Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 06:54 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default New folk-type person, where to spend my pps?

Hey folks! New-ish type guy here. Played a 49 Monk way back in Vanilla/Kunark (late 90s, early 2000s)

I'm currently running a low 20s Magician that I've been using the most awesome treasure hunting leveling guide (thanks Ioramin) to slowly level while making money, and will hopefully hit about 2k pp by level 24.

This is all in preparation for actually making a Paladin (not that Magician is awful, but I like melee and I like low-played). So I guess the real question is - how should I spend my 2k to make my Paladin decent?

So far, from what I've seen in other threads, I should get 55hp rings, definitely. Then a weapon (2h and 1h). Where should I go from there? And which weapons (if there's an especially good 2h or 1h which would outvalue having both, I'd definitely be game for that).

Trying to transition from playing Paladin more during active time periods of play, and using Magician when I may be doing something else at the same time.

Sorry it's a bit long. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 09-09-2018, 01:53 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Hi, Dykrieg. I too played back in 1999/2000 through Kunark. I'm currently a lowly 6 Ranger, solo'ing (finding a group has proved hard). With a buddy of mine (I'm Xanferix on PvE99).

When you get your Paladin, look me up, would enjoy grouping.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dykrieg [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm currently running a low 20s Magician that I've been using the most awesome treasure hunting leveling guide (thanks Ioramin) to slowly level while making money, and will hopefully hit about 2k pp by level 24.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] You're quite welcome.

I don't know much about tanks, and especially not about Paladins (since they don't get agro from procs) but I would imagine that at some point you'll want to invest in a haste item. But I'll defer to Paladin experts on whether that matters early on or not.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:52 PM
Banned

Typically for melee characters you'll want to invest in some +HP items, good weapon(s), a haste item, and items with a good amount of AC.

Haste really does make a HUGE difference though. A lot of people get a SCHW since they're around 1k plat.

Even my newbie Shaman has one.

Sometimes it differs on Tanks or Melee DPS though. For example, warriors focus on weapons that proc and haste tends to help them with aggro too. Paladins and SKs have snap aggro spells, so it's not as important for them.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:38 PM
Fire Giant

Sword of the Morning, Shiny Brass Shield / Shield of Kurn, SCHW, +55 HP/5 AC rings, bronze armor would be a good start.

P99B Strazha (60 Warlock) [Iksar]
P99B Sstrix (60 Warlord) [Iksar]
P99B Sickjams (5 Bard) [EC Mule]
P99G Sauna (51 Channeler) [Gnome]
P99R Sseri (54 Mystic) [Iksar]
VZ/TZ '08-'09 Lurgort (60 Shaman) [Barbarian] <Eight Inches Unbuffed>
Old 09-09-2018, 11:35 PM
Fire Giant

The absolute best spenditure of money for a noob is a good ratwhacker. Kill stuff faster = take less dmg = less resources spent on survival = keep camp clear = less trains and dying = more exp. Plus you will get into situations where some twink is gonna come into your group and it logically makes the most sense to just let em tank - your best contribution is as much dps as you can do. For real a paladin has the best gearing opportunities, because there is NO market for paladin only shit. You can get a baton of faith for literally 50p and has a solid .75 ratio. I would find something with lower delay until 20 until then, or just tough it out, since you will be gimped by the dmg cap. But once you are there you are golden.

Edit. Like scaringchildren said, your next purchase should be those handwraps. No other item in the game makes you do ~20% more dps for less than 1k, you can't beat that.

Also pls pls do not try to buy bronze just go to unrest when you are ready and get a suit of it for free
Last edited by pickled_heretic; 09-09-2018 at 11:49 PM..
Old 09-10-2018, 08:03 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurgort/Sseri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sword of the Morning, Shiny Brass Shield / Shield of Kurn, SCHW, +55 HP/5 AC rings, bronze armor would be a good start.
This. Should be right around 2k too.

Other spots can be filled with budget items like tar goo straps for wrists (<50pp), or maybe a sarnak hide mask. Sometimes players will even let these go for free.

As you level, you can get crusty armor for easy/cheap str, stam, and ac. Full sets go for around 1k. Orc fang earrings are nice and pretty cheap too.

Other than picking up a cheap one with low delay to get skill ups, I personally wouldn't worry about a 2h too much until damage caps are removed at 30.
Last edited by mumpz; 09-10-2018 at 08:06 AM..
Old 09-10-2018, 08:19 AM
Banned

Keep leveling your mage, farm more plat, and roll a warrior semi-twink instead if you plan on getting to 60.

You'll thank me sometime in 2019.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:03 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Thanks everyone so much for the responses! I had been wondering about a haste item, and the SCHW look perfect for that.

Xanferix, I'll definitely hit you up when I make my Paladin. Hopefully this'll give a good start.

Toxigen - I thought about a Warrior, but I like the more utility that PAL has. Although RNG and SHD were definitely in the running, I liked that PAL was just less played, I guess. I know for min-max, it's all bout them Warriors, but I like the pain! :X
Old 09-12-2018, 05:36 AM
Sarnak

Probably been said already but silver chitin hand wraps and the best weapon you can get within your budget from there
Closed Thread