Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 03:57 PM
Retired GM

Location: Cabilis East, in the northwest corner of the zone-in from Field of Bone
Post [Poll by Post] Red99: A short questionnaire for our Blue community members

As part of our ongoing promotion of Red 99, I would like to pose this question to our blue community members:

If you played on Red 1999 in the past, why did you quit? What did you like about the server? Would you want to play again? If not, why? If you have never played on Red 99, what has kept you away? (If the answer to the last question is simply "Not interested in PvP" you do not need to post, but thank you for reading!)

I believe this question may have been asked before by one of your Red community members, but I wanted to get something official. You'll notice this is not a poll, so please place your comments in a post below. Please provide as much detail as possible.

I humbly request that you do not include suggestions on how to "fix" or "improve" the server, but instead simply answer the questions provided above. If you have suggestions for the server, I am always happy to receive them in my PM box!

This thread is a strict "No-trolling" zone. Obvious troll posts will be deleted. I am specifically requesting information from people have played on Red 99 in the past, and no longer do so, or people who may have been interested in playing there, but never did.

If you do not feel comfortable posting here and listing your reasons for quitting/never trying, I would love for you to send me a PM instead so I can get your viewpoint.

The population on Red has skyrocketed since the recent changes, and that number will continue to grow as we launch full-scale into our planned Red 99 week. It is my hope that with the feedback in this thread, as well as the new changes, and the ever-improving Red 99 community, we can continue to grow the population on Red. For a list of the new changes, as well as information on older changes and a few reasons why Red 99 is better than it's ever been in all aspects, please click here.

If you haven't tried Red 99 lately, there has never been a better time to start!

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to read this and respond - we greatly appreciate your contribution to making the Red server the best it can possibly be!
Old 04-29-2014, 04:12 PM
Planar Protector

If you played on Red 1999 in the past, why did you quit?
I didn't want to play, largely, alone. I don't like it when I know I have to leave a zone when a member of guild "X" zones in. Then a min later, 8 other people in the same guild zone in.
What did you like about the server?
I liked the ongoing competition that would grow between players -- kinda like a duel that you know has to occur everytime you see person X in the zone... and they know it to.

Would you want to play again?
Tempted
If not, why? N/A
If you have never played on Red 99, what has kept you away? n/a
Old 04-29-2014, 04:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derubael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you haven't tried Red 99 lately, there has never been a better time to start!
Old 04-29-2014, 04:26 PM
Kobold

If you played on Red 1999 in the past, why did you quit?
I've dabbled a few times, never made it to level 5 though. I love the idea of the added element of intelligent opponents, but my playtime is extremely limited (probably < 10 hours a month, usually in 1-2 hour sessions) and starting from scratch in a barren (yet harsh) world is just hard to get past. Especially since my class of choice would be rogue, which makes playing in these conditions even tougher. Also, some of the stuff seen in global OOC is pretty pathetic, but /ignore works fine for that.

What did you like about the server?
Again, I love the idea of the added element of intelligent enemies. I put time into pretty much every live PVP server at one point or another (Rallos, Vallon, Sullon) although I never made it too far for the same reasons I described above. Starting from scratch in a harsh environment is just hard and occasionally frustrating, knowing I have my "main" that is already somewhat established on another server.

Would you want to play again?
I'm certainly tempted to play again, although it really comes down to my extremely limited playtime. The EXP bonus is definitely a step in the direction towards attracting me to this server. I'm also interested in the Teams server if that ever comes to fruition.

P99:
Nubben, Level 16 Rogue
Old 04-29-2014, 04:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by myriverse [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
From my experience, (pvp) only tends to bring out the worst in everybody.
It's far from sunshine and rainbows on blue, go into any well populated zone at any level range and you'll find dicks everywhere protecting "their" camps, fat cats in EC pushing items for well over their value, and butthurt pixel hunters who wiped on a mob and lost it...who then turn to RNF etc.

