Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 03:14 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Green vs Blue? Hard time understanding.

Hail all!

I wanted to first express my thanks for bringing back the world I was part of for many years.

Long time EQ player, and I regret to say I have only now found P99. For as long as it's been alive, I've never discovered it! I signed in on launch day when EQ went live in 1999, and played for many years, up until PoP, then took a break and came back around LDON, then finally stopped.

Having found P99 recently, I've only quickly read through the forums and played a little bit on Blue, so forgive my questions. If there is already a link to an answer, just share it and I will happily read.

I understand the ultimate goal of P99 is to create Green, however currently Blue exists. How should I understand Blue vs Green? Is Blue to be accepted as a beta server, with Green being the same as Blue only "live"?

I don't want to get too involved with Blue since the release of Green may be so close, especially so if Blue were to be wiped, or if nothing is transferable. I would rather just wait it out the remaining months and start fresh on Green.

Can anyone elaborate? I appreciate it.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:00 PM
Orc

They will likely not wipe blue and leave it as a testing ground and a place to add custom content. That being said, you have no reason to not play on blue right now. Likely you are here because other games are not doing anything for you and you are bored looking for something to do in your free time.

So I will ask, "what else are you gonna do?" If you wait for green you got another 5ish months of being bored and bouncing from game review to game review waiting to discover some magical secret game that fulfills you in a way that Classic EverQuest has or will fulfill you. That game is not out there, or else most of us would probably already be playing it.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:12 PM
Sarnak

Obviously only the devs can answer this, but I seriously doubt Blue will ever be wiped.

If I had to guess, Blue will get custom-ish content added (maybe zones like Veksar and Jaggedpine Forest will also be added) and be a testing ground like the above poster said.

My guess with Green is they will cycle into Blue at the end of the progression and a new Green Server will start. All of this is just guessing at this moment though as we have no real information from the management or developers other than that it's coming.

I would play Blue. It's an awesome server and other than the raid scene it's a great community.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundarak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How should I understand Blue vs Green? Is Blue to be accepted as a beta server, with Green being the same as Blue only "live"?

I don't want to get too involved with Blue since the release of Green may be so close, especially so if Blue were to be wiped, or if nothing is transferable. I would rather just wait it out the remaining months and start fresh on Green.

Can anyone elaborate? I appreciate it.
You've got the basic idea correct: Blue is/was the "beta" server used to test out code in preparation for green. This means Blue is not like live in some important ways that Green will be. For instance, on Green Kunark will last about a year, whereas on Blue it lasted about seven years. That means Blue has (for instance) a lot more Fungi Tunics than a live server in Velious would have had.

But, Blue is also more than just a "beta server", because for ten years it was the only classic EQ server in existence (and arguably the best emulated EQ server, period). Despite being a "beta server" Blue is still extremely like the live servers in almost every regard except the economy, and that unclassic economy actually helps new players by making starting gear far more affordable.

Personally I'd recommend starting with Blue now; even if you wind up only playing on Green, you might as well get to know the server, get to know "classic EQ" (even if you played on live it's been a long time), etc. You don't have to "invest heavily" in your character, and when Green comes you can decide which server appeals to you more.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worry [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Obviously only the devs can answer this, but I seriously doubt Blue will ever be wiped.
The only time the devs have ever wiped any server in the history of the project was pre-launch. Since launch they've maintained their promise to never wipe (even on "dead Red"), and I don't see them having any reason to break it anytime soon.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:41 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The only time the devs have ever wiped any server in the history of the project was pre-launch. Since launch they've maintained their promise to never wipe (even on "dead Red"), and I don't see them having any reason to break it anytime soon.
Yeah, when I read it was announced I came here to read what people were saying and some were acting like it was a doomsday announcement for Blue. No idea why some are so against it.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:10 PM
Planar Protector

You have to understand this server has a mix of people. Some ... make this game their life, and then react (very strongly) here in the forums to anything that threatens to change their "way of life". Also, as you might imagine such people don't live the happiest of lives, and so maybe have a negative bent to everything they do/say.

And those sorts tend to be over-represented in the forums, because they have the time to post here. Your best bet is to just be aware of that, ignore the "sky is falling" posters, and enjoy the great server (soon to be two servers!) we have here [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Last edited by loramin; 05-13-2019 at 07:15 PM..
Old 05-13-2019, 10:16 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A server wipe is a horrible idea. On Red, Blue, Green or whatever other color you bring up. People talk about that all the time here and they are idiots. Glad the devs do not indulge that stupid thought.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worry [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If I had to guess, Blue will get custom-ish content added (maybe zones like Veksar and Jaggedpine Forest will also be added) and be a testing ground like the above poster said.
It should be the other way around. Blue should be the perma "classic coding" server that people can go to if they just want a museum experience of the exact (for the most part) Velious-era EQ coding. Green server should have lots of custom improvements that seek to recreate and enhance what it was actually like to play classic EQ and what the EQ experience "should" be.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:55 AM
Sarnak

I dunno, maybe we should go full Daenerys on blue and let green be the light that remains.
Closed Thread