Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 02-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Planar Protector

Default Repeated connectivity issues in p99 with fair ms and good internet

I recently moved to a new location where my wireless internet connection is quite good. Good signal, able to surf the web very smoothly.

However, when I try to connect to p99, I am about 80% of the time unable to log in at all, and each zone also brings a crash.

What gives? ms is fine if I can get in... but cant stay in past a single zone generally.

Tried EQlive and a freebie wow account, both work perfectly.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:56 PM
Sarnak

Have you tried a fresh install? Have you used the duxa installer?
Old 02-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Planar Protector

ill do that and report back today. dont see how it would change a connectivity problem but why not eh
Old 02-28-2013, 08:59 PM
Planar Protector

interestingly, when i am playing with my friends in a group and i dc in a zone, ive found that the dc occurs immediately upon zoning, not after some timeout.

ill hit the zoneline, they'll instantly get dc message, and the zone fails
Old 02-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Planar Protector

installed duxa... not surprisingly it had no effect on my connectivity

reluctant to do a full re-install
Old 02-28-2013, 09:35 PM
Planar Protector

Could be the router? I'm no techie but I've been tinkering with my router for other stuff (EQ has always been fine on it).

Firstly, if its in any way possible... move your PC to the router and plug an ethernet cable in and see if EQ is playable wired. If its exactly the same disconnects and crap you've been getting it could be a problem with the router itself. If its fine while wired in, its more likely to be a wireless issue and is worth having a look at the router's wireless settings:-

Connect to it at: http://192.168.1.1

Then you should see a login screen. If nobody has ever done this then quite often the user name and password are both "admin", or you might have something more specific with your router box.

Just check if you can to see if you're using WPA/WPA2 mixed, or try to change it (and make a note of how you did it to change it back afterwards if it changes anything else). As long as you know what you're changing and can change things back it might be worth a bit of experimentation.

Failing that, have you tried the same computer at a friend's/neighbour's house quickly? Just to check its not something in your PC's Network Settings?

Honestly it could be anything! But wireless is a weird one sometimes, signal strength could be poor or patchy (how far away from the router are you? does it go through a few walls before it gets to you?), my old router's wireless would often just "stop" for a couple of seconds like it was tired and then carry on.

If you find the problem, make sure to post it on here - you never know when someone will search for this thread and see the solution before their eyes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Swish; 02-28-2013 at 09:39 PM..
Old 03-01-2013, 03:13 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
reluctant to do a full re-install
Don't be reluctant. I've done it many times.

The only thing on your PC related to the server is your character friends list and UI.

You can copy those to a separate file before you do anything, for safe keeping. Search your Everquest file for your character name(s) to find them.

I keep an untouched install in a separate folder to copy from instead of going through the "disc" loads over and over.

Hope you get it resolved soon.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:01 PM
VIP / Contributor

are you using titanium client?
Old 03-03-2013, 08:47 AM
Planar Protector

Just some updates

Using titanium client yes
Did a reinstall, didn't change anything but may have been worth doin anyway
This issue doesn't occur internet cafes and free wifi spots around my dorm
..But since its a dorm I don't have any access to router settings

As far as I understand it, my internet seems to cut out for about half a second every 30 sec to 1 min on P99 forums (but not wiki). This doesn't appear to occur in any other website. It may occur in other websites, but seems to be longer and noticeable only in p99 forums.

It seems like when ever I have that connectivity loss during a zone or log in it boots me out.

At any rate, if I were to connect with a wire, I am 80% sure this issue wouldn't occur, but alas I cannot.

Odd thing is that this only started happening after I returned from a vacation. This location never had issues before about mid-january.

It seems to help a little if I walk my laptop directly next to the router and log in, then walk back to my desk. Once its in, I am good (until I zone or die). It still can take 1-??? hrs to log in but at least I'm a dark elf so I can stay hidden and logged in all night. *Shrug*

Still open to tips on getting through this though.
Last edited by bubur; 03-03-2013 at 08:54 AM..
Old 03-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Planar Protector

Google "wireless signal booster" and see what comes up...sounds like you've got a patchy signal. Is it physically possible to get to the router itself and plug a short ethernet cable in just to test it?

www.speedtest.net - try running one of these from your room and next to the router itself and see what the difference is.