Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 12:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Clerics get two castable DA’s in Classic. Bards and paladins can sing/cast DA in Kunark. Necros are very versatile but not the only classes who can pull off these odd invulnerable pulls.
I specifically said Necros can double DA and FD[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I am aware other double DA classes exist, and can do pulls. Any class that can wear https://wiki.project1999.com/Earring...e_Frozen_Skull can do double DA pulls as well.

Necros are unique because they can also FD after a double DA pull. Shamans can do this if they have the items, but it takes quite a while to get a Shaman up to speed. A Necro just needs a level 20 spell and an idol, which costs less than 1k. Shadowknights would be able to do this too if they ever got Harmshield on P99.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 07-08-2020 at 12:17 PM..
Old 07-08-2020, 09:34 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Necros are the only class that can FD and double Divine Aura. They cast harmshield first, start running, then use Shiny brass idol click to instantly refresh Divine Aura when the first one wears off. This means they can do Pulling through dangerous areas twice as long and then FD. This strategy tends to be used more in raiding, but it is a big perk for necro pulling.

EDIT: Shamans can do this too with FD ring, Idol, and Earring of frozen skull, but necros can do this with just idol.

Necros could tripple DA with earring if you can live during the cast time
How interesting! I hadn't considered using DA as a planned part of a pull. Is the idea that one could agro something, DA through a nasty pack of adds, get some distance on the pack and pull off a snare + FD? As I'm saying/typing it, it seems like that must be it? A great idea that I definitely hadn't considered...
Old 07-08-2020, 11:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philistine [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How interesting! I hadn't considered using DA as a planned part of a pull. Is the idea that one could agro something, DA through a nasty pack of adds, get some distance on the pack and pull off a snare + FD? As I'm saying/typing it, it seems like that must be it? A great idea that I definitely hadn't considered...
That is the general idea, yes. However, with a large train of monsters behind you, it can be difficult to cast more than one spell before the train hits you and kills you.

These kinds of pulls are easier with two people. The Necro will pull the monsters and train them to a specific location, using DA to keep themselves alive.

The secondary puller will be waiting at the specific location, and they will tag the desired monster out of the train. They bring the monster away from where the train will path back.

When the desired monster has been safely grabbed and it is away from the train's path, the Necro can zone or FD the train.

I haven't seen a lot of examples of people doing these kinds of pulls solo, but I am sure it can be done with enough practice, at least in certain areas. Items like https://wiki.project1999.com/Scepter_of_the_Forlorn could help quickly snare the target so you have as much time as possible to cast FD before the train hits you.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is monk the end all be all for high end dungeon / raid pulling?
Monks do most of the heavy lifting but necros also have lots of tricks in their kit.

If you want to be part of a pull team in the raid scene, just decide if you want to be a melee or a caster and pick one of the two.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:59 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Monks do most of the heavy lifting but necros also have lots of tricks in their kit.

If you want to be part of a pull team in the raid scene, just decide if you want to be a melee or a caster and pick one of the two.
So is that a 'no' for SK being a viable raid pulling class?
Old 07-09-2020, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pretty much.

SK is the least useful raid class imo.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:56 PM
Fire Giant

Yes, monks are best pullers for raids. But for group/dungeon content, such as Sebilis, i almost prefer pulling on my enchanter. Especially anything outside of the jug/king camp.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Shadow Knight is perfectly capable of doing the job well. However too many players on P1999 seriously believe hybrids are nigh useless and can't do anything at all, so in many guilds the SK's won't even be allowed the chance. As with so many things in these online RPG's, public perception quite often trumps actual reality. Play a Shadow Knight if you like being an armored melee with the ability to feign split if you need to. Do not play one if you want pulling to be your primary role on P1999. If the latter's your goal it's easier to make a Monk than try to fight against the hivemind.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 07-09-2020 at 06:47 PM..
Old 07-09-2020, 08:18 PM
Sarnak

I had a 65 monk and ranger live, have a 59 monk on blue and a 54 necro. I honestly think any class can pull well with the player who knows how to use the tools, but holding player skill equal, some classes are more well-suited for pulling in different situations than others.

Rangers are kings for pulling outdoors but this limitation doesn't translate as well to indoor dungeons. Karnor's I'd always take a ranger pulling. In PoP, I always brought my ranger for pulling since most of the xp planes were outdoors; if Bastion of Thunder needed pulling, I'd bring my lower enchanter. Harmony, archery AA's, tracking, just made pulling in PoDisease and such so easy.

For solo xping, necro, sk, or monk are all equally suited for pulling though I think necro or sk is slightly stronger since for soloing, pace doesn't matter as much but having lots of tools available does. Necro probably wins here with access to snare, root, mez, undead lull, harmshield, and FD. I prefer monk, though, because I like the way monk mechanics work even if I think necro or sk is stronger. For chain pulling in a group indoors I definitely prefer monk because of how their FD works.

For raiding pulling, this is mostly about coordination than classes. As a monk, it is a bit obnoxious to bring an extra 2 or 3 bags worth of rip sticks, pumice stones/golem wands and such but they can do the job.

I saw this video recently of Wickid, an SK from DB, pulling Vilefang without Chetari faction and my hat goes off to him for creativity using CoS, dots, FD, to train VF up out of the pits through the Chetari: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO2ls0zK47g
Last edited by Hisamori; 07-09-2020 at 08:35 PM..
Old 07-09-2020, 09:41 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That is the general idea, yes. However, with a large train of monsters behind you, it can be difficult to cast more than one spell before the train hits you and kills you.

These kinds of pulls are easier with two people. The Necro will pull the monsters and train them to a specific location, using DA to keep themselves alive.

The secondary puller will be waiting at the specific location, and they will tag the desired monster out of the train. They bring the monster away from where the train will path back.

When the desired monster has been safely grabbed and it is away from the train's path, the Necro can zone or FD the train.

I haven't seen a lot of examples of people doing these kinds of pulls solo, but I am sure it can be done with enough practice, at least in certain areas. Items like https://wiki.project1999.com/Scepter_of_the_Forlorn could help quickly snare the target so you have as much time as possible to cast FD before the train hits you.
How interesting! Thank you for the insight!
Closed Thread