Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 12:18 PM
Sarnak

Default Charm Dispel question

Hey all!

I am leveling my chanter and to the point where many of the mobs in dungeons now consist of casters who are incredibly fond of dispelling. So far, I've not had any problems (other than some quick bursts of damage that can complicate charm breaking), but just now I had a mob dispel my pet and charm broke.

Was this just really bad timing? Or can casters dispel charm off my pets?

It seems like there's no reason they couldn't, but it hasn't happened through many many a dispel cast, so I was starting to get a little overly comfortable perhaps, and thought I'd see if there was a hard answer out there.

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2018, 12:24 PM
Fire Giant

Yes dispell can land on charm and peel it
Old 08-01-2018, 12:40 PM
Kobold

This is why a lot of enchanters have a Bracer of the Hidden; if you cast See Invis on your pet before charming it, it's more likely that See Invis will be dispelled before Charm because it will be in the top slot. You just have to make sure to refresh the See Invis each time your pet gets dispelled.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:11 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is why a lot of enchanters have a Bracer of the Hidden; if you cast See Invis on your pet before charming it, it's more likely that See Invis will be dispelled before Charm because it will be in the top slot. You just have to make sure to refresh the See Invis each time your pet gets dispelled.
To clarify for the OP, you can't cast Bracer of Hidden on a mob before you charm it.

Also OP once you are fighting mobs that cast 2 slot dispells, such as 44+ necro/shaman mobs you'll need to junk buff with more than Bracer of the Hidden to reliably prevent charm dispels.

In my experience there are a few good ways to junk buff a pet to guard against charm being dispelled, it basically boils down to something like

Slot 1: Charm
Slot 2: Junk buff #1
Slot 3: Junk buff #2
Slot 4: Junk buff #3
Slot 5: Junk buff #4

Break charm, tash the mob, charm the mob
Now you will have
Slot 1: Tash
Slot 2: Junk buff #1
Slot 3: Junk buff #2
Slot 4: junk buff #3
Slot 5: junk buff #4
Slot 6: Charm

You don't necessarily need 4+ junk buffs, but remember if a mob lands a dispel on the pet the more buffs the dispel has to check against the lower the chance it will get to charm and succeed in removing it. With that said, while xping it's usually not really worth it to fully junk buff a pet, just use stuns/mez to stop the dispel cast.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:43 PM
Planar Protector

Just use lvl 4 mez eveytime the villain starts casting dispell or dot.
If unmezzable or high mr + read post above on stacking junks
Old 08-01-2018, 05:43 PM
Sarnak

Awesome. Thanks for the info all!
Closed Thread