Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 08:10 PM
Kobold

SoW on tap with other buffs from a shaman duo is very nice to have.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:35 PM
Planar Protector

Just heal with inner fire bw med tics Unless a big heal is absolutely needed as it is more efficient than even low lvl cleric heals until lvl 24 when you get canni and regen. Once you get a pet and efficient dots you will really pull ahead in DPS vs cleric + Paladin. Manastone changes things though.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:03 PM
Planar Protector

Shaman for duo or keeping the group small. Cleric if you want to get a full group going. Either will be ok.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:05 AM
Planar Protector

Shaman work pretty nicely with paladins. You can do most things with that duo, the paladin brings psudeo fear, big heals, but youll still lack you're snare.

Shame none of the hybrids were given slows in classic, outside of procs.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:28 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardp1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Shamans can haste, regen, stat buff, slow, heal, SoW, summon a pet, make potions, DoT, nuke, and canni for very efficient mana regen.

Clerics can heal, rez and nuke undead with poor mana regeneration.

Outside raiding or working with a charmed pet where complete heal becomes ridiculously mana efficient, a shaman is almost always the better partner.

Plus Shaman is a LOT more fun to play than a cleric (in my humble opinion) - Plus you have the option to solo. The downside is Shamans are quite possiblyt the worst raiding class in all of EQ - you need 1 and anything over that is basically dead weight.
In a strict duo shaman wins hands down, but as someone said add more players into your group and cleric is more preferable. The most sick trio for example is a charm class (not just enc, also necro,druid given there are undead or animals around), cleric + any class that can reasonably tank stuff. Hell even a well geared ranger will do the job.
Paladin + shaman still have a very low DPS, you need some DPS class to make a powerful trio.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:13 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotopes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In a strict duo shaman wins hands down, but as someone said add more players into your group and cleric is more preferable. The most sick trio for example is a charm class (not just enc, also necro,druid given there are undead or animals around), cleric + any class that can reasonably tank stuff. Hell even a well geared ranger will do the job.
Paladin + shaman still have a very low DPS, you need some DPS class to make a powerful trio.
Generally agree, though I don't think cleric+charmer+tank works if the charmer isn't a chanter. You'd have limited CC, very specific places you can charm in, no slow, no haste, no mana regen. Charm is only part of what makes cleric+enchanter amazing; the whole package is important though. Shaman+enchanter+druid would be great though, if you don't mind being so reliant on charms to maximize your kill speeds.

But more on topic, yeah, everyone is basically in agreement that purely to duo, a paladin and shaman is the way to go, but if you're adding more members then either will be just fine.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 01-26-2020 at 09:15 AM..
Old 01-26-2020, 01:16 PM
Kobold

I think a Cleric + Paladin duo would be pretty cool / fun to do. You would need to play to your advantages (Undead) and gear your cleric/paladin to take advantage of Pacify pulls which is a CHA check. Learn how to play a cleric as a utility class.

Cleric + any pet/charm class will chew through mobs.

Otherwise, I'd say a Shaman is better duo partner for ease of leveling / end game content.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:37 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotopes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Most powerful trio in my opinion would be - Paladin / Druid / Enchanter

SoW, ports, evac's, charm, mez, rez, off-heals for downtime, snare, tank. Damage is more than adequate if the enchanter can manage a charmed pet amidst CC, and druid damage line is effective.

That said, back in the actual classic day's me and two friends trio'd almost exclusively with a Ranger / Shaman / Enchanter. It was a very effective team, but the aforementioned trio I think is still more effective for the majority of content.

For a strict duo team, I would even say SK / Shaman is likely more effective than a Pally. Added benefits of snare/fear, and don't underestimate the SK damage differential with a weaponed-pet and DOTs. Also, feign death is much easier to split up a camp then the oft-resisted paladin lull line.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:42 AM
Sarnak

As most have said here, Shaman will be better 90+% of the time. Worth mentioning that between Shammy and Paladin you'll have Invis and IvU so you can travel most anywhere unhindered. I remember not having regular invis was the biggest pain of being a paladin.
Never met a good quest he didn't have to do twice.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:37 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Generally agree, though I don't think cleric+charmer+tank works if the charmer isn't a chanter. You'd have limited CC, very specific places you can charm in, no slow, no haste, no mana regen. Charm is only part of what makes cleric+enchanter amazing; the whole package is important though. Shaman+enchanter+druid would be great though, if you don't mind being so reliant on charms to maximize your kill speeds.
I'm pretty sure necros can haste their pets, also most skels dual wield, and their Lich line beats clarity. Lguk and HS are allright places to utilize undead charm for example. Many other zones have undead. The only problem is to find a good necro since many are used to mostly solo and never bother learning to group. While enchanter is a better choice to use charm for crazy DPS, necros can do it too, it is just harder.

On the original question, shaman will be a better choice for a duo or small group, cleric does better 50+ when tanks have enough hitpoints to make Complete heal extremely efficient. In most groups slowing mobs is a waste of mana since they die so fast. It's a question of preference, shamans require more active play style while cleric can just sit and cast same heal over and over.
Closed Thread