Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 07:53 AM
Fire Giant

When i am playing a melee class i think i notice less hits coming in when getting an agi buff, i do think it is noticable. But that maybe bias of course, so i would very much welcome if somebody would indeed try to parse it for a suitable long time.

The fact that everybody believes that agi beyond 75 is doing nothing for avoidance doesn't mean it is that way.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:00 AM
Planar Protector

Agi adds avoidance AC which when you compare someone with 100 agi to someone with 255 the difference in getting hit is pretty noticeable. Like having iksar AC except avoidance. It's pretty strong despite the naysayers on these forums.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:41 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When i am playing a melee class i think i notice less hits coming in when getting an agi buff, i do think it is noticable. But that maybe bias of course, so i would very much welcome if somebody would indeed try to parse it for a suitable long time.

The fact that everybody believes that agi beyond 75 is doing nothing for avoidance doesn't mean it is that way.
For what it's worth, I'll take agility buffs when I can get them, and I believe (and the wife even more adamantly believes--as the person usually healing me) that agility does help some, even if only a little.

Let's assume for a moment agility works "as advertised." In this case it takes about 6 to 7 points of agility to provide what the game counts as 1 AC (avoidance AC). For the sake of comparison, 1 point of defense skill provides somewhere on the order of 2.4 AC, and a level's worth of defense gains (5 points) provides about 12 to 13 AC. The difference between 230 to 252 defense on my 60 Shadow Knight is 54 AC. Point being: We all know from leveling our own characters that the difference in MISS between a character with 155 to 160 defense is rather small, yet that difference is the equivalent of perhaps 70 to 80 agility. As such, even if everything's working properly a large amount of agility will have only a small impact. The 20 or 25 points at creation would have nearly no impact at all.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, some players are quite certain that agility beyond 75 has no effect at all on EQ-Emulator, and a few people go farther and insist that defense skill doesn't work either and the combat tables are solely based on level. Since P99's combat code has been customized beyond that of stock EQ-EMU and is not publicly available, such claims cannot be confirmed or refuted except via extensive parsing.

....That's the sticky bit. Because agility will only have a small effect even if it's working perfectly, even a medium amount of log recording won't be enough to differentiate its effect versus the whims of the random number generator. It would take a *massive* amount of log parsing to conclusively prove agility's effect one way or the other. Who wants to do that? I don't. With that in mind, I prefer instead to stick to what I originally said: I don't specifically gear for agility, but some of it ends up on my gear anyway and I'll take agility buffs when I can get them. At worst it can't hurt, and maybe it helps a bit--all potential upside, no potential downside.

Danth
Old 10-17-2018, 10:25 AM
Planar Protector

AGI = no noticeable effect when there, but if you lack it (<75) then you'll feel it dearly.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:47 AM
Banned

omg another god damn old wives tale thread.

Get agi to 75 for all classes and races and dont touch it. thats it. seriously thats it.

if you want you can look at "agi make more avoid" because of the massive ac penalty you get when at 74 or below. if you want a fungi for leveling so bad get some agi gear because you wont be using it forever.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:03 PM
Aviak

As far as how agility works on p1999 and on most EQ emulator servers the above advice will suffice.

Back in 1999-2001 era in simplistic terms there was a noticeable avoidance chance increase on melee hits versus attackers your level or lower by getting to agility 100 roughly 5-6%. This dimished rapidly with levels above your own, high attack values (raid targets), attack buffs etc. to the point of being unnoticeable in log parsing. Getting to around 150 agility was equivalent to roughly 1% extra avoidance and anything above that was extremely dimished in returns to almost unnoticeable >.5%< till cap of 255. Monks and to far less extent rogues got a marginally better return on avoidance from agility. This changed- usually nerfed as EQ aged and AAs became the avoidance bonus.

This was hard to account for and most people doubted it’s relevance due to the AC stat in original EQ being a sum that included avoidance chance, armor (damage reduction chance) from equipment and shield ac (same as armor but with extra effects that changed as EQ aged) which were all modified by your class.
Last edited by rajax; 10-17-2018 at 07:07 PM..
Old 10-18-2018, 03:04 AM
Planar Protector

Rogues got a mitigation boost for moderate levels of agi as well as the usual increase to avoidance.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:50 AM
Kobold

so no one actually has hard evidence of parsing a raid boss missing more due to max agi?
Old 10-25-2018, 12:36 PM
Planar Protector

What raid boss are you talking about? End game (city leaders, NToV) bosses dont really miss unless disc'd, and are such higher level than 60 that they basically max hit every round. Given the damage they put out, AGI difference in mitigation doesn't even matter squat when you CH every time (shaving off 50-200 dmg off a 4k quad isnt going to be noticeable).
Old 10-27-2018, 03:32 AM
Fire Giant

I mean...I haven’t run the numbers for Velious, but I should. In Kunark, we ran pretty hard numbers on AC and AGI. We saw a pretty minor increase in avoidance, aka mob missing you.

While minor, it could matter on fights like AOW, where the mob landing a full dmg flurry or 2 could wreck a tank. Is it something to worry about generally? Probably not. As a warrior, focus on stam and dex and take whatever AGI you get from getting that gear.