Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 09:54 AM
Planar Protector

Which is a bard.

You get AC boost with songs.

Actual aggro building and quick cast aggro is better than taunt as you won't lose aggro to, say, a rogue (taunt only puts you at top of aggro list +1, selo's consonant chain even single cast locks aggro even on raid targets). Bard is already the only class that can AE tank with AE slow song, or AE stun DoT if you dont care about mezzing for some reason.

Unless you're getting stunned for like 10 seconds straight, any fight needing elemental resist wont fall off since it lasts 18 seconds.

Quick cast rune is there on bards, but really a quick cast rune with any substantial HP shield is just stupid OP on melee. Look at bladestoppers for example. Making that a baseline spell on a melee is just terrible balance unless the melee has literally no hp.

I'm not sure you understand how huge these similarities are.

Bards can do everything you're describing, plus more.

Specifically to what you posted, I can say "So ,a bard" because its relevant to every single tick point you made

I'm talking a jack of all trades, but when played right is fine as a hybrid tank like pally and sk.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:58 AM
Skeleton

haha just wrong
Old 10-10-2018, 10:01 AM
Planar Protector

So try to rebut some points. I literally pointed at every single thing you said, and made a clear arguement for bard.

Thanks for trying to troll, it was amusing.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:09 AM
Skeleton

A bard is not a half wizard, half warrior hybrid. The features of both classes, namely WIZARD DD spells/gates and taunt skill/melee damage/durability are not present in a bard.

I am glad you like the bard class, but trying to say that what i was describing is already a class is, just true.

And sure, it was a stupid thread. But you made it worse Legidias. I would have preferred to hear more of what other people were saying.

/shrug
Old 10-10-2018, 10:09 AM
Skeleton

not true /blush
Old 10-10-2018, 10:43 AM
Planar Protector

Sounds like he's envisioning something more like the Thane from Dark Age of Camelot. Bard does some of the things listed in the original post, but doesn't have the high burst that'd be characteristic of a wizard-based hybrid. Ranger might come closer, especially if you're picky about equipment (stick to plate graphics) and count abilities gained from click effects.

That being said, the Bard in EQ is defined as a hybrid within the game's own systems--note it carried the same 40% experience penalty as the other hybrids. Hence the game already has two INT-based hybrids if you want to split hairs.

Danth
Old 10-10-2018, 10:55 AM
Skeleton

Yea the thane would be similar or just any fighter/mage d&d clone- you are totally right that bard is listed hybrid and it is INT based- I fogot that- the other hybrids do get the casters line of spells, and the whole point of being half wiz would be DDs (like draughts) and gate spells/TLs plus a rune line for survivability, in sddition to warrior's defense andsome decent melee damage.

Ive played a bard. I dont think what is being described would play the same nor fill the same role in groups/raids/solo.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:36 AM
Planar Protector

Meh, I presented all the facts and you are simply choosing not to believe them.

Bards also get a big, mana heavy DD nuke so thats another +1 for the wiz hybrid.

Rangers don't get gate or portal as a druid hybrid, so why would a wiz hybrid get them?

Durability is fine, bards can raid tank basically everything except for big end game dragons / city leaders.

Runes I already explained. Any rune of significant damage absorption is stupid OP on melee unless their base HP is nil (and bards have rune songs).

(Others were also agreeing with me if thats what you cared about).

Real talk though, a wizard hybrid would be interesting as a class that buffs itself for procs, which act like nukes. Make it have less melee damage, like a bard's melee table (take away double attack). Like imbuing a DD nuke into your weapon.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:42 AM
Planar Protector

Need 2 tanks in group so I can afk for 50% of pulls like the wizard half of me requires.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:49 AM
Skeleton

Legidas, RE: your last statement. I think thats cool. i think they added quite a few of such spells for paladins on Live to balance their output. could do the same with the rune spells? I dont think they would need to be a lot of hp, the dmg absorb could be low and proc off weapon. dont think it would be op. maybe it could just absorb spell dmg for balancing.

I just wanted to open a convo about other classes. wiz/rog was a comment there. wonder how that would work.its a common enough fantasy class type.

they are theorhetical classes after all, the gates for this hybrid would just be a bonus. still couldnt bind.
Closed Thread