Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Aviak

If boxing is that important to people the best move is really to abandon project 1999, instead of complaining about not being allowed to do it here.

Those who like to play EQ in a server where boxing is allowed can do it anywhere else. Even on Live they can do it, and for free.

These constant complaints about this rule are nothing but attempts to try to remove it, which is not fair for those who like it and have no other option but this server.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg noboxing.jpg (19.1 KB, 261 views)
Old 04-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Fire Giant

It's not going anywhere. Boxing will never be allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Cooper, Senior Artist, SOE
Shut up and give me my ten bucks per month, little man. My Porsche needs some performance upgrades.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Decaying Skeleton

i understand the point of a solo class but thats just not my style. i wasnt complaining was just sharing an opinion/point of view. i dont agree therefore i go somewhere else (eqmac). sorry if i offended anyone that was not my intent. nor was it to persuade boxxing to be allowed. it was just my 2cp. so thanks for flames?
Old 04-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Kobold

It's ok if you're only half the man everyone else is.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:45 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekanc [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's ok if you're only half the man everyone else is.
Not going to lie but that's a pretty f'ed up thing to say. Keyboard warrior eh?
Old 04-22-2012, 02:53 AM
Decaying Skeleton

I get that two-boxing is undesirable, but thats far less of a pain in the backside than not being able to play at the same time as my Mrs.

It's a month since 'applying' for the IP exemption, and still hasn't been done - frankly I'd prefer people 2box away than this 'fix' be in place.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchill [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I get that two-boxing is undesirable, but thats far less of a pain in the backside than not being able to play at the same time as my Mrs.

It's a month since 'applying' for the IP exemption, and still hasn't been done - frankly I'd prefer people 2box away than this 'fix' be in place.
I really, really hear you on this. It was at least 3 weeks before we received our IP exemption and I felt every hour of it. I don't really know what else to say except hang in there. Did you do everything by the book?

Apart from that... no 2-boxing is basically is what makes this server have such a high population. It's the (mostly) Classic EverQuest that we remember. Grouping is all-important and there is an extremely active lower-level community.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:32 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Yeah did everything by the book, but no views and no replies.

That being said, whilst two-boxing is the big bad, I've noticed as I start grinding my way that zones like WC/EC just have twinks grouped up with a guildie powerlevelling them. I don't see how this 'defeats' two-boxing at all. The same behaviour is still taking place, I just don't have my wife to group with so its an adventure of soloing.

Sure there are some legit groups, but I think now I'm in the teens its becoming about the stage the powerlevel phenomenon kicks in.

Pretty lame.

At least I will finally be able to buy some decent gear soon to make it less crappy, but geez it would be nice if we could duo.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchill [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've noticed as I start grinding my way that zones like WC/EC just have twinks grouped up with a guildie powerlevelling them. I don't see how this 'defeats' two-boxing at all.
There is a lot of that going on. I don't mind powerlevelling as long as its not affecting other groups in the area. For instance, if a PL group turns up in Mistmoore and starts pulling everything during the peak hours (which has happened to me and I have seen it going on while on alts) then its wrecking the area for other groups.

There is still a marked difference between some guy PLing a group at the orc camp in EC/Crushbone and permanently having a second character under your control. There's other servers on the emulator if you want to go and have a go at that and their populations aren't too shabby in some cases.

What people don't like is others getting an advantage which is understandable if you're just starting and there's casters running amuck in Froglok robes and shiny armors. Unfortunately the playing field isn't and never will be level - and depending how long you've been around on the server that's just how it is (and probably why there's some backing for wiping Red and making a 2nd Blue server).

Allowing boxing wouldn't change the server population much, you'll just have less people who are playing 1 character as boxers don't like grouping and the rest won't want the extra LFG time. I'd go as far to say that it would kill off the population in the 35-45 range where groups are already a bit more tricky to come by.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:06 AM
VIP / Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Amelinda Send a message via Yahoo to Amelinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by obie26 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Unfortunatly i will no longer be logging into P99 due to this rule. The reason i started on this server was to play with a good friend I met back while playing Live. Back then things were different as i had no obligations in life. I dont remember how many times Ive counted 8+ hour grind sessions. As i seen some say they play on top of work, kids, etc. I ask how you do it? Having a 6 month old daughter now, my play times are random at best. Not only that, when (not if) she decides to wake up i must walk away from my computer/group. That said, proper group etiquette is compleatly gone. Find a replacment? Not likely. Piss people off to the point they wont group you anymore? More often than not. Now if i could create a little healer bot, It wouldnt be compleatly pointless to log in for any less that 2-3 hours. Because lets face it if you cant get at least that much time you aint getting xp. I see both sides of the fence however. I understand the rules and would never break them. I started on Live with a computer that could barely run the game so boxing was out of the question. It used to grind my gears when i would see a boxxer that wouldnt group me. BUT. An elitist d*ckhead is still an elitist d*ckhead no matter what! They exsist in every game, and they arent going away. Basically what i found is if they have that mentality, would you really want to group with them anyway? Now after having boxed up to 5 toons on Live I never once turned down a player that found me and asked to join. Key words, found me. I would camp deep knowing that anyone that did find me would more that likely be a quality player. Not because im an elitist d*ckhead, but because a bad player is a liability. Just like in any group. Also if that player happened to be a healer/slower/tank, thats a bonus, less work i had to do. I guess thats where the difference stands, i was always willing to drop toons to add real people to my group. Which is why i dont agree with the no boxxing policy. If i start with a group i will always have a group, where as building a group takes time and effort along with agreement and understanding. I do think a lot of good can come from allowing 1 boxed toon per person for the simple fact that 2 chars alone cant take on what a full group can. Everyone says RL comes first, everyone plays to have fun, why cant i do both?
I'm sorry to hear that you feel this way. When I started on P99 I was the single mother of a barely 3 year old little girl and a 20 month old son. They are not able to care for themselves any better than a 6 month old. In fact they could just climb better and had better fine motor skills to get into trouble. I limited myself to a few hours a night of EQ. I have 3 soloable classes. Bard, Mage, Necro. I never logged in when they were awake.

I did start playing when they were awake at times and you know...I had to walk away from my group occasionally. They almost always understood. One or two people would be miffed out of like 20 that it happened with. but whatever. They could suck it up. My babies are far more important to me than some dumb game. Just like your baby is far more important to you than Everquest. I bet most players would be totally fine with you walking away mid-group to settle her or just logging suddenly due to emergencies. it happens.
PS: To the people worried about ip exemptions, it's coming. real life & other stuff has gotten in the way. also computer problems got in the way. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

just please be patient and do not pm me about them.