Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 08-31-2022, 10:46 PM
Aviak

Default When did the currency exchange become 10 to 1?

Original EQ timeline currency exchange was 100 to 1.
100 copper = 1 silver
100 silver = 1 gold etc.

In p99 it's 10 to 1.

Why is it different?

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2...1-plat.412900/
Old 09-01-2022, 03:20 AM
Aviak

lol nice
Old 09-01-2022, 04:41 AM
Skeleton

That link was to an Everquest 2 forum. I think 10 to 1 is correct for Everquest 1.
Old 09-01-2022, 07:32 AM
Aviak

Ah, I must be mistaken then,

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/arc...p/t-11931.html

I could of sworn back in 2001, money was more difficult to come by. I recall my first platinum came way later on live than p99. I could be wrong. Memory is a fickle thing.
Old 09-01-2022, 10:26 AM
Banned

10 to 1 was always the case I'm pretty sure
Old 09-01-2022, 11:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtanius21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ah, I must be mistaken then,

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/arc...p/t-11931.html

I could of sworn back in 2001, money was more difficult to come by. I recall my first platinum came way later on live than p99. I could be wrong. Memory is a fickle thing.
Must have never got a cracked staff, always your first plat vendor sale. Drops off decaying skeletons.
Old 09-01-2022, 11:49 AM
Fire Giant

It's always been 10 to 1. I think people though to this day still don't really think about how easy it is to acquire plat. You can kill just about anything, loot all its shit, and sell it to vendors, and you'll generate a bunch of money.

When I was grinding crag spiders for like 6 levels I just converted all the silk to swatches and sold the stacks for like 7.5p to the nearby vendors, made hundreds of plat. Maybe not 1000, but I'm sure it was close.

At low low levels though, seriously, just kill decaying skeletons -> look for ones with staves ideally or any weapons -> sell all the cloth and rusty weapons you get. You have a bunch of plat by the time you're level 5.

And stop grinding in places like Oasis crocs unless you already have a ton of money--it's heavily over camped and they drop literally nothing, you're going to go a bunch of levels making zero plat. You could be in Gorge with ZEM (maybe? unless they've changed it) selling ore/mino axes at that point killing mobs that drop coin.
Old 09-01-2022, 11:50 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqravenprince [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Must have never got a cracked staff, always your first plat vendor sale. Drops off decaying skeletons.
cracked staff is a legendary item
Old 09-01-2022, 11:52 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortior [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
cracked staff is a legendary item
Cracked staves and if you're an Iksar, non-stop hunt decaying skeletons with shields. If you're an iksar and you don't have like 20 plat by level 4 you fucked up. Staves and shields both sell for over a plat. Almost all the iksar weapons sell for 4-5 gold but they're heavy as fuck...but that doesn't matter because there's vendors that sell bags in zone.
Old 09-01-2022, 12:12 PM
Banned

Yeah we're also spoiled a bit in EQ because literally every vendor will buy anything that's sellable, and they have an infinite supply of plat to pay you. I played UO before EQ was released and in that vendors only had limited money to buy things, and you had to sell armor/weapons to the blacksmith and clothes to the tailor etc... they actually attempted to emulate a real economy but I do prefer the EQ ezmode vendor system.

Also slight derail but I always really liked the music that plays while browsing a vendor in classic EQ. It's the most nerdtastic dose of nostalgia for me, always reminds me of the very early game when nobody had any clue where to go or what to do and it was all about exploring and learning things. Now it's so hard to resist the urge to just fire up the wiki and beep-boop through a quest without reading any of the dialogue.
Last edited by Ooloo; 09-01-2022 at 12:22 PM..