Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 11:51 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raavak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wizard can be CC and even pull if wily enough.
This. The most fun I've had playing my wizard is from playing wrecklessly, CCIng, pulling etc.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:59 AM
Banned

Reckless and proactive are two very different things. An assertive player changes the group for the better. This points to clerics, bards, chanters, wizards and druids who are typically reactive and submissive class roles. Done right, it isn't reckless, its very efficient.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:15 PM
Fire Giant

Stuns stuns stuns. Use your stun line to interrupt casters in groups were stuns and pushes may be lacking. interrupt those heals and big boy dd's!

Edit: dang, between the time i wrote this and the time i submitted it, this thread filled up nicely. everything they said above me!
Old 02-25-2014, 01:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aborath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know, I know; wizards should be quadding. But what about those times when all the good quad locations are camped
Scout out different quad locations. This is an emulated server, with a peak population of 1/2 that on live. There are exp spots open you just gotta look for em. DL, BW, Dwarves, Spirocs, Tigers in OT, Bloodgills, and I'm sure there are others for your level. Wizard is really specialized for quadding, aoe groups, raid bosses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aborath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But what about those times when... you just feel like grouping instead? How do you make yourselves an asset to the group--and not a fifth wheel
Play another class. Even if you do all the stuff Motec is saying and do it perfectly, there are still a handful of classes that will fill that group slot better than you if they are an average player or better. If we were on a classic timeline then wizard would be more valuable in groups, but since we've been in kunark for 3 years and classic for 2 years before that or however long it has been, most characters have pretty good gear and wizads don't really benefit groups with better gear, as their DPS won't improve, unless they have epic +manastone or manna robe, or solists robe. However, if they do get rid of duck interupting and put in spell gem refresh on clickies that would be a different story.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Banned

This^

" there are still a handful of classes that will fill that group slot better than you if they are an average player or better"

It is that simple. Well worded and succinct sir.

But a wizard played well to the extent of the class is capable of is involving, entertaining, and rewarding to do so. At most a selfish endeavour. While other classes do not need to justify their existence, a wizard does. However, the group would be better just inviting a ranger.

Come velious, things do not change either. However soloing and duo opportunities present themselves, and in more popoular spots with more popular port locations so that Clarity bumming becomes less of a hinderence (to the wiz!).

Stick with it, at 60 the class is extremely rewarding, with huge opportunity to minmax, a large assortment of equipment you can swap and change per encounter, and extremely precise play to be effective at your role. Like anything though, get out of it what you put in to it.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buriedpast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This^

" there are still a handful of classes that will fill that group slot better than you if they are an average player or better"

It is that simple. Well worded and succinct sir.

But a wizard played well to the extent of the class is capable of is involving, entertaining, and rewarding to do so. At most a selfish endeavour. While other classes do not need to justify their existence, a wizard does. However, the group would be better just inviting a ranger.

Come velious, things do not change either. However soloing and duo opportunities present themselves, and in more popoular spots with more popular port locations so that Clarity bumming becomes less of a hinderence (to the wiz!).

Stick with it, at 60 the class is extremely rewarding, with huge opportunity to minmax, a large assortment of equipment you can swap and change per encounter, and extremely precise play to be effective at your role. Like anything though, get out of it what you put in to it.
Wizard is actually a great duo partner with rogues or monks, bards too for pbaoe kiting i think. Standard xp group...not so much.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:02 PM
Banned

Wiz and bard is probably the highest xp per hour duo in the game. Right to 60 it's just amazing.

And a solo 59+ bard can PL a wiz in KC basement fairly hardcore.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:04 PM
Aviak

Cool, page two. Some solid gold advice in this thread. Now to find a bard to duo to sixty with.

Kadatha Sharptail <BDA> ~ Level 40 Iksar Monk
Old 02-25-2014, 09:46 PM
Planar Protector

Wasn't the Wiz/Bard duo dependent on low HP kiting to be effective? (i.e. Bard agros huge swarm while low HP to keep full agro, runs mobs through Wiz while he PBAOEs). As far as I know this was supposed to have been nerfed.

Is there some other method that is equally as effective? Or does that still work the same way?
Old 02-25-2014, 09:48 PM
Kobold

I wouldn't let the min/maxers sway you from enjoying a full group.
Closed Thread