Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 04:43 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Beginner Class

Hi everyone, I'm sure questions just like this get asked all the time so I'm sorry for "yet another", but I am pretty new and would like to start really getting into the game with a class that gives me a large amount of leeway to make and learn from mistakes while grouping (and ideally a class that is not last on the list for invites, but I understand that "easy" and "in-demand" don't usually go hand in hand). I am most interested in grouping with other players and getting to experience dungeons, so I am willing to sacrifice on solo efficiency if needed. Thank you all for taking the time to read my post and thanks in advance for any responses! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-15-2021, 04:01 AM
Fire Giant

For 90-95% percent group dependency rogue is the easiest to play. But requires at least a dragoon dirk. (Around 40 you need better. Definitely by 50.)

Wizard is also forgiving and easy.

Mage is a step above wizard as far as hardness but is very powerful.

For solo druid is better than wizard and more powerful but has more responsibility such as healing in groups.
Old 02-15-2021, 04:17 AM
Planar Protector

I wouldn't worry about easiness or simplicity. Rather, I'd advise picking a class that's powerful and versatile and has options.

On a wizard, if you run out of mana, you're done. You zone, Gate, or die. On a mage, if your pet dies, you're down to zone/gate/die or hopefully you have a root net or a WC cap or some Serpent's Blood Potions (actually a wizard should have those too lol). That's why I don't feel great about recommending either of those classes to a new player. Those classes just have no recourse. Is that "easy"? Too unforgiving imo. I really enjoyed my wizard on Blue, but I definitely knew what I was getting into.

In contrast:
Enchanter, bard, necromancer, shaman, and druid have crowd control abilities that let you recover from mistakes. Oops, I got two enemies when I tried to engage one! Root or mez or charm one and you're back on track. Now, that's actual "easy." Plus, they can solo or group.

Cleric, rogue, and war/pal/SK contribute a lot to a group (while technically soloable, they're not on the level of the solo all-star classes). I suppose magicians do, too, in terms of DPS; and wizards in the form of burst damage and stuns and roots.

Where was I? Oh right. For a player who is "most interested in grouping with other players and getting to experience dungeons," my top pick would be a cleric or enchanter.

Cleric - any group of any level will want a cleric. And they're not just heal-bots, either. They have root, stuns, memblur in the form of atone, invis versus undead, lull/pacify, fear, nukes, and more. Cleric play involves some periods of intense action, saving lives and stuff, so it should provide some adrenaline; but it also involves a lot of sitting, so you can ask (and answer) questions and get to know people. my 2 copper

Enchanter - learn how lull works, learn to CC using mez and/or root, get some charisma gear and get used to managing a pet (charm something that won't obliterate you at first)...lots of info on the Wiki and from these forums' denizens.
Last edited by Videri; 02-15-2021 at 04:20 AM..
Old 02-15-2021, 05:01 AM
Planar Protector

Druid, mage, monk, paladin, probably in that order.

If you want to group, go druid. You're quite desirable in groups until later levels at which point you'll know enough to be able to do things on your own or twink another class.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:47 AM
Aviak

hi ...

check out the wiki for guides ... http://wiki.project1999.com/Main_Page

http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Newbie

i am new too btw ... first i make a gnome magician on blue .... played until level 13 .. then a iksar monk (until 13) ...

then i find out that blue is the beta server and green is the real classic EQ server like in the old days , so i start new a human monk on green ...

read the newbie guides and make your own decision ... but in the end you must make your own experience with the game and what fits best for you.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:49 AM
Orc

Rogue and cleric - both very simplistic classes

Either pick is always desirable in groups and very strong in the raids if you make it to the end game.
Old 02-15-2021, 01:45 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Try different classes everything is viable soon you'll find the one you love.
Most people say druid but do not fret I solo a warrior everything is viable.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:03 PM
Planar Protector

Read the wiki pages and come to us with your preferences we will tell you what to do :P

Cleric and Rogue are both great classes.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:31 PM
Aviak

Videri has some good information i would listen to it
If you pick shaman you really just need one tank/monk and you're set
Old 02-15-2021, 09:11 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Thank you everyone for your replies! After reading, I'm most interested in the priests. I'll keep looking around and land on one eventually, thank you all again ^^
Closed Thread