Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 10:25 AM
Fire Giant

Hey Octopath,

Hope all is well with you. I would roll an Ogre Shaman given the choices.. No Crushbone but upper Guk has a great Zem and a very wide level range. As others have mentioned it is slow going early on as a shaman but really picks up 34+. Great character to have at 60.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:12 AM
Banned

Octo,

You could do a cleric now and make an Iksar shaman at Kunark launch to duo with the hundreds of lizard monk alts that will be running around.

Just fewd for thot
Old 01-27-2020, 05:46 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotopes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cleric is in fact way better soloer than wizard 1-50, especially if you stick to undead. They can wear plate, take hits and heal themselves, and bash mobs at lower levels between nukes.
Human Inny cleric is also a good alternative to DE, same benefits minus ultravision, but not KoS everywhere, and a few unique quests/items.

Shamans begin to shine in Kunark, and after massive platinum investment, in classic they are nothing special. Also solo is very slow and boring 1-34, and 34+ not that much better still. Now with JBB, epic and later Torpor is when they become solo gods.
As a Human Innoruuk Cleric, what would be the recommended starting pts be?
Old 02-02-2020, 02:41 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverwinter27 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As a Human Innoruuk Cleric, what would be the recommended starting pts be?
Personally as a semi-casual player I went for +20 wis and +10 cha, however if you plan to raid and obtain the best possible gear you might even go +25 cha and +5 wis.
High wisdom is nice since you can get on more +hp/ac items, but good +cha items are not very common. Pretty much every cleric piece out there has some wis on it, notably shoulder piece from plane of Air. It's +25 wis and it rots all the time too.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:45 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorsmash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lol clerics are better solo'rs than wizard.

The retards on this forum, it's like YouTube comments come to life.

@op Troll Shaman is the way to go. And don't believe the idiots, It's one of the easier classes to solo in classic.
In how many +high % ZEM dungeons can a wizard effectively solo, split camps, utilize mem blur as needed and tank stuff while running for the entrance with DA/DB or channeling out gate? All a higher lvl wizzy does is quad in outdoor zones with a shitty ZEM. Only at 51 with Pillar of Frost does quad become overwhelmingly better than simply nuking some blue undead.

Troll shamans have 20% exp penalty, and there is NOTHING a barb shaman cannot solo that a troll (or even ogre) can.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotopes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In how many +high % ZEM dungeons can a wizard effectively solo, split camps, utilize mem blur as needed and tank stuff while running for the entrance with DA/DB or channeling out gate? All a higher lvl wizzy does is quad in outdoor zones with a shitty ZEM. Only at 51 with Pillar of Frost does quad become overwhelmingly better than simply nuking some blue undead.

Troll shamans have 20% exp penalty, and there is NOTHING a barb shaman cannot solo that a troll (or even ogre) can.
I'm with you on the solo ability of a cleric and your conclusion that a barb shaman can do anything a troll can. But I disgree with the implication that a troll shaman isn't functionally superior to a barb one. Just because they can both solo the same things in theory doesn't mean troll regen isn't stupidly good or that a 20% exp penalty matters hardly at all (especially when barbs also have a 5% penalty).
Old 02-03-2020, 04:13 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm with you on the solo ability of a cleric and your conclusion that a barb shaman can do anything a troll can. But I disgree with the implication that a troll shaman isn't functionally superior to a barb one. Just because they can both solo the same things in theory doesn't mean troll regen isn't stupidly good or that a 20% exp penalty matters hardly at all (especially when barbs also have a 5% penalty).
Not superior but perhaps somewhat better mostly after lvl 51, prior to getting Torpor. Then the difference is very small again given both get the spell eventually from a drop or just buy it from someone.
Barb will have easier leveling due to better faction as well, not just lesser xp penalty. Those Splitpaw scroll quests in Qeynos were stupid easy xp 25-35, and only barb can do them for example.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:35 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Not superior but perhaps somewhat better mostly after lvl 51, prior to getting Torpor. Then the difference is very small again given both get the spell eventually from a drop or just buy it from someone.
Barb will have easier leveling due to better faction as well, not just lesser xp penalty. Those Splitpaw scroll quests in Qeynos were stupid easy xp 25-35, and only barb can do them for example.
Didnt the scroll quests get nerfed, along with most of the other exp turn-in quests?
Old 02-03-2020, 07:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
prior to getting Torpor.
I think a lot of shams are green are going to be "prior to getting Torpor" for a lot longer than they are expecting.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:34 AM
Fire Giant

Damn I tried to make a barbarian shaman but I’m blind as a bat.

As of now I’ve done nothing. Tried a couple times with various classes/races but it’s so hard to get past that low lvl hump.