Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 03:04 PM
Sarnak

on PSX (I still occasionally play them on my modded PSP):

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete

Turn based fights. I've rarely seen a story as well thoughtout and intricate as in these in games before or since.

I played the remake they have on native PSP, but it was missing a lot of the story/features of the original. It just didn't play right. They did a great job with the graphics conversion though.

Arc the lad series on the PSX is great too. I started playing those about 6 months ago on my PSP, but got caught up in work, house, etc. I believe I beat the first or second one and thoroughly enjoyed it at the time.
Last edited by moklianne; 02-24-2011 at 03:13 PM..
Old 02-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnimorph [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Off topic : Civ 5 is great, BUT Civ 2 is the definitive strategy game. Before they brought in all this culture bullshit and snazzy graphics. That game was just flat out brilliance. Graphics weren't over elaborate, but decent enough. Mechanics of the game were flawless... loved it. Every civ since civ 2 has been slightly disappointing, but still a good game in their own right.
Funny, exactly how I felt about the Civ 1, lol. Can't beat a game that fits on 2 floppies and you can easily forget that 8 hours just passed by.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:15 AM
Kobold

If you have not played Vandal Hearts, you should!

This is by far my favorite Konami title and I have a *lot* of love for most of the Suikoden series and the original Contra.

It has character development similar to Shining Force, where each member of your 'army' has their own personal back story and quirks that get revealed over the course of the game... (instead of FFT's method of randomly generated units with some unique characters to support them.)

You don't have the ability to change your units' jobs at will, but there are specific classes and you have the ability to pick a 'path' for each character after they've reached a certain level. (Also akin to Shining Force)

The soundtrack is good (I keep the ending theme in .mp3 format on my *data I cannot lose* flash drive!) and some of the sound effects are great.

The storyline isn't half bad, and there's more of an adult feel to the game than what is depicted in FFT.

VH is a fairly fast 'beat', but there's lots of hidden stuff to discover that you'll probably miss the first time through (unless you gamefaq it -.- )
Old 03-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Sarnak

Default asdf

I've played Tactics Ogre for the PSX but recently picked up the remake for the PSP that just released and it is still very fun, I play it while I med.

Tactics Ogre : The knights of Lodis for the GBA was a good game as well.

Obviously FFT is FFTASTIC.

I have Ogre battle 64 on my Wii that I paid for but have not played yet, I DL'ed that one because I heard, in some opinions, that it is one of the best games for the N64.

Also, I've heard very very mixed reviews on Operation Darkness (I'm a sucker for Atlas games) on the 360. The learning curve and difficulty were in question.

And on a final note, Valkyria Chronicles for the PS3 and Valkyria Chronicles 2 for the PSP are both fabulous games.
Powerful 51 Iksar Monk
Old 03-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by moklianne [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Funny, exactly how I felt about the Civ 1, lol. Can't beat a game that fits on 2 floppies and you can easily forget that 8 hours just passed by.
Actually yeah, i felt the same way when i first played Civ2, but then i got used to it and well, it became one of my all time favourite games. It improved on civ1 with more units, more techs, better graphics (without being extravagant... it is a turn based game set on a 2d map afterall) and had some interesting new features.

The Civs after made the game convoluted and put emphasis on things that never mattered in previous versions like graphics and battle animations. And the culture thing was just annoying.

And yeah, it was probably the first game i played where i could literally play it and lose track of time. I mean some of the saved games i had were like 10hrs of gameplay. And this was all on a game i got free with my computer when i bought it!

I enchant things...
Old 03-02-2011, 08:53 AM
Aviak

I prolly wasted most of my gaming time on Shining Force (1,2,3) and (non-strategical) Phantasy Star 2, on the MegaDrive/Genesis.

Enchanter, The Northern Wind
Closed Thread