Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:25 AM
Aviak

Risks of being an SK? Nobody likes you [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Some groups even go ''ehh...xp penalty...pass'' Just the penalty alone is quite a challenge, this game takes enough time as is.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm looking for a challenging gameplay. I generally never have anyone to group with so I mostly play solo. If it's just faction that makes shadowknights hard then that's not what I'm looking for, YET if they are going to be uncommon even rare end game, that might be the challenge and reward I'm looking for. MIGHT be.
Play a monk. Put effort into bandage wounds, it caps at 70% when you break a skill threshold(200 points?). You have lots of skills to master. If you can make it to higher levels, sit in fungus camp for years and karnors castle, get T staff + fungus tunic and now you have a very challenging solo class that can flop to just about any camp in the game.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Play a monk. Put effort into bandage wounds, it caps at 70% when you break a skill threshold(200 points?). You have lots of skills to master. If you can make it to higher levels, sit in fungus camp for years and karnors castle, get T staff + fungus tunic and now you have a very challenging solo class that can flop to just about any camp in the game.
And yet you will be one of the most common classes on the server. Enjoy being the John Smith of Norrath.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by falkun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And yet you will be one of the most common classes on the server. Enjoy being the John Smith of Norrath.
It's true, even on live everyone and their mom had a monk twink. It's kind of boring to enter KC or Seb and see three of your same class who literally look exactly like you.

Although, that's probably the case for a number of other classes, too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by falkun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That is not what i want. Im now stuck between necro and sk. I'm thinking necro is a good way to go yet if I decide to raid I'll be sol.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That is not what i want. Im now stuck between necro and sk. I'm thinking necro is a good way to go yet if I decide to raid I'll be sol.
If you want an uncommon and challenging class, you do not want to play an iksar necromancer. I have 3, none of them have any gear, and they all dinged 50 while I was asleep.

That's not to say they aren't one of the best class/race combos to enter the game...that's why they are so common. And any necro who doesn't want to be lazy can find TONS of things to do on raids that don't involve pumping the cleric. Healing, ghetto CC, DPS, etc.

If you are actually looking for the uncommon, challenging class with big rewards in the end-game, Iksar SK is the way to go. If you want a class that would in all likelihood be entertaining from 1-60, go Necro.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Sarnak

Here's what I'm gathering so far.
Iksar SK:
Rewards: Unique race/class, can fear kite, unique armor quests.
Challenges: -68% penalty, no one wants to group with me, can't solo easily until fear kite, can't wear plate, not needed in raids due to low dps and terrible raid tanking (same as Paly)

Maybe I should look at other class race combos that aren't warrior. There just doesn't seem to be enough information on how a class plays throughout the level to warrant the right choice. I also don't like making alts. I just wanna choose one and be happy with it. Druids I choose for porting but I can't level her solo as I keep dying.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Kobold

Don't discredit SK and Pally tanking in raids. There are many situations were they are preferred over a warrior, even in raids. SKs are the kings are the kings of snap agro in terms of the true tanks, which can be a huge help during certain encounters. The big fights will usually be given to warriors, but I know at least in Divinity we have some very well geared SKs and Pallies that are often raid tanks.

Iksar SKs also get an AC bonus to help with the fact that they can't wear most plate. It doesn't completely cancel out the effects of not being able to wear plate, but it diminishes a significant amount for it. Kunark also introduced a significant number of GREAT weapons for SKs, so your DPS won't be quite as bad as most people are used to in classic (but it still wont be good...). You will be limited in useful spells until you gain quite a few levels, but from 9 and on you'll have disease cloud, which will be your bread and butter.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Planar Protector

Wizards-
Pros: End game desirability on Raids, teleports for easy money
Cons: Aside from Teleports/Raids, nobody wants you. Figure out how to solo, buy some SoW pots or get some Jboots. Only way you're going to make 60 is if you do the work by yourself most of the time.

Enchanters-
Pros: Always wanted for groups, always wanted for raids, can go anywhere and not be killed by guards
Cons: Not as capable of soloing as other Int casters, but can still solo xp from 1-60 if they choose.

Necromancers-
Pros: Can solo 1-60 fast, super fast. Can farm like mad, is very useful in raids if played correctly. Useful to plug holes in many group setups as well
Cons: Not sought out for grouping with, there are also lots of them so competition for equipment.

