Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Aviak

After 2 days of frustration trying to find all the different drivers I now have an old box Pentium 2 , with an Soundblaster 16 (isa) Windows 98SE installed on it anyone have any direction on what to do now to convert the MP3's over to midi?
Old 08-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Sarnak

i seem to remember hack in the day there were soft drivers you could run that would support any soundfont plus the reverb fx, etc and just select it as your midi device and be off. Is there anything like that anymore?

EDIT: just read DOACleric's remarks on the client changes no longer utilizing the soundfonts in that manner. what a pity =( all those original tunes really made such a different. i felt like something had changed while running around like something was missing but i couldnt put my finger on it now i realize.

Swishahouse Swishablast
Luminary of 57 Spirits
Junglist
Bard of 16 Anthems
Pokeball Flinger
Last edited by Swishahouse; 08-01-2010 at 07:26 PM..
Old 08-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Aviak

Send a message via MSN to fwaits

Quote:
Originally Posted by doacleric [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
http://www.xs4all.nl/~treesong/EQmp3.zip

These are about as close as we are going to get without someone running a classic client on a PC from the 1999-2000 era.
Btw, I made those mp3's about 6 years ago =)
Is it possible to utilize these mp3s in the current client or are they just for standalone play for nostalgia purposes?
Old 08-25-2010, 11:14 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwaits [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is it possible to utilize these mp3s in the current client or are they just for standalone play for nostalgia purposes?
Just for standalone unfortunately. The client wouldn't know when and where to play the mp3's. However, they are made using the original XMI files, so their sound is almost authentic.

And a SB16 won't help - it must be an AWE32 or AWE64 with at least 512k of memory onboard. An SB16 doesn't even have wavetable support, only FM synthesis.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:10 AM
VIP / Contributor

Oh wow, thanks for posting that set of MP3s. I wonder if the three unknowns ever made it into game... I don't recall ever hearing them anywhere, but they're some of the best stuff in the file. Especially the first one.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Sarnak

I have never personally heard the unknowns played within EQ itself. However, the songs were buried inside the XMI files, so I didn't just pull them out of thin air. Either Verant had other plans for those files and never got around to using them, or they simply forgot about their existence.

Actually, one of those unknowns did make a brief appearance - but not in EQ itself. Instead, it played on EQ's homepage back around the 1998/1999 area, embedded inside the webpage. That version of the song however, is much more complete and sounds far better. I emailed the actual composer of the EQ music in the hopes that he could provide me with the complete midi file for that unknown, but he apparently lost it. What a shame.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Kobold

Regarding the idea of getting random battle music, what if we just had the three battle themes named bat1.mp3, bat2.mp3, and bat3.mp3, and then had a script that randomly copies one of them to battle.mp3 (or whatever it's called). This script would just run in the background.

Would this work?
Old 09-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Aviak

any updates?
Old 09-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardNecro [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Regarding the idea of getting random battle music, what if we just had the three battle themes named bat1.mp3, bat2.mp3, and bat3.mp3, and then had a script that randomly copies one of them to battle.mp3 (or whatever it's called). This script would just run in the background.

Would this work?
It should, but it sounds like a PITA to do...always run a script. I guess you could make your EQ link be the script, and have the script open up the eqgame.exe?

You'd have to have it constantly changing the name for it act random (vs have one play for 5 min, then another, etc.). I assume the constant naming/renaming of the files would eventually lead to corrupt files.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Large Rat

I've been messing with this a lot today, and while I can load EQ's soundfonts with my x-fi sound bank manager and use them with Winamp to hear the EQ music almost exactly how it used to be... I can't for the life of me force the client to use the x-fi's other midi device instead of general midi. Arg!

Also, for probably the most noticeable differences between how it sounds now and how it's SUPPOSED to sound, go near the monk guild in freeport, or near the mail carrier bard in Kaladim... or open the midi listed as "halas 5" .. whichever XMI that is I dunno.. the background instruments sound totally ruined.

Anyone know if there's a client setting to force which midi device is used by EQ? If the client is using some sort of built in general midi driver, maybe we can just swap it out somehow....
Closed Thread