Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 08:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plzrelax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You guys are the best
Thanks for all the time you guys spend on this.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:28 PM
Kobold

I agree the primetime populations weren't ideal. Ideal would be around 1000 and Green was Around 800 and Teal was around 700 during primetime. Due to the merge having hundreds of players step away from playing the combined server is currently at about 1050, much closer to ideal.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:45 PM
Orc

as someone who just started and recently made it to level 2, i am no expert here, but i had an idea:

If you give us another awesome brand new free server to play on, do a casual rule set. Maybe that is a daily per character time limit, 5-8 hours, so nobody can poopsock or account share. People could have a chance to bathe, eat food, maybe even see sunlight. Reduces the /list item camp demand a bit. It could work like rollover minutes on a phone plan, only play 4 hours one day be able to play 12 hours the next, just no 24/7 grinding by either one crazy person or account sharing. Not sure if that could easily be coded or what but might be interesting for a future fresh start P1999 experience.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:57 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dareo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
as someone who just started and recently made it to level 2, i am no expert here, but i had an idea:

If you give us another awesome brand new free server to play on, do a casual rule set. Maybe that is a daily per character time limit, 5-8 hours, so nobody can poopsock or account share. People could have a chance to bathe, eat food, maybe even see sunlight. Reduces the /list item camp demand a bit. It could work like rollover minutes on a phone plan, only play 4 hours one day be able to play 12 hours the next, just no 24/7 grinding by either one crazy person or account sharing. Not sure if that could easily be coded or what but might be interesting for a future fresh start P1999 experience.
People have a chance to bathe, eat food, and see sunlight now. There’s no rush to get to max level, it’s entirely a player’s choice. P99’s mission statement is to create the classic EQ experience, for better or worse. There’s other emulators out there with less populations that allow a more leisurely level of play. I think what you’re proposing would run counter to the intent of P99.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mmmmm. Meh. Was enjoying my non-neckbeard time to play the game. I am not hardcore, won't ever be. That's okay. It's also okay to be hardcore. The split servers allowed for that. It was a happy medium of both.

When green launched I already told myself no thanks. Too many assholes and not enough nice people. Then Teal launched....I gave it a go. Had the time of my life.

Instead, this now only favors the hardcore, once again. In the last 24 hours I've had some ass hat green turd just come flying through my camp or training me to take a camp 7 times. Not even in that great of areas, because now the server is over crowded for a retro emulator. The douche bag doesn't ask, just pushes on in. No apology, not worth the headache to fight over a free game. Can't report it, because nobody will do anything. "Classic" for sure.

Simple solution: just launch Kunark now.

Staff - I appreciate everything you've done!
Oh please, this is everquest, there are assholes under every rock and stone. Stop being so tribal. Everyone on green is in the same boat as those on teal; they could have just as easily closed green and merged it into teal. I for one am very happy to see a bustling population. I'd much rather deal with occasional overcrowding than play on a server that is a ghost town outside of 3 zones.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:33 PM
Sarnak

Straight up, you guys don't need to apologize for anything

You are dealing with 40 year old nose pickers getting basically exactly what they want for free
Old 01-21-2020, 09:46 PM
Fire Giant

Thanks Llandris, it's nice to see some communication. We do forget to be appreciative for the staffs time. I for one have had the best EQ experience on Greal since 1999 so hats off you guys for letting us have this amazing nostalgia kick!

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Old 01-21-2020, 09:59 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I understand why some aren't, but I'm happy that we're all back on one server.

Green has been my first experience of EQ and it's been so much fun, thank you SO much to the staff for everything you do - I'm forever grateful for the opportunity to experience this.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:02 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llandris [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Since I've seen a lot of feedback since the merger of Green/Teal, I thought I would address the players as to why and how it was done. As Rogean stated here; the population has been closely monitored since the creation of the Teal server. Collectively, we felt that the population of both servers (Green and Teal) during prime time reached the threshold we had in mind and it was decided that it was time to merge.
This should have been better communicated to the players, and I will take the hit on that. Rogean handled majority of the grunt work, and the transition went as smooth as we had hoped (corpses, lists, Guilds, faction values, inventories etc). Moving forward, I'll work with Administration to ensure there's better communication between us and the players.

- Lland
We greatly appreciate this Llandris!

A question though: A driving reason for the split was due to congestion, and not just at the low levels. There was also a concern about the high volume of players at end-game during this era. Did that concern change, despite the population staying relatively close to what was deemed too high?

You'll note here in Rogean's post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It was also important to consider the affect such a population will have once the majority of players start reaching end game zones, of which there are a very limited amount, particularly in Classic. The fact is, even at concurrent numbers of 1500 to 2000, it is simply too many players for pre-Kunark.
He states a long-term concern of what would happen to the server with a large population (1500-2000) pre-Kunark. At the time I ask this, we're at 1200...and that's with the overall totals taking a hit due to frustrations over the merge. Additionally, not only are we still pre-kunark but we don't even have all of Classic available. I think the community understands how much you all do, and values and respects your decisions. I think many of us are simply curious why now, so suddenly, when it appears we are still within the parameters that was initially deemed to be problematic and warranting of a second server.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:07 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh please, this is everquest, there are assholes under every rock and stone. Stop being so tribal. Everyone on green is in the same boat as those on teal; they could have just as easily closed green and merged it into teal. I for one am very happy to see a bustling population. I'd much rather deal with occasional overcrowding than play on a server that is a ghost town outside of 3 zones.
You are right. I expected it. There are assholes galore and will be. Isn't REALLY that huge a deal. Just inconvenient...at times. It will help economy, will help with LFG (I hope), will help having ports available, and everything else. It will be better long term. When Kunark launches....the easier camps will be available, neckbeards will run for more pixel virginity. The more casual stuff will still be here.....as it was on blue. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread