Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 11:34 AM
Planar Protector

Default [Department of Fun] presents the Rivervale Alleycat Race! FRIDAY, June 10, 8PM EST

Aren't we about due for another one of the DoF's super fun player-run events? Yes, yes we are.

I'm putting the important info in the front, guys!

The Department of Fun
presents
The Rivervale Alleycat Race

WHEN THE RACE STARTS: Friday, June 10, 8PM EST
MEET-UP LOCATION: with Tadhg at the PoD in Rivervale
WHAT TO ROLL: lvl 1 halfling rogue
WHEN COMPETITORS SHOULD SHOW UP: 10 minutes prior, especially if you need a refresher course on hide/sneak. We will be writing names down so we don't confuse you with real lvl 1 halfling rogues who aren't doing crazy things.
WHEN VOLUNTEERS SHOULD SHOW UP: 20 minutes prior - know the race course beforehand, please! I will need my sower, binder, and finish line watchers in my group specifically. PLEASE have some form of see invis available to you! Clickies, worn, spells, songs, I don't care.

Race course preview (it's a video, click the link!)
(Disclaimer: course preview not an accurate reflection of mob positions during actual race, and route taken is neither slowest nor fastest possible)

Official stream: http://www.twitch.tv/p99dof

Prizes!
1st place: Silver Chitin Hand Wraps
2nd place: First pick of 5 items from the DoF grab bag
3rd place: Second pick of 3 items from the DoF grab bag
Finished (participated): 1 item from the grab bag (picked in order of finishing)
Dead F*cking Last: It's a surprise!
Bonus for the first person to beat the best time made by DoF course testers (25m 29s): Free JBoots MQ

BUT SORN, I WANT TO HELP OUT: DoF is seeking pacers and finish line watchers for this event! Come help me so I don't have to be in several places at once! Report about 20 minutes before race starts. (You can also advertise in the hour leading up to the event in whatever zone you're in.)

BUT SORN, I WANT TO RUN THE RACE FOR FUN BUT I WANT THE PRIZES TO GO TO SOMEONE WHO REALLY NEEDS THEM: No problem, you can opt out of prizes provided you tell us beforehand. Please note that this means ALL prizes, including the JBoots MQ offered as a bonus. If you have the ninja skills to beat my fastest tester and are so rich you don't care about the prizes, you can get your own JBoots.

BUT SORN, I WANT TO DONATE TO THE GRAB BAG/DoF: Contact me, Afeni, or Expediency regarding donations.

BUT SORN, I DON'T KNOW WHAT AN ALLEYCAT RACE IS: An alleycat race in the real world is essentially an unsanctioned or informal bicycle race, often organized and undertaken by bike messengers. There are no official safety precautions taken, no roads closed off for it. The emphasis is on participation rather than competition, with prizes often awarded to last place (occasionally called Dead F*cking Last, or DFL, like in our race).

Unlike real life, this race has no checkpoints or scavenger hunt style, and we're totally okay if you die (repeatedly) during the race.

RULES/FACTS

1. Must be lvl 1 halfling rogue with appropriate name that won't make staff want to ban you (fun suggestions: forrestgunk, hairyfootsies, runsforelevenses, preciousssss, smaugbait)
2. You can only have the two beneficial spells provided in the course of the race - frankly, you don't need anything else because the course can be completed well under 30 minutes with nothing if you're smart about it.
2a. The first beneficial spell is a SoW at the farm in EK (#5 on the map). Yes, I know it's a gamble. It's supposed to be. No, I'm not telling you the best way to get there.
2b. The second beneficial spell is a bind at high keep. It's 2 zones and spell time right before Kithicor Forest, so choose wisely.
3. You get a prize if you finish, no matter what. If you don't finish, you're dead to me. You can pick your prize based on order of finishing.
4. Last place gets a special prize, but it's not gonna be that awesome so don't try to vie for last place.
5. No lawyerquesting/drama. Play nice! Never let it get to RnF levels.
6. Pre-race taunting and insults allowed.

THE COURSE
Rivervale (PoD) > Misty Thicket > Runnyeye Citadel > Gorge of King Xorbb > Eastern Karana (SoW available at #5 on the map) > Highpass Hold (bind available in the keep) > Kithicor Forest > Rivervale (Zone-in)

THIS COURSE CAN BE COMPLETED BY EVERYONE USING HIDE/SNEAK. It likely won't take much more than an hour to an hour and a half for the slowest runner.

How we're dealing with finishing: Ideally I'll have 2 watchers on either side of the zoneline to take into account close finishes but poor zoning times, but if I don't have 2, whoever zones through first and can hail the watcher will win. This scenario goes for if I have 2 but competitors have to train the Kith watcher with undead.

Regarding finish times: With sow and invis, it takes me ~15min to complete this course. If I see times under 20 minutes and pacers can't verify you were racing the whole time without extra buffs, I'm going to DQ you for potential cheating. If you're doing something crazy like blitzing through Runnyeye or the gorge, PLEASE tell a volunteer. If you're lost for too long, call for help and I'll see if we can get you back on course.

If you have any questions, please post here!

Credits
Concept: Bailar
Testers: Bailar, Fox, Aalderon, Expediency

And many thanks to all our lovely, generous donators. To the one who donated 3k, you funded the first place prize [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

See you at the starting line!

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 05-24-2016, 11:52 AM
Banned

many of these names contain pop culture references and violate the naming policy

more events like this pls
Old 05-24-2016, 12:45 PM
Planar Protector

Sounds like fun.

I had a hard time following the direction in text so I made a map. Hopefully it's okay that I share this.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds like fun.

I had a hard time following the direction in text so I made a map. Hopefully it's okay that I share this.
No problem! That's part of why I made the course preview video. There are a few route variations one can try that are faster than other routes, but I'll leave that up to the runners to figure out [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

It's definitely fun. So fun that I think most of my testers/volunteers want to abandon me to run the race themselves =\

Retired from p99
Old 05-24-2016, 01:44 PM
Fire Giant

Ive farmed a lot of items again. Let me know if you want any for prizes.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:27 PM
Fire Giant

This looks awesome. Will definitely be there!
Old 05-24-2016, 03:04 PM
Fire Giant

This looks great! Ill be there helping or competing
Old 05-24-2016, 04:26 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624

should start the race at a time when it will hit nighttime approx 5 mins before the first people reach kithicor

undead love juicy halflings
Old 05-24-2016, 11:44 PM
Aviak

Lol will be entertaining to watch.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilkata [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ive farmed a lot of items again. Let me know if you want any for prizes.
I'll get back to you once I have an inventory of all our stuff because we've got a ton. You can do an inventory of yours if you want with /output inventory filename.txt

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce25r624 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
should start the race at a time when it will hit nighttime approx 5 mins before the first people reach kithicor

undead love juicy halflings
I'm pretty sure at some point during the race there will be undead in Kithicor.

Retired from p99
Closed Thread