Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 02-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Aviak

I just applied the latest patch files and I'm getting a human male "your files are out of date" at character select. Any ideas? Doesn't seem to be related to the capitalization of filenames, which was a previous issue.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Large Rat

Thanks for sharing great article +rep
Old 03-10-2012, 03:53 AM
Fire Giant

Does eq run better under linux? I wanted to try to learn linux a bit. Any suggestions?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:56 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrosaurio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I finally got a successful installation on Ubuntu with the old Nvidia card I had laying around. My tests indicate the following:

ATi, propietary drivers - Only shadows, no textures
ATi, free drivers - Not working at all (missing 3D capabilities)
nVidia, propietary drivers - Works fine
nVidia, free drivers - Not working at all (missing 3D)
Intel 945 (onboard) - Not working, all I get are spots of colour on the "agree to the EULA" and server selection page, no text, nothing.

Thanks a lot for your help [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I had to tweak the configuration a bit, as enabling HW Texel and HW shaders or Advanced Lightning makes the game really slow and not respond.

One final issue I have is that the game crashes whenever I minimise the window but I can live with that [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Next, I will be installing CentOS alongside, to see what happens [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Has anyone had luck with ATI cards? It's been one thing after another with ATI stuff under linux. Got a 6950. It might be time to buy a nvidia card just for linux *sigh*

I really like ATI but man is their shit broken in linux. I had to buy a cheap nvidia card for my xbmc system since boblight wouldn't work with ATI's closed drivers and the open drivers were too slow for xbmc.

The closest I got was mucked up models someone else had - where the bodies were all wacky looking. I got the models showing up completely black too.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Kobold

turn of vertex shader option in ini and try this for ati cards. Might work on other cards aswell. Shouldn't need to recompile or use any hacked dll's.

* Start wine regedit
* Create key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/wine/Direct3D", create string "UseGLSL", set value to "disabled"
Old 06-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Kobold

If anyone still checks this thread.............

I've been able to get EQ to launch, but there are no servers at the server select screen. I've reset the modem/router etc. It also runs fine on my windows desktop which is on the same router, so i doubt its a port issue.

I've tried fresh installs, I've copied the installation over from my windows machine, but I end up in the place each time.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadiz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can try my settings below, there are some minimal changes you need that are not present in your example relating to shadows, etc and graphics settings you probably need.

[Defaults]
APVOptimizations=TRUE
DisableWestBugFix=1
Sound=TRUE
TextureQuality=1
VertexShaders=0
20PixelShaders=0
14PixelShaders=0
1xPixelShaders=0
MultiPassLighting=FALSE
UseLitBatches=FALSE
WindowedMode=TRUE
TextureCache=FALSE
DoProperTinting=FALSE
That's the part i was missing! models works fine now thanks
Valestis lvl 1 Magician
Old 10-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Planar Protector

Lots of issues here. 12.04 LTS 64bit has issues with wine32...
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1942266
and many other threads just like it. Basically, ia32-libs-dev DNE for Precise-64. I have not been able to compile a wine32 successfully to date.

Second issue...wine 1.4.1 is the last version of wine to utilize the version of ./d3d9/directx.c that you describe. V1.5+ have the GetDeviceCaps function you mention, but I can't figure out where to put your hack because they did some major overhauling and changed variable names, etc.

Finally, when I have successfully compiled a 64bit version of wine, I can't get the new command (wine64) to do anything.
% wine64 eqgame patchme (from the EQ folder where eqgame.exe resides) doesn't DO anything. No TOS/EULA, nada. Same thing for any other windows programs I attempt to run.

More troubleshooting to follow I guess. Time to dig into where things get installed I guess.

BTW, new rig is awesome otherwise.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Orc

Just got this working under Wine 1.5.14 on Linux Mint 13 w/ Cinnamon with a Dell XPS M1530 laptop. Updated the video drivers manually first, did a 'sudo apt-get install wine1.5' and also used apt to get winetricks. Used winetricks to update d3dx9 (sh winetricks d3dx9). I only use Wine for EQ now so I didn't care if it blew away the DLLs in /system32.

Adjusted the eqclient.ini per Shininggg above and it works.

Total Linux newb, and I had banged my head against this for two days building wine, blowing it away and trying to build again a little differently, installing dependencies for everything under the sun, etc., and decided to forget it and just try the package.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Planar Protector

Update: Didn't really bother with Dx9 C fix, just implemented the eqclient.ini fixes mentioned by cadiz and I can play now. Water is beyond basic, but otherwise it looks good!