Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 07:36 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Yes that’s good math DMN but it wouldn’t be 12 spawns it would be more like ~40
Old 01-29-2020, 01:24 PM
Banned

I've noticed odd things that seem wrong with outdoor spawns in general on p99. Like in classic I don't remember there ever being "static lion that always spawns in this one spot and doesn't roam". Or "there are five elephant spawns in this zone and they always spawn elephants". I seem to remember basically everything in, say, south karana, was a potential PH for every other generic trash mob. So a roaming elephant spawn might sometimes spawn a lion or a lioness or a low level aviak etc.. Obv exceptions would be static non-roamers like the gnolls outside paw. In any case, 7 static HG spawns in rathe mountains that always spawn HG's *definitely* doesn't sound right. The whole "find evidence" thing is kind of frustrating sometimes, if like 99% of people remember things being a certain way, it probably was that way.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've noticed odd things that seem wrong with outdoor spawns in general on p99. Like in classic I don't remember there ever being "static lion that always spawns in this one spot and doesn't roam". Or "there are five elephant spawns in this zone and they always spawn elephants". I seem to remember basically everything in, say, south karana, was a potential PH for every other generic trash mob. So a roaming elephant spawn might sometimes spawn a lion or a lioness or a low level aviak etc.. Obv exceptions would be static non-roamers like the gnolls outside paw. In any case, 7 static HG spawns in rathe mountains that always spawn HG's *definitely* doesn't sound right. The whole "find evidence" thing is kind of frustrating sometimes, if like 99% of people remember things being a certain way, it probably was that way.
Honestly, I think it's a little more complex than you make it out to be.

I don't think Nilbog is 100% certain of the classic-ness of every spawn point in every zone, so I don't think he requires solid evidence to make any changes. If you could find a whole bunch of people in this forum who all agree that "X was a certain way", and there's no classic evidence to the contrary, I'd imagine he'd want to change it

In other words, I'd guess he does consider lots of people remembering X as "evidence for X" ...

... it's just that I'd also imagine his priorities are something like:
  1. stuff there's evidence for
  2. stuff whole community has the same memory of
  3. his own personal memory
  4. how it currently is
  5. one random player claiming one thing based on their memory

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:39 PM
Planar Protector

outdoor spawns were very much custom built from ground up
Old 01-29-2020, 02:06 PM
Server GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalamurv [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its actually far to few spawning, 7 static spawn locations instead of all of the lizardman bears basilisk giant skellys cyclops drakes (and their named) being a ph for hill giants. They have no ph right now, those 7 locations always spawn a hill giant, where as they should be on same spawn table as the other mobs with chance at having 15-20 up (or more)
If you have proof or want to research it please post it in the bug forum.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think Nilbog is 100% certain of the classic-ness of every spawn point in every zone, so I don't think he requires solid evidence to make any changes. If you could find a whole bunch of people in this forum who all agree that "X was a certain way", and there's no classic evidence to the contrary, I'd imagine he'd want to change it
There's also the question of motivation: Even with the necessary information in-hand, someone has to want to go in and clean things up.

A lot of the old world zones, especially outdoor zones, can be in somewhat rough shape on P1999. Remember that P1999 wasn't wholly new construction; it was based off stock EQ-EMU from ~2008-2009 then backdated as needed. Pathing was added but the nodes or "tracks" mobs follow can in some cases be limited and some creatures were missed entirely, hence where the static non-roamers come from. My experience is that P1999's expansion zones (Kunark and Velious) tend to be much better in this respect, probably owing to the protracted development cycle for those areas compared to the original content which was prepared in more rapid fashion.

Danth
Old 01-29-2020, 03:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't recall it being this way at all. How would you know it was this way? The mobs in SK for example aren't static, so how would you know that Elephant you see wandering around doesn't always respawn as an Elephant when it's killed? Are you saying you sat in SK killing one generic trash mob at its spawn point over and over and over again and it always spawned something different...because if so I'm going to guess that you never actually did that because why would someone kill one singular trash mob spawn point over and over for no reason.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:13 PM
Planar Protector

He is correct. There are numerous elephants that only spawn as elephants in South Karana, some of which only follow specific short pathing routes not shared by anything else. This includes but is not limited to the Cracktusk placeholder elephant. This behavior is widely known by players who have spent significant time in the zone on P1999.

Danth
Old 01-29-2020, 03:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't recall it being this way at all. How would you know it was this way? The mobs in SK for example aren't static, so how would you know that Elephant you see wandering around doesn't always respawn as an Elephant when it's killed? Are you saying you sat in SK killing one generic trash mob at its spawn point over and over and over again and it always spawned something different...because if so I'm going to guess that you never actually did that because why would someone kill one singular trash mob spawn point over and over for no reason.
For the same reason I noticed on p99 how the same mobs always path in the same places, I also noticed in classic that they do not. I don't think its a particularly hard thing to notice if you just spend a lot of time in a particular zone. What I remember is that the paths roamers would follow were unchanging, but *which mob* you would see following that path would vary. It wasn't always an elephant following path X every single time.
Last edited by douglas1999; 01-29-2020 at 03:35 PM..
Old 01-29-2020, 03:49 PM
Large Rat

Hill Giants were sort of a big deal for Wizards, and I kited a bunch of them. In classic/Kunark, they shared a whole bunch of random spawnpoints with lizardmen, basilisks, and several similar lower-level "trash" mobs, so if you got there and there weren't any HG's, you could kill off some trash mobs and they'd spawn like gangbusters.

That being said, the random outdoor spawning was really weird in EQ, and things tended to happen in clusters. There were several places that were "more likely" to spawn hill giants. The wider valley on one side of HG Hill seemed like such a spot, as were three distinct areas on the top of HG Hill, plus right at the northernmost tip where the two valleys meet. People used to camp those spots because they generated more HG's.
Closed Thread