Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 07:46 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default New guy here, having a blast

WoW player here, haven't really played EQ before much (I tried Live trial and f2p, got a few chars but max one was lvl 7, wasn't really thrilled with how Live worked).
Tried P99, ran into debugger bug and crashing. Fixed it by stopping AVG.
Made a half-elf druid on blue, Kelethin as starter town. I managed to fall down, and started killing stuff in the forest. Few bats and wasps down, I got ganked by an orc oracle who suddenly appeared behind me and one-shotted me.

Spent 15 minutes trying to find my corpse without any success. I was I don't know where. Deleted a character since it was still lvl 1 and made a new one. Let's go again!
Started close to the lift and guards this time. Got a few helpfull buffs - run speed and damage reflect I think, which made me godlike compared to what I was before, reflect pretty much doubling my DPS. Managed to get lvl 2! Ran around Greater Faydark, killed stuff, avoided getting killed, found a group of guys at what I gathered from ooc chat must've been orc hill.

They apologized to me because they were full. They. Apologized. Because they were full. And advised me to level to 4 before camping orc hill. I was stunned. Speechless.
Compared to other MMOs nowadays when most people just do their own thing until max lvl when they're forced into grouping - or play lobby-like matchup dungeons and battlegrounds - here the general community seems to work really well. Best that I've seen in a MMO.

Despite the aged graphics and bad drawing distance, I'm finding myself pulled into this server. Level 3 now [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

However, I noticed almost half of the people around seem to be druids as well? Did I choose my class poorly, will I have issues later?
Old 05-25-2016, 02:23 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qratz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
WoW player here, haven't really played EQ before much (I tried Live trial and f2p, got a few chars but max one was lvl 7, wasn't really thrilled with how Live worked).
Tried P99, ran into debugger bug and crashing. Fixed it by stopping AVG.
Made a half-elf druid on blue, Kelethin as starter town. I managed to fall down, and started killing stuff in the forest. Few bats and wasps down, I got ganked by an orc oracle who suddenly appeared behind me and one-shotted me.

Spent 15 minutes trying to find my corpse without any success. I was I don't know where. Deleted a character since it was still lvl 1 and made a new one. Let's go again!
Started close to the lift and guards this time. Got a few helpfull buffs - run speed and damage reflect I think, which made me godlike compared to what I was before, reflect pretty much doubling my DPS. Managed to get lvl 2! Ran around Greater Faydark, killed stuff, avoided getting killed, found a group of guys at what I gathered from ooc chat must've been orc hill.

They apologized to me because they were full. They. Apologized. Because they were full. And advised me to level to 4 before camping orc hill. I was stunned. Speechless.
Compared to other MMOs nowadays when most people just do their own thing until max lvl when they're forced into grouping - or play lobby-like matchup dungeons and battlegrounds - here the general community seems to work really well. Best that I've seen in a MMO.

Despite the aged graphics and bad drawing distance, I'm finding myself pulled into this server. Level 3 now [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

However, I noticed almost half of the people around seem to be druids as well? Did I choose my class poorly, will I have issues later?
Yeah dude, if you're coming from WoW you'll notice P99 has a much friendlier community. People are generally polite and willing to help so long as you don't beg for plat/gear. You may find people who see you have no gear will just give you some because they don't need it and there is no auction house equivalent so it's easier/more rewarding just to give it away to a new player. East commons you'll find people auctioning the old fashioned way but that's about it.

Coming from WoW you will also notice this game is a lot harder. Slower leveling, weight restrictions, losing corpses, losing xp (and even levels) when you die, faction etc. In my opinion it makes it more fun but some people may not like a game that challenging.

As for your class question, druids are probably the most popular class because of their usefulness especially in utility. Great buffs, can solo pretty well, somewhat desired in groups, and they are one of two classes that can port. Porting is a big money maker so some people just level them to use as a taxi service to fund other characters that they really want to play who might be more gear dependent. Not to mention it sounds like you started in greater faydark which is the wood elf city and wood elves are the most popular druid race along with halflings.

Do I think you'll regret a druid, probably not. But that said with the time it takes to level in this game, it's worth researching the different classes and picking one that best suits what you want out of the game. It's not like WoW where you have three main roles in damage/tank/healer (although those roles exist). But P99 has crowd control classes, classes that are used as mana batteries, buffing/debuffing classes etc. Also do you want to roleplay, be a solid group addition, raid, etc. All of these things should factor into your decision.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Loraen's...election_Guide is a bit outdated but gives you the gist of what you can expect from each class and ranks them in how good they are in each category. It's not a bad jumping off point for picking a character you like.

Welcome to the community! Hope this helps! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-25-2016, 03:18 PM
Fire Giant

Make sure you work on sense heading...make a hotkey and spam it. Also, make a macro for location. Ctrl+O should bring up your social window. Tab over to the second page, grab an empty one and right click on it. Name it Loc and on line 1 put /loc and drag that to your bar. There are no in-game maps so you'll use these numbers to find things.... like your corpse. Hit that button often, especially if you might die. Then you can use those to find your body.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:22 PM
Kobold

Agree with dude above me. I'll go into a little bit more detail so you can get the Thugnotes version.

Leveling any class that is not a caster without being twinked is absolutely brutal. You will be at the mercy of partnering with players or groups more often than not. Unlike WoW in this game, you don't get to click your food/drink after a fight and med to full in 8 seconds. Medding for mana/health is a real thing here, so if you're a melee and you can't find yourself a healer bro, you can bandage to 50% health and after that you turn on netflix and chill for a few mins. Even then as a character that is going to be using basic gear a lot of mobs will eat your dingos.

Druids/chanters/necros hands down best soloing caster classes for first toons. They are distinctively different, do a bit of research at P99 wiki before you decide on the class that fits you. All 3 of these can make significant plat by themselves as you progress in levels.

You see a lot of druids because they can port(this world is huge, sometimes running to a city can take 5-15 minutes), quad kite, and solo well without almost any items, and their skill check is basement level. Solid starting class.

The holy trinity of this game is warrior,cleric,enchanter, pick any of the 3 and there is no curve in the game at which you will find yourself unable to find a group or a raid slot. If you see me on ill throw you a couple hundred pp to help the early struggle.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:18 PM
Planar Protector

Druid is a great first character class. Stick with it.

You see many druids because you're in elf city and elf is very common race for druids.

Use the p99 wiki to your advantage.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:33 PM
Sarnak

Ypu should also look at getting youself into a guild, they can be extremely helpful when you have questions or anything else. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Welcome to the server.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:55 AM
Planar Protector

Keep us posted on your progress, maybe it will make us somewhat live the discovery of Norrath again through you, which is best part of EQ. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-26-2016, 06:13 AM
Fire Giant

Enjoy. I hope you stick with it. It gets more and more fun! Just like Game of Thrones... I get excited for people who get to experience it for the first time!
Old 05-26-2016, 11:35 AM
Fire Giant

Welcome! Feel free to shoot me a tell in game if you are LFG or anything. I am also leveling up with some friends and it's always good to have more people to group with as you level. We are currently in the Field of Bone area but might also be doing some leveling in the old world as well.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:08 PM
Aviak

Welcome!
Closed Thread