Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 12:18 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I've been playing on p1999 for a total of 3 days. Last night I sent a tell to one of the <Dial a Port> druids to try to get an EVAC to EJ so I could return to Cab. At the time I had no idea that you needed to be in a Kunark Dungeon to be evac'd. Before we left, I tipped the man 30pp of my total life saving of 100pp (I'm lvl 14) and took a lot of shit because of it. He told me I should be tipping 75pp at least. Can we get some understanding to the new players ffs. I can barely buy leather armor let alone pay for your greed. Thanks
Old 04-13-2015, 12:50 PM
Large Rat

I have a druid in Dial-a-Port guild named Vexxtor. Now I'm not sure what everyone's general policy is, but here's mine:
When people ask me how much for the port, regardless of the destination, I just tell them to pay what they can afford. I never state a fixed price. I've been tipped 300p before, and I've been tipped 2p before. I really don't care; I'm not on my porting druid to get rich, just make some gear money for my real characters while providing a service to the community.
It's all about community here. We have one of the best with the best people around and I'd hate to see it all go away because of some loser MMO players. You want a crappy community, go hang out on Warcraft for awhile. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-13-2015, 12:57 PM
Sarnak

25-30pp is pretty fair

also there's no such thing as "1pp per level" on this server

it just isn't widely accepted rule, except for a small minority of greedy <dial a port> druids
Last edited by Ezalor; 04-13-2015 at 01:03 PM..
Old 04-13-2015, 01:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezalor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
25-30pp is pretty fair

also there's no such thing as "1pp per level" on this server

it just isn't widely accepted rule, except for a small minority of greedy <dial a port> druids
If you are a high end toon, and you are paying 25-30p, your porter thinks you are cheap bastard. You will still get your port, but everyone knows you probably tip poorly in real life too.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:23 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiacrat0222 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have a druid in Dial-a-Port guild named Vexxtor. Now I'm not sure what everyone's general policy is, but here's mine:
When people ask me how much for the port, regardless of the destination, I just tell them to pay what they can afford. I never state a fixed price. I've been tipped 300p before, and I've been tipped 2p before. I really don't care; I'm not on my porting druid to get rich, just make some gear money for my real characters while providing a service to the community.
It's all about community here. We have one of the best with the best people around and I'd hate to see it all go away because of some loser MMO players. You want a crappy community, go hang out on Warcraft for awhile. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nailed it.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:52 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you are a high end toon, and you are paying 25-30p, your porter thinks you are cheap bastard. You will still get your port, but everyone knows you probably tip poorly in real life too.
lol I think 25-30 plat even for a high level is pretty generous. I never really expect to see bigger tips then that though its nice when I do. I would say a lot of the players in the raiding guilds drop anywhere from 40 to 60 plat normally. At low levels 5 or 10 plat is really good for a tip, i'll often TP a low level for free, I know the struggles of poverty.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:02 PM
Sarnak

I have a flat rate tip of 8 Peridots. For those of you on Blue server, that's 80 pp.

If someone really saves my ass with a port they get 10 Peridots.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:10 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanol [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have a flat rate tip of 8 Peridots. For those of you on Blue server, that's 80 pp.

If someone really saves my ass with a port they get 10 Peridots.
I'm kinda in the "6 carnelian, 3 amber, 4 ivory" camp myself. Keeps 'em guessing whether it's a fair deal or not.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:17 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i port people all the time, and i would never complain about 25-30pp

i dont think some level 50s melee with no haste item who tips 30pp is a monster who stiffs waiters irl. you sound like a very angry and strange person
Old 04-13-2015, 03:03 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

To answer the OP, really any amount you feel comfortable with. Don't be a Scrooge, but don't feel pressured to give 50pp per port unless you have the means to do so.

As a poor Druid on red, I never set a strict amount, I just figure people will pay what they can.

If you can't tip, just let the porter know before hand, I bet most will be accommodating - especially if you're new.

The worst is when you give someone who clearly has gear a port and when you arrive they just say, "thanks!" and drop the group. I get that it's up to the porter to set a price before porting, but even some reasoning "no plat or gems on me, will get you back some other time" or "this is my main and I'm super poor, sorry" helps in reassuring the porter their time is appreciated.

I keep a list of people that don't donate without giving any reason, because it's a waste of my time to deal with them.

OTHER TIPS FOR POOR CHARS LOOKING FOR PORTS.

1. Don't be pushy, if the porter says they will get to you soon, give them at least 10 mins.

2. Be at or near the rings/spires you want to be ported from.

3. Be open about your lack of plat. Like I said, most are still going to be willing to help you and you won't be put on a shit list from not tipping.
Last edited by Golai; 04-13-2015 at 03:05 PM..
Closed Thread