Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 09:23 AM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningbreath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know the devs...slavishly stick to the original server progression but it's really hard to find a tank these days. Monks, rogues and rangers are everywhere but actual plate tanks don't seem to be around. I did some /who all checks last night and I could almost count the plate classes in a 7-level range on one hand.

The choices for people wanting to play a tank kind of stink. You either play a warrior with nothing but his gear and taunt/kick for abilities or go sk/pal with that GODAWFUL hybrid exp penalty.

Plate armor of any kind is overpriced and overly rare. It takes high smithing to make and in regular gameplay situations you'll not even get to play just because the groups out there have already settled on a monk/ranger to "tank".

What's odd is even back in the day the game was packed to the gills with warriors especially. Finding tanks at low-mid level wasn't a problem either.
couple things. firstly, anon (/a) players do not show up in your /w all searches. secondly, as someone else mentioned, people are smarter this time around. a lot of people went warrior back in the day because they were young, and it seemed like a pretty easy and straight forward class.

good luck !

Sirken's Twitch Stream - www.twitch.tv/sirken_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Accusing me of simultaneous favoritism for two opposing guilds involves a special kind of stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
going after sirken is like going to a cheerleader convention and punching the only one that bothered to talk to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
I've met Sirken IRL.. he ain't jelly of shit

Old 10-14-2013, 09:47 AM
Sarnak

Tried a SK. Even at level 3 the xp penalty is brutally obvious. Deleted him

Tried a Warrior. Got him to level 6 but it started to sink in that I wasn't going to be able to fund him properly, at least for a good while.
Last edited by Kohedron; 10-14-2013 at 10:13 AM..
Old 10-14-2013, 09:55 AM
Planar Protector

OP's perceptions are off, imo. There are lots of monks and not very many paladins, true. But there are a lot of warriors and a fair number of SKs on the server. Rogues (and to a lesser extent, rangers) feel more common than they actually are because they are almost always looking for a group, whereas almost any other class in the game can spend some time soloing if they want to. But in actuality rangers are the least popular class and rogues are bottom half of popularity or lower.

Tank gear isn't really any more expensive than anyone else's gear. You can get cheap cobalt/deepwater/blood ember armor for a bunch of AC and handy clickies while looking for dex (for warriors only, of course) and ac/hp/stam/resist options for the other slots. Hybrids don't even need good weapons or haste items since they keep aggro so well with spells. And warriors may be reliant on gear, but welcome to the life of a warrior.

I mean, you're really just whining. You think there are tons of rangers and monks on the server and that groups like them as tanks. How can you be complaining that there aren't enough tanks on the server when warriors, shadowknights, paladins, monk, and rangers all do tanking in xp groups? Lol.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
couple things. firstly, anon (/a) players do not show up in your /w all searches. secondly, as someone else mentioned, people are smarter this time around. a lot of people went warrior back in the day because they were young, and it seemed like a pretty easy and straight forward class.

good luck !
Yeah, I'm sure there are tons of /anon plate tanks leveling up. All that whining for buffs and ports gets annoying, and they don't want tells for groups anyway.

Oh wait.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:30 AM
Large Bat

xp penalty too high on hybrids.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:32 AM
Planar Protector

Gear enough to easily get a warrior up to 30-ish is very easy and cheap to come by. It's only after that when it becomes expensive.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:38 AM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elerion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, I'm sure there are tons of /anon plate tanks leveling up. All that whining for buffs and ports gets annoying, and they don't want tells for groups anyway.

Oh wait.
said the person who can not see through /anon, to the person that actually can see through /anon

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Sirken's Twitch Stream - www.twitch.tv/sirken_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Accusing me of simultaneous favoritism for two opposing guilds involves a special kind of stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
going after sirken is like going to a cheerleader convention and punching the only one that bothered to talk to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
I've met Sirken IRL.. he ain't jelly of shit

Old 10-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Sarnak

When velious comes out, hybrid penalties are gone, right? And iksar warriors will have some armor worth wearing? And warriors will become the more dominant raid tank class?

Each of those is an additional reason to roll a tanky class.

If you can't find someone tanky, blame your monk for not having WR bags or for actually wanting to loot! If he stays at or under 14 stones, you'll be fine!
Old 10-14-2013, 12:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
said the person who can not see through /anon, to the person that actually can see through /anon

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I thought about giving him the current /who all x vs. /who all count x numbers, but I figured he was a lost cause.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Kobold

There should be less tanks than DPS by a good margin. 6 man groups here bro, this ain't WoW. A full group only has a need for 1 tank but can support up to 4 DPS. If you've got a tank already who would you rather invite, a warrior or a monk/rogue? There are 6 DPS classes and 3 tank classes by my count (rng/war/mnk/nec/mag/wiz vs sk/war/pal). If you do the math and there should be roughly 3-4 DPS per tank that means if you see double the monks and rogues that you do wars and sks then shit seems pretty good to me.

That being said, warrior dps is really good with good gear. Pal/SK dps is always gonna blow but it isn't like 10% of a dps class. Roles are far less strict here which is a huge part of the EQ appeal. An ench for example can outdps anyone if managing a pet well, but can be even more valuable doing no DPS at all. In the right situations shamans can be really good dps or a more valuable healer than a cleric, or help passively with buffs and slows. Monks and rangers can pretty much tank for exp groups all the way through if you do it right. 6 pet classes can make a rapist group, especially with a shaman mixed in, etc etc.

Instead of saying - I can't find a Pal/SK/War so I can't do anything, think outside the box a bit man.
Closed Thread