Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 02:53 PM
Kobold

Default Donations for Velious

It Is pretty obvious that the dev's are hard at work on Velious. Playing EQ ,let alone developing for EQ can get very old if you do it for extended periods of time. It's like drinking beer for a month straight, everyday, would get old.

What if a large group of players donated a decent amount to encourage faster development of Velious. The dev's actually get paid real $$$ instead of our posts of gratitude. I would be willing to donate $20 to encourage the dev's to spend a few extra hours a week working on the Velious release. I am sure 100 if not 200+ other players would be willing to do the same. It would be similar to a kick starter project.

I appreciate the time and detail the dev's put into p1999 and would like to see Velious sooner then later. I think it is unfair of the community to ask them to rush something they are not compensated for on in the first place. Heavy donations to encourage a faster release would be a win / win situation. The donations would be totally for the dev's time and not expected to go to p1999 in any way. They would simply be paid in real donated $$$ for their hard work.

Thoughts?

-Isic
Old 08-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Sarnak

anytime you ask people to "donate" in return for the devs to do something specifically for that donation...well bud...it's called paying for a service...which could get the server shut down...

so....NO
Old 08-27-2013, 02:59 PM
Sarnak

rather..donate cause u love the project whether it gets to velious or not
Old 08-27-2013, 03:05 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's like drinking beer for a month straight, everyday, would get old.
Nonsense.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It Is pretty obvious that the dev's are hard at work on Velious. Playing EQ ,let alone developing for EQ can get very old if you do it for extended periods of time. It's like drinking beer for a month straight, everyday, would get old.

What if a large group of players donated a decent amount to encourage faster development of Velious. The dev's actually get paid real $$$ instead of our posts of gratitude. I would be willing to donate $20 to encourage the dev's to spend a few extra hours a week working on the Velious release. I am sure 100 if not 200+ other players would be willing to do the same. It would be similar to a kick starter project.

I appreciate the time and detail the dev's put into p1999 and would like to see Velious sooner then later. I think it is unfair of the community to ask them to rush something they are not compensated for on in the first place. Heavy donations to encourage a faster release would be a win / win situation. The donations would be totally for the dev's time and not expected to go to p1999 in any way. They would simply be paid in real donated $$$ for their hard work.

Thoughts?

-Isic
Can't pay dev's for their time or else server could get shutdown. So donate towards the project if you want but the money isnt going to Dev's.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Sounds like you're drinking shitty beer.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:09 PM
Fire Giant

OP has no clue what "donation" means.
Mithras Firehealer - 60 cleric
Gurig Fireplague - 53 necro
Umphrey McGee - 55 magician
Loden Arrows - 46 ranger
Old 08-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Planar Protector

Idk man, I've been drinking beer for 7 years straight, hasn't gotten old yet.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Kobold

Drinking 16 beers a day, everyday would get old. I am talking about donating directly to the dev's. I think this would be permissible. Rogean might need to chime in to verify.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Heh, my old man drank a case a day on average, every day, since way before I was born. Probably drank at that rate for 50 if not nearer 60 years. It never gets old for some folks I suppose. Likely it's the same with folks who love coding. I love neither beer nor coding so I figure both are acquired tastes.

Odds are the current time being spent on Velious development is close to the practical maximum for the folks doing it, so additional money might not enable them to actually finish it any faster.

Danth
Closed Thread