Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 12-23-2016, 05:21 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

So i just got a new chromebook. Is this still the best way to go about getting a everquest running on it or would just installing it on a USB 3.0 be a better way to go. 32GB SSD and 4GB Memory Intel CPU.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:55 PM
Large Rat

Default show us a video

show a video of you playing eq99 on a chromebook
Old 12-29-2016, 12:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by gierkep [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So i just got a new chromebook. Is this still the best way to go about getting a everquest running on it or would just installing it on a USB 3.0 be a better way to go. 32GB SSD and 4GB Memory Intel CPU.
can't update the OP but the xubuntu stuff is no longer supported or developed, the new linux option for chromebooks is GalliumOS which I just got up and running recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazedCat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
show a video of you playing eq99 on a chromebook
sure, not sure why you need that considering you could run p99 on a potato but i'll work on getting a vid.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:37 PM
Aviak

I've been looking into doing just this, to get eq on the acer c740 running gallium. Ideally the EQ lite version that FatMagic put together. I'll report my progress in the coming weeks as I get started, shouldn't be too difficult.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:12 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Got GalliumOS up and running with a dualboot (using chrx and mrchromebook.tech), got exFat installed (via sudo) so i moved the EQ files over, but now Im at a dead end as to what to do next.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:08 PM
Aviak

I actually ordered the acer r11 and it's supposed to be arriving tomorrow. I'll see if I can get it working and let you know... though right now I can't get the game working on my mac after this patch.

I imagine you checked out this thread ?
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=14125
Last edited by brknglss; 01-01-2017 at 07:21 PM..
Old 01-03-2017, 10:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by gierkep [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Got GalliumOS up and running with a dualboot (using chrx and mrchromebook.tech), got exFat installed (via sudo) so i moved the EQ files over, but now Im at a dead end as to what to do next.
once you got the OS up and running its pretty straight forward, install wine, run wine config (so it creates a virtual drive ), move EQ to the virtual drive it creates, and either follow the more updated linux guide or do what I did in the OP (which was copied from said linux guide anyway):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tann [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Step 5, Desktop icon (if desired).
(credit https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=14125)

- Load terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and type Run Gedit
- Copy paste below script and save file wherever you like:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# if you don't have the script's cwd set, you get XML errors
export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine/
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Sony/EverQuest

# Bind to one core of the processor and launch.
# The client will spew a lot of errors, especially every time
# you target a mob, hence the stdout/stderr redirect.
# You probably want to leave off the 2>/dev/null until you're satisfied
# everything is working.
taskset -c 0 padsp wine eqgame.exe patchme 2>/dev/null
- Load terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and type sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends gnome-panel
- Then type gnome-desktop-item-edit --create-new ~/Desktop
- Point/browse to the above created script file and name accordingly.

Probably need to disable vertex shaders in the client file (otherwise get floating weapons with no character models):
edit eqclient.ini, where VertexShaders=TRUE change to VertexShaders=FALSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by brknglss [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I imagine you checked out this thread ?
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=14125
yessir, tis where I got the script/icon stuffs and I did give credit and link to it in OP!
Old 01-03-2017, 02:13 PM
Aviak

Hm. Ok pardon my complete nubness, first time linux user. I've been running EQ on a mac via wineskin but seems slightly more complicated with linux as I'm not at all familiar with command prompts, amazing I got gallium up and running.

So I've managed to get a virtual drive using playonlinux which seems to just be GUI for wine. Now I've copied over my entire Sony/Everquest folder from my mac install into the program files on the virtual drive so the path is

/home/chrx/PlayOnLinuxs_virtual_drives/EQ/drive_c_Program Files/sony/EverQuest

(forgot change the user from chrx)

I'm now trying to run it, and not exactly sure what to do. Run Gedit is an unknown command but it looks like that bit of code you pasted is creating a script to launch to launch the game?

Instead I've used the creat shortcut with PlayOnLinux it points to the exe. though it's trying to run the patcher when I launch...

Mostly used this thread for reference getting this far

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=212710

Any ideas?

** edit I tried this
"The way I do the "patchme" for the shortcut is I go to PlayOnLinux Config, select the shortcut I made under the Wine instance, and just put "patchme" without quotes in the Arguments field."

But no luck, still trying to patch
Last edited by brknglss; 01-03-2017 at 02:32 PM..
Old 01-03-2017, 04:36 PM
Planar Protector

hmm i've never used playonlinux for p99, other games like hearthstone yea. The guide you linked has a lot of unnecessary steps, if installing PoL you don't need to do step 1, steps 5/6/8 are all unnecessary as well.

for just running eq or wow elysium the stock wine you get via terminal works fine with 0 modifications to .dll's and nothing required from winetricks.

IMO:

1. open terminal, type: sudo apt-get install wine
2. in terminal, type: winecfg (exit after it creates drive)
3. copy EQ directory somewhere on the drive_c
5. if you want a desktop icon, in terminal type: sudo apt-get install gedit
6. followed by what I posted above, just make sure to fix the path in the "cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Sony/EverQuest" bit.
7. if you don't want to use said icon just open a terminal in the EQ directory and copy/paste: taskset -c 0 padsp wine eqgame.exe patchme 2>/dev/null

that works for me on both a chromebook (galliumOS) and my intel nuc (ubuntu 16.04), results may vary depending on specs but the PoL route is kinda overkill for p99 imo
Old 01-03-2017, 05:27 PM
Aviak

Thanks for responding...

Run Gedit command output:

bash: Run: Command not found

I did install gedit (sudo apt-get install gedit)
Last edited by brknglss; 01-03-2017 at 05:37 PM..