Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 02:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can't be "addicted" to a video game. Your computer has an off button. Push it--problem solved.
You can cure all addictions that way with that logic.
Old 08-10-2021, 02:28 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalflingSpergand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Whatever u do don't end up living in a cyber cafe smoking meth for days playing p1999

Oddly specific fren [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-10-2021, 06:47 PM
Orc

Feel you OP. I have an addictive personality too so that doesn’t help. Definitely have an EQ addiction I’ve realized. Pandemic didn’t help, but I’ve been thinking I need to take a break myself. I like some the genuine comments in this thread though, I need to get back to leveling up in RL!
Last edited by phloridaman; 08-10-2021 at 06:50 PM..
Old 08-11-2021, 03:17 PM
Banned

I can somewhat sympathize. When I first discovered this game I binge-played so hard I actually did nerve damage to my elbow that now requires surgery to correct (I discovered I had a genetic condition where the nerve doesn’t sit in the right spot so it’s not entirely my or the game’s fault)

Nowadays I play for a few hours and then sometimes take a week off completely

What helps keep me from becoming addicted:

1. Reminding myself that the end-game/raid scene in this game is dog shit. I have a full time job and thus will never be able to do anything other than ultra casual end game stuff which means I will likely never acquire enough DKP to buy even the worst pieces of raid gear. The guild I got in is decently sized but on the lower end of the raid competitiveness it seems. It sounds like the OP also has RL responsibilities so it would be helpful for him to remind himself that he will never be able to be competitive as a raider in this game

2. High end quested gear looks miserable to obtain. I looked up things like the coldain 10 ring and it highly discouraged me. I dislike super long involve quests in any game, I like hectic hack in slash dungeon crawling, not running from side of the world to the next doing boring fetch quest shit and talking to NPC’s about lore I don’t really care about. And realizing that the quest requires crafting is more discouraging. I also hate crafting in any game, even single person games like Skyrim I always tried to avoid crafting and just exclusively do combat. Crafting feels like an unpaid more boring than my RL job within a video game

So because there is nothing to look forward to for the end-game, at least for me, that helps keep my investment very low
Old 08-12-2021, 04:04 PM
Orc

I know a guy that cures his addiction to EQ by fishing for a suspension when he feels like it's taking over is life.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:36 PM
Banned

I've literally never been in sleeper's tomb. I've been playing this game since 1999. Leveling up is the goal, ironically getting warder loot would be kind of an end. It's called everquest for a reason. It's the pursuit, the journey that is fun. Dorking around with your uberguild sociopaths is not fun.
Old 08-12-2021, 06:03 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've literally never been in sleeper's tomb. I've been playing this game since 1999. Leveling up is the goal, ironically getting warder loot would be kind of an end. It's called everquest for a reason. It's the pursuit, the journey that is fun. Dorking around with your uberguild sociopaths is not fun.
I'm with you on the sociopathic psychos that populate the raid guilds, but idk if I would have the fortitude to put up with doing something for 22 years and still falling short (using this phrase lightly) of a pretty monumental accomplishment for this era of the game.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:52 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can't be "addicted" to a video game. Your computer has an off button. Push it--problem solved. Most folks I know who over-use something like video games tend to do so for want of anything better to do with their time. It's a lot tougher you push that off button if it means you'll be otherwise sitting around twiddling your thumbs.

Danth
Ah, the best advice anyone has ever given to someone with an addiction "Just don't do it, duh ez".

This shows a deep lack on understanding what addiction actually is.

Thank you for your useful and constructive reply that you clearly put a lot of thought and consideration into [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-20-2021, 02:38 PM
Planar Protector

I was just thinking that EQ is a game introverts play because tis stay inside outside.

Bur then I remembered that it's also a social game.

And introverts usually need time alone after they are social to recharge.

So they stay inside and play EQ.

So EQ is a vicious circle for its core demographic.
Old 08-20-2021, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graahle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm with you on the sociopathic psychos that populate the raid guilds, but idk if I would have the fortitude to put up with doing something for 22 years and still falling short (using this phrase lightly) of a pretty monumental accomplishment for this era of the game.
Yeah I know what you mean, but that accomplishment is only attained one way. Things like instancing and forced rotations kind of killed the very accomplishment people were so hungry for. So I think I lean toward the uber guild crazies when it comes to their logic, I just want nothing to do with it. And we can all coexist.

Like I'm starting up a new sham right now and having the time of my life, couldn't do that without this server. Knowing that crazy weirdos are dominating all the high end content doesn't bother me at all, it actually makes it feel more classic.

Interesting anecdote though: When I played back in 2000-2001 during actual classic, I had a lvl 52 druid. I somehow got all the way up to the end of my epic where you have to go kill the spawned faydedar, which drops nothing except the quest piece. My friend who was in an uber guild on Povar *somehow* got a bunch of his guild mates and people from like two other guilds to come down and kill this mob so I could finish my epic. I was just some scrub with no money and they just came together and did it. There's absolutely no way in hell that would ever happen here, and I don't see how you can possibly emulate that.
Last edited by Ooloo; 08-20-2021 at 06:42 PM..
Closed Thread