Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 09:58 PM
Kobold

Default Solo Shadowknight vs Monk- snare question

From the numerous threads/articles I have read, it seems players generally consider soloing a monk to be easier/simpler/better than soloing a SK. Damage avoidance and DPS both being on the monk's side.

Not much is made of the SK's ability to snare - outside of fear-kiting. I am wondering how powerful a tool it becomes when soloing in a dungeon and preventing runners.

Is this ability enough to allow a SK to solo deeper in some of the L30-55 dungeons than a monk can, or is the ability not really enough to tip the scales in the SK/monk debate when it comes to solo tanking dungeon mobs?
Old 05-19-2020, 10:51 AM
Planar Protector

Sure, snare is useful for preventing runners, but I would not recommend fear kiting in a dungeon unless you are super familiar with the layout/pathing. SK solo fear kiting is best done outdoors where you have room to work.

The thing that really puts monks ahead of SKs in the solo department is their Mend skill. A free heal on a short-ish cooldown is huge, that and their far superior dps.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:35 AM
Planar Protector

Runners are largely a non issue by pulling the mobs to a good location. When they start running you can almost always dps them down before you get adds. If you do get adds you can just feign them off anyways. Running mobs don't move very fast on P99.

Now TLPs is another story... running mobs move VERY fast. One of the few ways tlps are harder than P99.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:03 AM
Planar Protector

To solo anything impressive in dungeons, assuming you aren't massively over-leveled for the place, an SK needs a runway to do much. A fear runway. It also requires you to be very smart about your snare and fear duration to know just where and when you should be using/casting what and it also requires you too keep careful respawn timers/watch.

Basically, it's PITA but SK solo some surprisingly powerful stuff if you can find and keep the runway clear. It wouldn't surprise me at all that an SK could solo things that a monk couldn't, but that's not going to be a very common occurrence. One of the main problems getting an initial foothold to even start clearing your "ideal" runway is that you often need one ore more other highways to get to it. Additionally summoning mobs can mess up the fear strat, too, when you need to pull the mob back to the beginning of the runway.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:15 AM
Sarnak

As a monk in dungeon crawls you can avoid most fleeing by killing within the aggro radius of another mob while remaining out of line of sight of said other mob. Things to note attempting this, if the other mob is a priest class it complicates things because not only is your mob you're trying to kill won't flee adding more damage done to you the priest will heal it prolonging your kill.

Attempt at your own risk but its really a win if you are skilled and patient
Old 05-20-2020, 09:46 AM
Planar Protector

The monk definitly wins for the speed, 0doubt... As to what each class can solo, if you take out expensive clicky I think it would pretty much depend on what they fight... Lots of people underestimate the SKs...
Old 05-21-2020, 10:54 AM
Sarnak

Not weighing in on which is better however, I did want to point out that if you snare a mob then get it to 25% then fear it it will stand still and not fight. It's a useful trick.
Closed Thread