Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 07:19 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default How much does faction affect gameplay?

I recently decided to start a character on p1999 to scratch my nostalgia itch. I played in high school (during the POP times, so this will be very different) and rolled evil because my friends already had established characters.

I was going to roll an Ogre SK (which was my main last time) and I am worried about two things:
1. If i go evil does that drastically restrict the cities, towns and zones I can explore?
2. Is it a bad choice to pick the same race/class combination instead of trying something new?

I want to cast spells but I enjoy the experience so much more when I'm actively involved in combat bashing mobs with large weapons.

Given the amount of time it takes to get characters to advance and my limited playtime available now, I don't want to put too much effort into a race/class if i will ultimately regret it.

Advice? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-21-2017, 11:34 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

It's not that bad you can kill a lot of orcs and get into Freeport same Qeynos and Gnolls.

There are quests you can do in wolf form and other things you can kill to increase faction. Just watch the faction you lose though because if you do not watch it you might be kill on sight in your own guild.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:49 AM
Planar Protector

Honestly I find the "bad" races and deities worshipped add more nuance to a character. Over time it is interesting seeing what cities welcome you and which hate you.

Also, gives you something to do for fun. Making it so your iksar necro can waltz through Freeport with no problem is a fun novelty.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:31 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly I find the "bad" races and deities worshipped add more nuance to a character. Over time it is interesting seeing what cities welcome you and which hate you.

Also, gives you something to do for fun. Making it so your iksar necro can waltz through Freeport with no problem is a fun novelty.
Absolutely. Agnostic can be a bit ...boring. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Some people don't find out (until it is too late) that there are a few deity-specific quest items, and then there's the whole cultural blacksmithing thing...unfortunately rendered mostly useless with Velious items, though a complete set of Teir'Dal cultural armor is pretty sexy. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-21-2017, 02:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkashicRecord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Absolutely. Agnostic can be a bit ...boring. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On a past enchanter I always regretted making them agnostic. Next one I make, I will be sure to make it something different. Same with rogues. Why go agnostic, so boring. And warriors! Don't make an agnostic warrior, sigh. Go Rallos Zek, or anything but agnostic. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-21-2017, 02:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullinabeer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was going to roll an Ogre SK (which was my main last time) and I am worried about two things:
1. If i go evil does that drastically restrict the cities, towns and zones I can explore?
2. Is it a bad choice to pick the same race/class combination instead of trying something new?
You should be able to go into Neriak (DE city) and Grobb (troll city) as well as Oggok. You may also be able to travel through Qeynos Aqueducts safely. Gypsies will let you vendor.

You will be KoS pretty much everywhere else and will have to do faction work if you want to get through Highpass Hold. Rolling evil is rolling hard mode for faction (rolling Iksar is extreme mode). Once you hit 30, you'll get an invis and can travel through cities unaccosted.

The only other consideration with Ogre SK is size. You'll get stuck in doorways sometimes. This can be mitigated with shrink potions, made by alchemists (shamen).

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 11-21-2017, 04:50 PM
Fire Giant

Let it be noted that p99 Blue is in an era where teleports (dial a port), invis people, form of the wolf people, bind affinity people, enchanters, bards, shaman potions, helpful items etc. are RAMPANT! So if the question is about classic everquest evil characters then yes it's quite a handicap. But on p99 Blue today honestly? go for it no problem you can play the most cheesy 'hard mode' ever and be showered by help non stop hehe. Aim for fashionquest! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-30-2017, 05:37 PM
Orc

I never understood why so many people think evil faction is somehow a hindrance. Get an invis from your porter before going to certain places. Roll a good race to be your EC mule so it can bank in FP. All problems w/ evil faction are now fixed.

Benefits of being evil: you have cities closest to most of the dungeons in Classic, including Guk, CT, Nejena, Sol A&B, PoF. In Kunark evil starts out a lot closer to needed faction for PortHammer quest. None of which is a big deal, but it still seems to point towards evil being slightly more convenient than good.
Closed Thread