Mages-
Pros: Great pets, can summon lots of equipment to help out others/themselves. Good groupability because they can nuke pretty well and use their pet to do damage so they always contribute to a fight. Due to evolving strategies they also come in handy when tackling certain raid mobs, COH is invaluable for raids and allows your party to pull off some pretty fun pulling stunts. Great farmers.
Cons: Like necros, a dime a dozen, don't gain as much power 50-60 as the other classes to.

Clerics-
Pros: best healers in the game, absolutely essential in raids and highly sought after for any party. Capable of making money pretty well 49+ by providing rezzes for tips. Capable of soloing to a decent level off undead if desired although not the prefered method of leveling.
Cons: Not much utility in their magic, no invis, no breathe water/levitate effects which leaves you dependent on clicky gear for these effects or other players to provide them. Many people find them boring.

Druid-
Pros: Teleports, power leveling, soloing ability. Tracking so they can hunt down nameds in wide open kunark zones. Serves well as spot healers in raids.
Cons: A dime per hundred, have been dealing with bugged spells for a while but most of those have been taken care of now. Will only be invited to a groups if all other avenues for healers have been exhausted. Fairly boring on raids, only a couple of duties they can really perform.

Shaman-
Pros: Decent soloers, gets better 34+, almost always desired in groups for their buffs/debuffs. Useful in raids for buffing/debuffing.
Cons: Every single race that can be a shaman has an exp penalty (barb is the lowest at 5%). Uhh, not really much besides that.

Warriors-
Pros: Raid tanks, nothing beats them. Hard to hold agro with in party setups, especially at lower levels, but still plenty in demand if played right. Can do great DPS if built that way, XP bonus.
Cons: Incredibly gear dependent, worst farming ability of any class, completely and utterly dependent on parties to gain exp unless twinked to the max.

Monks-
Pros: Amazing DPS, feign death and Mend to avoid death in most cases. Gets the ability to bind wounds up to 70% of their maximum health. Good damage avoidance. Desired on raids and in parties for DPS and pulling. Doesn't need a lot of gear to be effective, but become absolute beasts if geared well. best of the melee archetypes for soloing in most situations.
Cons:
20% Xp penalty... there are a million+1 of them.

Rogues-
Pros: Highest potential DPS in the game. Required to get into many Kunark dungeons. Great for corpse runs because of hide+sneak. Can pickpocket to steal money from mobs.
Cons: Super gear dependent like a warrior, also completely group dependent.

Shadowknights-
Pros: Amazing xp party tanks. Holds agro really well, can pull for raids, can solo well once leveled up enough.
Cons: Not really desired for raids, but can serve a purpose if there aren't enough warriors around or no monks by offtanking or pulling. 40% xp penalty

Paladins-
Pros: Good at xp tanking like a shadow knight, at really high levels spot heals as well as a druid, capable of soloing undead fairly well. Access to the only non-epic particle effect weapon in the game.
Cons: Also suffers from raid desirability, serve as lame DPS with backup heals. Also has the 40% xp penalty. No access to high-str starting races.

Bards-
Pros: Intricate class with potential to do many things. Capable of leveling quickly solo (while pissing people off). Fastest movespeed in the game and has track. Buffs melees and can help with mana regen.
Cons: 40% xp penalty, not as desirable in raids, melee damage is extremely lacking. May lead to repetitive stress syndrome

Rangers-
Pros: Can snare, decent melee ability, best tracking ability, gets access to a lot of utility spells. Not many of them, making ranger specific equipment cheap to obtain and lending to little competition for raid gear. Will often be invited to raids just so loot doesn't rot because the only other raid level ranger already has everything. Very versitile if handled correctly
Best class for eating Death Touch since their absense provides least negative impact on the raid composition.
Cons: Not good enough at anything to be picked for a party unless no other options are available. Very misunderstood class but the 40% exp penalty combined with their inability to stand out in any one role means you'll have a hard time getting into groups.

Baalzy - 57 Gnocro, Baalz - 36 Ikscro, Adra - 51 Hileric, Fatbag Ofcrap - 25 halfuid

Red99
Baalz Less - Humger, Baalzy - Ikscro

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.
Picture courtesy of azeth
Last edited by baalzy; 05-10-2011 at 07:12 PM..
Old 05-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Sarnak

I think rangers get way to much unwarranted hate. They bring a lot to a group, and yet everyone makes sure to avoid them.