Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 12:53 PM
Aviak

Default I want to solo as a melee character, is it possible?

Returning mom and son here but we cannot play together as we are waiting for our IP exemption (the old one seems to not be viable anymore).

So I am looking for a solo melee character to level as a personal challenge, old school, think when EQ launch and there was no twink gear/stuff to sell for pp yet because everyone was still leveling. I would prefer melee because I always played casters (necro/cleric) on live.

Is there such a melee class? Is it possible to level with gear I craft and loot as I level up?
Old 04-13-2017, 01:14 PM
Kobold

Monk comes to mind immediately.

For Combo: Monk and Shammy = lol awesome.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:14 PM
Planar Protector

They can all be solo'd if you know what to do, though most are very slow going. Monk can be solo'd to 50 with minimal gear and has a pretty shallow learning curve. Even easier if you choose Iksar.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:15 PM
Planar Protector

It's possible to solo to 60 on any class. It gets much much harder if you really only want to use items that you loot yourself. And by harder I really just mean more time consuming.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:24 PM
Planar Protector

Untwinked melee characters won't be able to solo very well. Maybe an Iksar Monk, but it would still be important to stack some HP and get haste and magic gloves/weapons as soon as possible so that you can hit enemies that have magic skin. You'll eventually need a Fungi Tunic on your Monk, but if you roll a Warrior, Paladin, SK, Rogue, or Ranger, you could use a Rubicite BP or Ceremonial Iksar Chestplate as a cheaper alternative.

In reality, there are much better classes for soloing that are not melee oriented like Necromancer, Shaman, Enchanter, Magician, Wizard, and Druid, depending on what you want to do or what your goal is for the end-game.

I would highly recommend picking one of them over a melee.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:28 PM
Planar Protector

It's pretty easy, if slow. You have to find the right spots. It also helps to learn how to mix melee and bandaging together.

Monk will probably be the most effective choice for this.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:33 PM
Banned

Leveling an untwinked monk solo could be an event at the Pain Olympics. The down time would be unreasonable. Even twinked I feel you would do better in a small group or duo.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:52 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder73 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Leveling an untwinked monk solo could be an event at the Pain Olympics.
So much this. Every time I see a monk who's "New to the server, first character" my first thought it "Ow, gonna be a long hard grind with lightweight gear prices and the fact they get squishier the more loot they pickup"

Definitely would recommend a caster, any caster, over a monk as a first character.

Monk can and has certainly been done solo as a first toon, but people have also successfully eaten uncooked cactus. Doesn't make it a fun experience!

~Urrsa -60 Ogre Shaman-
~Gream -60 Dark Elf Cleric-
~Greame -60 Halfling Druid-
~Oppa -41 Dark Elf Enchanter-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar View Post
boxers are responsible for ruining EQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
Rogean sits on his ivory throne and casts lightning bolts at anyone that disagrees with him or goes against the grain.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:04 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Just hang out in FoB eventually someone nice will come along and gift you a wu's 2hander
Old 04-13-2017, 04:37 PM
Orc

Thumbs up Embrace the old-school!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onics187666 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just hang out in FoB eventually someone nice will come along and gift you a wu's 2hander
...or embrace your original plan and find like minded players with similar playstyle. It is easier to go old-school no-twink if you do not sail alone in that boat.

-> https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=255352

Scaleway - Auld Lang Syne
Closed Thread