So, red brings out the worst in people? I'd say blue players are equally toxic sometimes, and moreso in some cases...you just don't hear many individual voices because of the higher population.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:31 PM
Planar Protector

I have not tried red99, but I tried one of the pvp servers back in the day, and hated it. I have since played a lot of pvp in other games, notably warhammer online among others. I may try red.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:31 PM
Planar Protector

I don't play on Red right now because of rl location and connection issues, just don't have the setup to play at the highly competitive level red requires. I'm on blue right now because it is easy and I don't have to think much about what other players in the area might be doing. They are killing mobs. Forever.

Will be returning to Red as soon as I can because it is so much more fun than blue. I have a full twink set up with fungi ect. on blue and I never log on because the server offers no challenge or opportunity to kill other players for camps, coin or luls.

I started p99 on blue because of population and fear of grief. Rolled on Red for fun one day and found these two issues to be highly exaggerated. I leveled in groups from 10ish-55+ three times now.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:37 PM
Sarnak

Note: I enjoy MMO PvP games very much. I played DAoC for 6 years, WAR, GW2 and Eve... my experience with PvP is fairly extensive. I have not played EQ PvP very much at all.

1. Not enough players. I understand if I play maybe someone else will play and maybe someone else will play if they play... but I just can't leave behind the major investment in time I've already made on blue to risk playing with a core of only 30 players every single day.

2. Starting over. Gosh I currently have 4 level 60s... all of which are geared to the nines and a gaggle of geared alts on blue of all level ranges to choose from. Logging in to red with my level 1 and my dagger* watching all the currently dedicated red players running around on 60s with gear I already own is just disheartening. I don't want to start over from scratch. The majority of my EQ playtime has already come and gone and I've successfully accomplished my goals already.

3. EQ PvP does not look fun. I say "does not look" because I have not actually tried it as far as playing an established end game character. I base my opinion solely off the many EQ pvp videos posted by the red players here. Playing a melee and clicking pumice and cycling junk buffs an entire fight just looks not fun. From the videos I've seen it looks like unscripted zerging chaos where everyone is in it for themselves. Perhaps I'm just ignorant of EQ pvp but I've played many different mmo PvP games and what I enjoy is fast paced, organized pvp, where your skill as a player delivers the outcome of who wins. Yes I understand all pvp games have balance issues but EQ pvp does not look balanced what so ever. Not only based on what classes are clearly better vs each other in pvp but also it appears it can be entirely based on gear, spell versions and level. This can be said for nearly every mmorpg with pvp but when it comes to EQ and specifically this server, these issues should they exist won't be adjusted with patches. We have a set timeline of patches... there are no balance patches in the works. These unbalances will exist forever.

4. Poor attitude. Yes, when it is a PvP game people are competitive and tempers will flair and you will have ignorant assholes but the stigma with the p99 red server is just so bad. To have this attitude in your face constantly makes p99 red not appealing what so ever. If anyone or anything ruined the chance for p99 red to thrive it was the players themselves.
Last edited by Bohab; 04-29-2014 at 04:40 PM..
Old 04-29-2014, 04:41 PM
Planar Protector

Nothing is always rainbows.

After 5 years on live (PVE), I only encountered one truly bad apple, and he was quickly dealt with by CSR. Never yet met a truly bad apple on P99, either.

Nothing wrong with protecting your camp. It's how you protect it.
Nothing wrong with EC fat cats. Items sell for however much a person is willing to buy them. If buyers refuse, watch those prices plummet.
RNF doesn't matter... ever. But better RNF than anything else.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:43 PM
Aviak

fear of progress/achievement

On blue, and as far as classic goes, people say they get hit in the feelz by how even walking away from a pull or grind session and not being killed is an achievement in itself, b/c classic is so unforgiving. That is with the ability to try and dodge a red KOS mob and pulling a mob to learn they are social. All of that is butterflies in teh stomach fun..

In my mind (wrong or right, prolly wrong?) I can imagine all of the above, and then can't wrap my mind around that fact that the person next to me or coming up behind me or that I did not see is there to kill me just the same as the militia skeleton, but I cannot just dodge them like I can the mob.

so yeah, it look at an evening on blue and think, wow I almost did well since I did not lose my level I dinged last night (lvl9) and that was a good night. and red just seems intimidating

there, now I feel like a lesser man and need to roll on red to get my card back?
Closed Thread