Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 04:37 AM
Skeleton

Default A few SK noob leveling questions

Hey,

Back playing for first time since RoK. I think I got an iskar warrior to lvl 32 back in the day. I really didn't like a couple things about the class: downtime was too long; finding corpse was a pain. I mostly just solo. I am playing SK thinking these things will be a bit less bad with an SK? I guess maybe downtime won't be a big difference, but wonder what your thoughts are on this.

Also, I'm upto level 5 at this point with my DE SK. I have crafted a full set of patchwork armor. Will tailoring be helpful upto for making bandages? I have started on my studded armor set. My plan is to use blacksmithing making studs and steel bonings until I have enough loot and blacksmithing skill to make banded armor and forged weapons. Is crafting like this going to save money, or will drop items be far superior for me/crafting will be too expensive and time consuming with my plan?

I know that 1hd vs 2hd is a well worn topic on this forum for DE SKs. My understanding is that 2hd is superior for damage, so I might need to keep a couple sets of weapons to use bash. I should concentrate on 2hd correct?

Thanks in advance. Nice to be playing some evercrack again. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-05-2012, 08:30 AM
Sarnak

Pre level 10 and even level 20 some, its not really worth it to use 2hd weapons because of the damage cap (pre level 10 the most you can hit for is 20 dmg, at 10 the most is 30 give or take a few) and since you're starting out the better faster 2hd weapons aren't in your price range most likely
(tower guard's, axe of the iron back, runic carver, etc)
so I would suggest sticking with a 1hd and shield (sword and board) especially because you're sporting patchwork you're going to need the AC. But it is good to keep the skills up as always
Are you a die hard about getting your own gear?
If not people give stuff away here pretty commonly, myself included.
If you see me online hit me up I am sure I can spare you some newbie gear (small bronze armor, fine steel weapons) if you happen to catch me.
Down time is just part of the game, especially here on P99.
SK is probably better than most melee for minimizing your downtime

Kalepto Mayniak - 54 Half-Elf Rogue

Ithamar Kenobi- 57 High Elf Magician
171 research skill
Last edited by Heavydrop; 10-05-2012 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: update
Old 10-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Planar Protector

Buying a set of banded from a blacksmith in EC for 85-90pp is much cheaper than training up your smithing by yourself and making banded. Studded is not worth it. In general, try grouping as much as possible, since soloing an SK with no gear is balls-slow. You can do 1-10 in an instant soloing in EC with buffs from people in the tunnel; past that, you should try to find groups, preferably in dungeons, which give you more EXP per kill (this is called ZEM, Zone Experience Modifier). Unrest is popular starting at around level 12, and Mistmoore starting at around level 30.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 10-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Skeleton

I really appreciate the feedback. I guess I'll put my blacksmithing file back in the bank for now. Am I missing something or patchwork sells for more than the hides+schematic, as well as tarnished sells for more than rusty. I guess maybe a way to pump up my money a little bit.

As far as downtime goes, is a Pally going to be drastically better than SK? I'm definitely going to just try to stick to groups if I can. Exp bonus sounds great. I assume that outside of crushbone doesn't give the bonus but inside does?
Old 10-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Ferok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As far as downtime goes, is a Pally going to be drastically better than SK? I'm definitely going to just try to stick to groups if I can. Exp bonus sounds great. I assume that outside of crushbone doesn't give the bonus but inside does?
Shadowknights are, on paper, better soloers than Paladins.

Paladin gets a little more viable as time goes on, and probably has an easier time soloing mobs at the front of a dungeon while waiting on groups. With root (L22) and self healing, if you can tank effectively in a zone, you can probably kill the first 2-3 mobs in it. It'll be a little slow for xp, but if you're just sitting LFG anyway it's a nice option.

SK has a really nice option in open, outdoor zones of fear-kiting which starts at level 15 AFAIK, which should be much more efficient. This obviously doesn't work in a dungeon, but SK's should be somewhat viable there as well. Feign death and snare are hard to overlook.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Skeleton

Sweet. I'm kinda getting attached to this DE SK for vanity reasons. Glad to hear both are viable for soloing.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Banned

dark elf warrior imo.. or iksar warrior 8)
Old 10-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaeophi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
dark elf warrior imo.. or iksar warrior 8)
I kinda found the regen for iksar to be moot due to their armor restrictions. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I think troll prob strickly better if I wanted to pick a lizard.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

What's your case for DE fighter over SK? I found solo play unbearable with iksar warrior. No healing is a real pain. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Ferok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I kinda found the regen for iksar to be moot due to their armor restrictions. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I think troll prob strickly better if I wanted to pick a lizard.
Iksar have higher AC caps. Armor restrictions are a pain, but they are gone come Velious.

Warriors are a terrible choice if you want to solo at all, on the other hand.