Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 04:43 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldiri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Appreciate all the input. I got a little help and port to commons. Got attacked while porting, and game crashed, attacked by griffin twice while loggin in, I was almost lvl 10, but just de-leveled to 8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Today is my birthday and had the day off work so I’ve basically spent my day off de-leveling.... it’s a little frustrating spending all this time seeing progress and now it’s all for nothing.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:59 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldiri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Today is my birthday and had the day off work so I’ve basically spent my day off de-leveling.... it’s a little frustrating spending all this time seeing progress and now it’s all for nothing.
First happy birthday!

You choose hard class to play, Rouge is duo/group class, not solo. But luckily you are at sub 10 level. Start a new one, you can always later continue with Rouge, start say Magician, you will have a pet (at lvl 4), it will be so much easier. Sometimes, if it gets too hot, you use pet to sacrifice for you, keeping NPC in fight while you start running toward guard or zone line...

If you want even faster & easier first few levels, start with Necromancer, you get pet at lvl 1 (as soon as you get enough gold to buy a spell). Gnome Necromancer is not that evil and not that complicated regarding faction, although I did died several times because of faction, forgot to use Invisibility spell you get at low levels)

Just give it a try, you may like pet class much better. I started with 3 easy toons (Druid, Magician & Necromancer) since I didn't know which one would be easiest for me to play. They are now at 35-40 lvl and I still play all three. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I would NEVER EVER play a Rouge. I'm too bad and clumsy player for it.

p.s.
What is your in-game name?
Last edited by pivo; 11-11-2020 at 06:02 PM..
Old 11-11-2020, 07:04 PM
Planar Protector

Rogue is hardest class in game to solo. They are the worst at it.

I don't know how you lost an entire level de-leveling though. Whatever you were doing when you were doing that, avoid it.

Find mobs that are good exp for how difficult they are. Don't kill monsters that can almost kill you. That gets to be impossible pretty quick where anything blue con can murder you fast. The game is designed for groups.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:29 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
First happy birthday!

You choose hard class to play, Rouge is duo/group class, not solo. But luckily you are at sub 10 level. Start a new one, you can always later continue with Rouge, start say Magician, you will have a pet (at lvl 4), it will be so much easier. Sometimes, if it gets too hot, you use pet to sacrifice for you, keeping NPC in fight while you start running toward guard or zone line...

If you want even faster & easier first few levels, start with Necromancer, you get pet at lvl 1 (as soon as you get enough gold to buy a spell). Gnome Necromancer is not that evil and not that complicated regarding faction, although I did died several times because of faction, forgot to use Invisibility spell you get at low levels)

Just give it a try, you may like pet class much better. I started with 3 easy toons (Druid, Magician & Necromancer) since I didn't know which one would be easiest for me to play. They are now at 35-40 lvl and I still play all three. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

p.s.
Thanks for the advice. I still want to play the rogue, but I may roll some other toons to keep my frustration at bay. I’m Haldiri on Green.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:48 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rogue is hardest class in game to solo. They are the worst at it.

I don't know how you lost an entire level de-leveling though. Whatever you were doing when you were doing that, avoid it.

Find mobs that are good exp for how difficult they are. Don't kill monsters that can almost kill you. That gets to be impossible pretty quick where anything blue con can murder you fast. The game is designed for groups.
UPDATE ON MY ROGUE ADVENTURE
I was bound in Qeynos and decided to make a run to East Karana. I never made it. I got halfway there and was ambushed by a Griffin and was dead within 2 seconds. I got a buff, and headed back to grab my corpse, but my buff wore off before I got there. I did bring in some help, recovered my gear, and was on my way to commons... so I thought. While I was getting a port, a lion attacked me so I had to run for it. while I was running, my game crashed. When I logged back in, I had died and I was back in quenos , where I was bound. Had a friend buff me again, this time close to my corpse, but then my game froze up.... died again..... went back to corpse with a few buffs and finally recovered my gear and got a buff, but just outside of commons another griffin attacked, my partner had cast a levitating spell on me and I must have gotten to close. I had no warning. Yes, lost a whole level within a couple hours. But fear not, I did not give up. I told my story to a lvl 40 and he ported me to some great places and pulled a bunch of mobs for massive XP! I am currently lvl 9 and only about a half bar away from level 10 so I’ve made back almost everything I lost. It’s been quite a ride! This game is def not boring!
Old 11-11-2020, 09:59 PM
Orc

Travel tip. Try to run on the “walls” or edges of the zone. Preferably up higher when you can. Mobs tend to path there less frequently and it will be less dangerous. Study the wiki map before exploring too far.

Head on a swivel and right click consider EVERYTHING that moves or stands still.

Rogue is a tough first class. Maybe check a Druid for an easier learning curve. EQ can be a cruel and harsh mistress.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:10 PM
Planar Protector

Here’s the thing. No matter what you have in your mind about classes prior to you playing EQ, just get rid of that. Class imbalances are enormous in this game. Real class balancing didn’t start until the expansions came out, but even then, it took several expansions beyond classic expansions to make the classes “equal”

So rogue is a cool class, but not a solo class and certainly not a class I would recommend for a new player. You could reroll as a Necromancer and be level 12 faster than it would take you to get your rogue from 9 to 12. It’s just how broken this game is.

The reason why I am telling you this is not to force my opinion on you, it’s to help you / keep you from getting frustrated and burned out from the difficulty of playing a melee class. Pack in 99 my first character was a barb warrior. I thought he would be such a bad ass, but in the end, after it took me months, maybe a year just to get to him to 46, I realized I had a really crappily geared warrior that really didn’t offer much utility and was a major PITA to level, find groups, etc.

So when I restarted on here about 6 years ago, I went Necro. It was a completely different experience this go around. I actually found myself exploring more, enjoying content, and actually gaining exp at a consistent rate
Old 11-12-2020, 03:02 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
First happy birthday!

p.s.
Pivo,
Appreciate you jumping in game and helping me out. Things are going a lot better now. This is a pretty awesome community. I’ve never posted on a forum and literally that same day have someone jump into the game and help out without even being asked. Thanks again!