Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 03:11 PM
Planar Protector

Have y'all seen the fandangled sewinv machines? Fucking cool shit.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahldagor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have y'all seen the fandangled sewinv machines? Fucking cool shit.
you mean like the ones that will embroider all kindsa patterns and stuff? yeah, they are expensive and fabric isn't much my thing. i liek pretty much everything else in craft stores though. except yarn, not really into that either or liek the cake decorating stuff.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you mean like the ones that will embroider all kindsa patterns and stuff? yeah, they are expensive and fabric isn't much my thing. i liek pretty much everything else in craft stores though. except yarn, not really into that either or liek the cake decorating stuff.
Ths cake stuff is tasty on cakes, but a pain in the ass to work with. Yarn has its place me thinks. Crochet afficianados are all around.

Those are the badass machines. Have you weighed how the need for textiles spawned the industrial revolution?
Old 03-01-2019, 11:34 PM
Banned

i got to play with one it was programmable and sheit. i made a hat that said "CUM"
Old 03-02-2019, 10:45 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by America [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i got to play with one it was programmable and sheit. i made a hat that said "CUM"
Hell yeah
Old 03-02-2019, 03:39 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We don't not have one of these, so i thought I would make one and kick it off with this super cool article about occupation enhancements in rodents:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...ors/ar-BBUeNkD

summary: Researchers develoAlex a nano-particle that when injected into the eyes of mice, attached to retinal cells thereby allowing them to perceive specific wavelengths of infrared light which the particles were designed to convert. Apparently the effect only lasts a couple weeks and causes no lasting changes/damage to vision.

How isn't that not the coolest thing you've read today?
It is a good study, very thorough, and pretty novel. Wrote my thesis on synthesis/self-assembly of nanoparticles (about 1/10th the size of these NPs) and my postdoc in the stability of nanoparticle coatings, so it is right up my alley. I looked at the figures, but haven't read the whole thing yet... it looks very promising. I don't know enough about the biology part to know the electronic signalling details of the eye. For example I believe pupil dilation/contraction is governed by visible light response, so wearing shitty sunglasses (no UV protection) can cause UV damage to the eyes. I wouldn't expect NIR radiation to cause damage, but wonder if there are any effects of the NPs absorbing it (local heating?).

From a synthesis perspective the particles look pretty safe and stable. Despite using Yttrium and Ytterbium (rare, and can be toxic) the coatings (polyacrylic acid and then a protein corona) prevent diffusion in/out of the core pretty well. Their synthesis is a nightmare though... so complicated. There are easier methods.

The real breakthrough/practicality would be if they could get a broader NIR absorption and maintain their narrow emission bands by mixing up the particle sizes. I will have to dig into the paper... I don't understand the bimodal emission band yet.

There are lots of applications for NPs you'll see pop up in the coming years, especially in electronics/medicine. Some of the particles I make are being used to test for deadly diseases at trace levels with very high accuracy. It is a fun field of research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbonkers [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
but can they see why kids love cinnamon toast crunch?
Best possible first reply!
Old 03-02-2019, 03:52 PM
Planar Protector

Ohh that’s interesting stuff! Thank you for sharing your expertise.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:58 AM
Planar Protector

It was a very good poast and I enjoyed reading it ^^ ty for contributing.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:00 AM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-04-2019, 11:01 AM
Planar Protector

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahldagor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ths cake stuff is tasty on cakes, but a pain in the ass to work with. Yarn has its place me thinks. Crochet afficianados are all around.

Those are the badass machines. Have you weighed how the need for textiles spawned the industrial revolution?
Yep, they all've their places, just some interest me less than others for whatever reason. And no, I've not given much thought to the industrial revolution of textiles in general. Good points though.