Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Kobold

Send a message via ICQ to vageta31 Send a message via AIM to vageta31 Send a message via Yahoo to vageta31

Mob run speed is absolutely faster than in classic live, and anyone who denies that must not have been around to experience it first hand. It's true that mobs run so fast that even if you get a lead it is very difficult to get a spell off before they reach you even if you cast at the absolute maximum range. It was never like this before. I kited Martar and Karg in Everfrost for a few levels and even with Sow I had to literally run halfway across the zone using the strafe method to gain enough lead to recast a spell.

It was definitely not this bad on classic live as I played from Beta onwards.

The other thing that makes this worse is that mobs seem to cut corners more on this emu server so they make up even more time. They cut through walls, rocks and a lot of other things in their way that you have to navigate around so they always take the fastest path.

Now knowing this the question is should it be fixed? There is no doubt in my mind that mob speed is faster but whether or not it has to be tweaked isn't our call. People are leveling just fine and at a faster rate than ever so no need to make it too easy. I'd just be happy to once and for all put it to rest so at least we can hear acknowledgment that mobspeed is indeed faster even if they don't plan on fixing it. Almost every new player on the server I've talked to says the same thing.. "Why are mobs running so fast on this server?". It's not like everyone is having the same false memory, it's pretty clear that old school players know full well that something is different.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Orc

Maybe instead of trying to adjust the base speed for everyone, they can look into adjusting the effects of spells like sow and snare. just my 2 cents
Old 01-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vageta31 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's true that mobs run so fast that even if you get a lead it is very difficult to get a spell off before they reach you even if you cast at the absolute maximum range. It was never like this before.
Changing effects of sow/snare will not change this, which is the true dilemma.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Planar Protector

The thing that threw me off was people talking about not being able to get away from mobs.

In live, if you just ran at normal speed away from a pursuing mob = death.
In live, if you strafe run at normal speed away from a pursuing mob = life.

This is exactly the same as it functions here. I have been able to successfully get away from mobs using strafe run on this emu enough times to know that it works.

However, there is enough play between normal run speed and strafe run speed that something could still be amiss.

The issue is mob run speed, and it looks like it needs to be adjusted downwards a tiny bit. However, if the increments of adjustment possible are so large that if they adjust it down by one notch and people are suddenly able to get away from mobs at normal non-strafe runspeed, imho kiters have to get used to running larger circles and/or adapting where they can kite on this emu. It would be a much larger problem if people could just get away from pursuing mobs with autorun.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbinbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The thing that threw me off was people talking about not being able to get away from mobs.

This is exactly the same as it functions here. I have been able to successfully get away from mobs using strafe run on this emu enough times to know that it works.

However, there is enough play between normal run speed and strafe run speed that something could still be amiss.

The issue is mob run speed, and it looks like it needs to be adjusted downwards a tiny bit. However, if the increments of adjustment possible are so large that if they adjust it down by one notch and people are suddenly able to get away from mobs at normal non-strafe runspeed, imho kiters have to get used to running larger circles and/or adapting where they can kite on this emu. It would be a much larger problem if people could just get away from pursuing mobs with autorun.
I agree with this.

Unfortunately so many things were added to the game that by the time I quit EQLive nobody ran at normal run speed post lvl 25. So many classes had spells or illusions that effected run speed, people had jboots, run speed AA's, clickie items, potions, you name it.

I think that's clouding some people's memories of how things were on live. Those enhancements weren't just added to the game to decrease travel time. They were also added as survival tools for characters, and I think many have forgotten this. The main reason the strafe running glitch is common knowledge is because people HAD TO use it to survive certain situations.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Finawin

No, it isn't a clouded memory. Shit here runs faster than normal. It's been confirmed numerous times, over and over.

The issue is just not being able to fix it because of the increments involved in changing it are too great. One notch down makes the mobs too slow.

Strafe running is just barely fast enough as opposed to gaining a lead with it like you could before. Mob melee range is also GREATLY increased here and that exacerbates the problem.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:32 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Hey all,

Three more points I have not seen brought up:

(1) To the guy who complained about griffins: griffins could ALWAYS beat most sow. That was the bitch of it, they were always fast. Brings me to my next point:

(2) SOW gets "faster" the higher level the caster is. I expect this is common-enough knowledge (or was back in the day on live) but I'm repeating it here so as to bring some clarification to the "XYZ is faster than sow" discussion.

For example, at lvl 14, a druid with his own sow will not be able to outrun a griff in the karanas - that's why you better snare (and that's griffawns and griffennes, etc, not actual griffens). If you get a sow from a max-lvl dru/shm/rng, you can really haul ass.

Ditto for selo's - higher bard, higher song (and the drum mod and the perc. skill matter too).

And (3) AGI affects your runspeed. At least, it does on classic. Try it out: race a 70 AGI ogre with a 115 AGI woodelf. The woodelf will win everytime. It's a tiny difference, but it IS there.

Test it for yourself if you don't believe me.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbinbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

this is 100% true. The only difference ive noticed in mob run speed has been snared mob run speed and SoW'ed mob run speed. it seems that no matter what level the mob caster its always max sow.. and that sow run speed is not removed and then the % snare is applied but rather the sow stays on and THEN the snare % is applied. engulfing and dooming darknessed mobs are flying after me but i havent noticed much difference in mobs unsnared.
Closed Thread