Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 11:46 PM
Kobold

Default What do mages really have going for them?

Correct my ignorance if I’m wrong on this, but they seem to just be a gimped necromancer. Necros also get a pet of similar strength. Mages can’t even root lmao. They don’t even have the raiding niche/ports of wizards. And they certainly don’t hold a candle to enchanters I think it’s fair to say.

What’s the true deal with mages throughout classic to Velious? What’s the point?
Last edited by Jean-Baptiste Cutting; 01-27-2020 at 11:48 PM..
Old 01-27-2020, 11:47 PM
Sarnak

Level to 55 and become a call of the hero bot.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albanwr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Level to 55 and become a call of the hero bot.
don't forget you can camp all low to mid tier items, and become a mod rod bot too.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:50 PM
Kobold

So mages are pretty garbo, I see.

Classic balance gonna be classic balance I guess.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Baptiste Cutting [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So mages are pretty garbo, I see.

Classic balance gonna be classic balance I guess.
Magicians, and even Wizards, don't get a whole lot compared to the other two casters.

I always repeat this.. but if Magicians and Wizards combined into one class, getting all their spells, and both their epics at once.. with the pets, the ports, the nukes, COTH, all of that.. they'd still probably be worse then an enchanter.

But thats just how the game balance ended up. Mages are still kind of neat thematically.

The game isn't balanced.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:57 PM
Planar Protector

necro summmoed pets aren't even nearly as good as mage pets for efficiency(mage pets cost almost nothing compared to necro pets). Untl kunark+ necros can't haste for shit, either. Mage DD is only marginally worse than wizards. What you essentially have it the second best DPs class for sometime, only behind a charming enchanter -- which is far more taxing on healer mana and on the player themselves having to consonantly keep focus on the charm between doing other things.

Long term you will get CoH and mod rods. That's offering more than 80-90% of the other classes.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:02 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
necro summmoed pets aren't even nearly as good as mage pets for efficiency(mage pets cost almost nothing compared to necro pets). Untl kunark+ necros can't haste for shit, either. Mage DD is only marginally worse than wizards. What you essentially have it the second best DPs class for sometime, only behind a charming enchanter -- which is far more taxing on healer mana and on the player themselves having to consonantly keep focus on the charm between doing other things.

Long term you will get CoH and mod rods. That's offering more than 80-90% of the other classes.
How valuable is CotH? I quit before Kunark on live.

I did see some chart once showing mod rods exponentially increasing the mana pool of a raid, so that’s something I guess.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:08 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Baptiste Cutting [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How valuable is CotH? I quit before Kunark on live.

I did see some chart once showing mod rods exponentially increasing the mana pool of a raid, so that’s something I guess.
Well, if green is totally dominated by one guild, CotH will still be really nice grouping in place like seb where you can just summon replacements. you can also make a ton of cash off it by summoning to select places.

Now, if there is some decent competition between guilds on green though, being able to CotH your raid force there as fast is possible is going to be a priority for every guild and it will be vital to getting the pixels before the "other guys."
Old 01-28-2020, 12:09 AM
Sarnak

uhhh. I’ll bite, I guess.

Mage Vs. Necro
- Stronger DPS in group content due to pet damage, damage shields, better DD’s, no DOT’s
- passive CC through pet tanks & pet procs, stuns that interupt casters and roots from earth
- potential to increase group dps through damage shields & busted proc weapons for pets
- earth pet will last a lot longer than necro pet if shit hits the fan.
- also can potentially save the day by chain casting pets if shit did blow up.

Vs Wiz
- similar damage Nukes, atleast for a while
- stronger sustained group dps for reasons above
- ability to share mana with the group, thus decrease down time
- less mana dependent

Vs enchanter
- if charm pet isn’t available then they aren’t competing for the same role, so this is iffy
- with charm pet then enchanter hands down, but enchanter tops the caster list anyway

For the record I play necro, but mages do have quite the edge unless we’re talking about ability to solo, and then the only real edge Necros have is their versatility in dealing with breaking camps and getting in/ out of places. A mage can still kill a lot of things that a necro can, for instance, if the room is already broken.

Most groups will tend to favor mage / necro / wizard and enchanter circumstantially will top that list depending on availability of charm pet / need for additional dps vs additional cc.

It is also a lot easier to play a mage to a decent level of competency than it is necro / enchanter.
Last edited by Natewest1987; 01-28-2020 at 12:12 AM..
Old 01-28-2020, 12:10 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, if green is totally dominated by one guild, CotH will still be really nice grouping in place like seb where you can just summon replacements. you can also make a ton of cash off it by summoning to select places.

Now, if there is some decent competition between guilds on green though, being able to CotH your raid force there as fast is possible is going to be a priority for every guild and it will be vital to getting the pixels before the "other guys."
You can make cash CotH’ing people? They need to be grouped don’t they?