Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Large Rat

Default What is the best aoe/multiple target tank?

hi, i am new to everquest and just made my first eQ character. what class is best for multiple-target tanking?
paladin or warrior? i do not want to play a shadowknight since they are evil and i will get attacked. so i want to play
either a warrior or pally. which one has the better defense and which can hold multiple targets? which is the best all around
for multiple target tanking is basically what im asking.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

They're all good at taking damage, if that's what you're asking. At later levels, the warrior distinguishes himself slightly in regards to damage mitigation. The problem with warrior is his ability to gain and retain aggro is lacking, in relation to the pally and especially the sk, who has the best snap aggro. With paladin, you'll be able to attract aggro with your blind spell and later on, your stuns. If making a warrior, try to invest in a couple Osidian Shards, or other similar proc'ing weapons. They attract a lot of aggro.

As far as holding the attention of adds, a lot of that relies on the rest of your group, whether or not they're assisting you, if there's a good CC player, etc. Grab the attention of mobs if you can, but focus on taking down one target at a time. Otherwise, you're wasting healer mana.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Sarnak

The Polished Granite Tomahawk from Highpass and the Axe of the Slayers from Rathe Mountains proc a damage shield/STR buff that also has a slight AoE threat generation. They are not especially good weapons at the highest levels, but the PGT (mainhanding an Obsidian Shard) served me well until I got a pair of Ykeshan short swords. The only problem is that Berserker Strength will not stack with Shaman or Druid STR, but AoE taunt can be worth it, especially to get a head start on building threat on a mezzed mob without breaking mez.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Planar Protector

"hi, i am new to everquest and just made my first eQ character. what class is best for multiple-target tanking? "

If you're genuinely new to Everquest, then you should be informed of the following: Multiple-target tanking is not generally a factor of very great significance in this game. Both pulling and crowd control has vastly more power here than what you've probably seen in other games. As such, most the time in groups the tank only has to worry about one mob at a time, while a designated crowd controller worries about the rest. Real AOE tanking 4+ mobs at a time like you often see in newer games is uncommon in Everquest beyond a few specific, rare situations. It isn't something a new player should concern himself with.

Since you rule out Shadow Knights, I won't discuss them. Between the two classes you list as options (Warrior versus Paladin), the basic distinction is one of durability versus aggro control. Warriors have a significant durability advantage--they have the highest hit points and best mitigation but weak aggro control. Paladins, particularly at higher levels, offer very much superior initial aggro control coupled with the ability to temporarily "shut down" most monsters via back-to-back stuns. Paladins also offer better utility in general, while Warriors can level faster (in Everquest, different classes level at different rates).

As a rule, I recommend Warriors to players who intend to mainly tank for raids, and Paladins to players who are primarily group-focused. Warriors are the prime raid tank but can be frustrating in groups due to how unreliable their aggro often is, and can't effectively solo, while Paladins do well in groups and can solo a little, but have a rather weak raid role.

Danth
Old 07-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Sarnak

SK hands down. /thread

If you don't want to get attacked just make a human or erudite.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumZebra [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
SK hands down. /thread

If you don't want to get attacked just make a human or erudite.
Yeah, human sk of bertox is probably one of the least kos classes.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Sarnak

Human cleric of Bertox and Eruidite Cleric of Cazic are least kos.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:48 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samrothstein [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Enchanter best aoe tank, think about it for 2 seconds and yeah.
Yeah, ok. Try that anywhere with magic/stun immune mobs. Giants, dragons, wurms...not too many "aoe" groups farming kael drakkel, skyshrine, or ntov.
Closed Thread