Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 11:51 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doil_Boil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its not classic in that back in the velious/kunark era it was far from common. I remember getting groups with my druid because people needed evacs out of dungeons.
A lot of things on P99 are more common than they were during Velious on Live, look at how many people have level 60's on p99. There are more of every item on P99 than there was on Live during Velious, epics, jboots, haste items, and everything else.

I would bet the top guilds that actually had access to Puppet Strings were doing this on a small scale by 2001, but didn't post it on Allakhazam/forums because Verant was so notorious for nerfing things.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:53 AM
Aviak

I think a lot of has to do with recharging not being mainstream knowledge on live rather then the mechanics of charm and quests or the existence of Puppet Strings. Recharging was much more of an "in" thing among higher end guilds and that's really the key to churning out OT hammers on the scale you see here.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:21 PM
Fire Giant

You know what else isn't classic? Kunark era for 5+ years.

Try red today pals.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboboo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You know what else isn't classic? Kunark era for 5+ years.

Try red today pals.
Didn't Red also have Kunark for way longer than it should have?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Didn't Red also have Kunark for way longer than it should have?
Doesn't red have such a low population that it feels like a godforsaken ghost town?

During classic era I remember how camped everything was. Pretty sure the server pops for most servers was more like 1600-2000 during the heyday. Either that, or the population trended much lower in level.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:28 PM
Fire Giant

The main problem I see with the hammer, by the way, is that it essentially has made wizards and druids useless in deep dungeon groups.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:52 PM
Fire Giant

Hammers via puppet strings definitely happened on live in kunark era. Same as bard AOE kiting definitely happened, and MQ's/Recharges definitely happened. The player base on live was much more fractured though. Most of this stuff was talked about in guild irc channels and forums. Here, everyone uses this one forum and learns how everyone else is playing the game. On live, in classic era, most people were happy to be able to camp 5 spawns with a full group. Here, trio's are laying waste to 15-20 spawns before repops. Player knowledge, server age, gear saturation, all very very different than classic on live. Which leads to things like everyone over level 50 buying an OT hammer via puppet strings if they are feeling lazy.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:40 PM
Planar Protector

I actually did the quest on live. Back in the day it wasn't AS bad because the OT was a pretty happening spot for exp grps. You just kept your eyes out for braids.

I'm pretty sure most folks knew about the quest, but expectations for fast travel weren't really a thing yet. Taking an hour to move from A to B in game was just part of the charm of EQ...also, fewer folks were raiding and required fast urgent travel.

In the top guilds I'm certain that they were using puppet strings in era.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:23 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doil_Boil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The main problem I see with the hammer, by the way, is that it essentially has made wizards and druids useless in deep dungeon groups.
Druids and wizards, especially wizards, are nearly useless in deep dungeon groups anyways. Besides, your average grouper doesn't have an OT hammer.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:58 AM
Planar Protector

I think one of the most amazing things about P99 is that we are reliving a classic game, and using our current day game knowledge and technology to play it out in a way it never was before.

I wonder how many other games if rebooted would end up vastly different.