Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 03:50 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default I despise this game, but also love it

Hey there! I'm new to Everquest and decided to start off from the roots. The game is absolutely kicking my ass and is pissing me off beyond reason because of the de-leveling mechanic, but god dang it, it's just the type of game I've always wanted to play! I'm a lv11 Enchanter called Eivor, currently loosing tons of xp trying to pass Kithicor Forest so i can reach High Keep.

I feel like a kid again playing this game. The lurking danger at every corner really helps me get immersed. The mature and super friendly community has made my so far short experience quite memorable and fun, so thank you! Also a huge thank you to the team behind this server. I tried playing retail, but for some reason it just didn't like my graphics card + I wasn't a fan of the redone lighting model. Classic just feels better.

P.S.

Special thanks to the top lads who bless you with Spirit of the Wolf. The true MVPs
Last edited by GrimSloth; 09-18-2020 at 04:14 PM..
Old 09-18-2020, 04:13 PM
Fire Giant

Welcome!! It is definitely punishing/enraging, but fun!! Kith is terrible at night only, I believe (never spent much time there), so it might be worth waiting until daylight to try to venture across!

And amen re: SoW!! Life is sooo much better with it than without!
Old 09-18-2020, 04:19 PM
Planar Protector

You've picked a tough class for a newbie.

If you're having too tough of a time, you might want to consider playing a druid, monk, necro or mage.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:50 PM
Planar Protector

Do consider sticking with the enchanter, though. Your progression will be more than just levels, gear, and research spells; it will also include learning new tactics and how to capitalize on game mechanics. Enchanters have so much control. You really learn how the game works if you have an enchanter. However, it requires some grinding/patience/grouping/help to get to 12 for charm, 16 for haste, 29 for clarity, and so on.

Also, yeah, Kith will be a breeze if you go between 6am and 8pm.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:46 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do consider sticking with the enchanter, though. Your progression will be more than just levels, gear, and research spells; it will also include learning new tactics and how to capitalize on game mechanics. Enchanters have so much control. You really learn how the game works if you have an enchanter. However, it requires some grinding/patience/grouping/help to get to 12 for charm, 16 for haste, 29 for clarity, and so on.

Also, yeah, Kith will be a breeze if you go between 6am and 8pm.
Yeah this. Enchanters in my eyes are the best class in the game outside of end game raiding (like kunark+velious end game raiding) and also one of the coolest classes in any mmo i've ever played. It's unique because enchanters really do have a high skill ceiling, whereas a lot of characters in classic everquest do not.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:20 PM
Planar Protector

There was a widely panned post by John Smedley, the bigwig at Verant back in the day, where he opined "people don't know what they really want, though they think they do".
Old 09-19-2020, 01:36 AM
Planar Protector

Awesome! Teens is HARD for enchanter! but it gets better, and then really better at 29
Old 09-19-2020, 01:40 PM
Fire Giant

Follow zone walls also, usually far less mobs along the walls of zones. Makes travel that much safer. Invis is your friend. But night time in kithicor means undead, undead see through regular invis. Make a hotkey for the /consider ability. It will be in the keyboards, mine is bound to V. When invis, target something and consider it. If it says regards you indifferently. It can't see you. If it says anything else. It can see you. Regards you dubiously, or threateningly , or scowls, ready to attack. All mean it will attack you on sight.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:06 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Thank you all for the advice! I've been really using the consider command a lot. Anything above blue is a no no! I also had Charm at lv12, but I really wanted to also get my new animation, since it also required less tiny daggers, i.e. I'd have to restock less often. But alas kithicor sucked my xp into the negatives. I'll definitely try going through the zone at a better time. First time I went through it, I had 0 trouble. So I was shocked at how many times I wiped this time around.

Also I'm definitely sticking to Enchanter. I tried a few other classes and nearly quit the game entirely because of it. Well... that's a lie, it was actually because I didn't know the mechanics and I did a lot of silly stuff. For instance, I didn't know you had a starting weapon, so I went fists up attacking some armadillos or rats(can't remember) as an ogre Shaman and died quite easily. Then I made a dwarf Warrior and died not once but TWICE in shallow water, because I didn't know you had to go in first person mode in order to swim up... After checking up some guides on youtube I figured some stuff out, like the sense heading macro, the location macro(saved me so many hours). Ultimately I got super interested in the Enchanter from RektYou's videos. I don't think there's a class like it in any other MMO out there! Being able to take the form of other races, manipulate your reputation and take control of them sounded super neat. Being a high elf, I am low on strength, so that's a pain in the buzzom, but it's alright.

While I'm at it, I'd like to shout out the druid Stanas, who gave me Sacrificial Dagger, Surei and Tirral for grouping up with me and telling me about the Crushbone quests, Vaero for saving me with a super clutch SotW buff aaand Vaelun for giving me Noble's Robes. I'm not sure if he was the guy, I was too excited to write down his name. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-19-2020, 03:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreenk317 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Regards you dubiously, or threateningly , or scowls, ready to attack. All mean it will attack you on sight.
Dubious isn't kill on sight.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Faction

-Mcoy
Closed Thread