Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 02:14 PM
Planar Protector

Default That's racist!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTSQozWP-rM

WTF, really? This is running on US national television.. Is this kind of fear mongering at the expense of our outlook on Chinese people really necessary? Feels awfully like the anti-jewish propaganda in the late 30's in Germany (obv I'm not old enough to remember, but I've researched this a bit).

I'm leaving, but I wanted to come home to see whatchyall thought..

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Aviak

haha well those people did voluntarily appear in that commercial. fact is man, americans are all just extremely arrogant. we think we can go on being assholes to everyone around the world and get away with it. we're in for a rude awakening. any student of history would know this. the roman empire lasted, what approx 200 years? i think the american empire (yes empire considering how many military bases we have around the world. people on okinawa want us to leave? HAHAHA too bad bitches) is just about to run its course. its quite obvious our systems are collapsing (by design) around us, but us americans, we do what we have always done best, and stick our heads in the sand and pretend its not happening. HUGE CORPORATIONS STRAIT STEALING MONEY FROM THE TAXPAYER? THE CIVIL LIBERTIES THAT ONCE MADE US GREAT BEING STRIPPED BEFORE OUR EYES? BOMBING EVER MORE PEOPLE KILLING 100'S OF THOUSANDS OF INNOCENT CIVILIANS AROUND THE GLOBE? WHO CARES, WE HAVE DANCING WITH THE STARS AND AMERICAN IDOL WOOOOT!!!!1
Old 03-30-2011, 03:20 PM
Banned

0 potential
Old 03-30-2011, 03:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by impact [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the roman empire lasted, what approx 200 years?
Lol.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischsemmel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lol.
*conspiratorial snicker*
Old 03-30-2011, 05:34 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by impact [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
haha well those people did voluntarily appear in that commercial. fact is man, americans are all just extremely arrogant. we think we can go on being assholes to everyone around the world and get away with it. we're in for a rude awakening. any student of history would know this. the roman empire lasted, what approx 200 years? i think the american empire (yes empire considering how many military bases we have around the world. people on okinawa want us to leave? HAHAHA too bad bitches) is just about to run its course. its quite obvious our systems are collapsing (by design) around us, but us americans, we do what we have always done best, and stick our heads in the sand and pretend its not happening. HUGE CORPORATIONS STRAIT STEALING MONEY FROM THE TAXPAYER? THE CIVIL LIBERTIES THAT ONCE MADE US GREAT BEING STRIPPED BEFORE OUR EYES? BOMBING EVER MORE PEOPLE KILLING 100'S OF THOUSANDS OF INNOCENT CIVILIANS AROUND THE GLOBE? WHO CARES, WE HAVE DANCING WITH THE STARS AND AMERICAN IDOL WOOOOT!!!!1
Is that really "Americans"? No. Maybe you since you refer as us, we, etc... but that's not me or any of the people I keep company with.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Fire Giant

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-30-2011, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Lol they probably should have thought about that before sneak attacking Hawaii, eh?
Old 03-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lol they probably should have thought about that before sneak attacking Hawaii, eh?
Japan used Kamikaze, it's not very effective. United States used Atom Bomb, it was super effective!

Seriously, every time I see a fucking thread like this OH MYGOD THEY HAD 14 PEOPLE ITS OUR MOB LOL OURS OURS OURS YESSS I just want to fucking deathtouch the entire guild and despawn the mob.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Sarnak

Soooooo many things wrong here. You think I would be smart and maintain my silence, but I guess I feel like banging my head against the wall.

To begin:

Hasbinbad: you are correct. This is fear-mongering at the least (though perhaps not borderline racist), and is rhetorical manipulation of emotion in its most basic form (clearly, EVERYTHING that afflicts American society today is the result of the fact that most Americans are lazy, and have lost their basic appreciation for the values of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness - or so this commercial wishes to convince us. Poverty, racism, corruption in the public sector and rampant personal materialism in the private sector, not to mention a cultural lifestyle of "conspicuous consumption", are merely pure coincidences and have nothing to do with the issues at hand). However: NOTHING is comparable to Nazi Germany's treatment of the Jewish people at any point. The very comparison itself is a rhetorical trap that diminishes both the argument it is used to support as well as the experience of the Shoah. Your command of language and your general reasoning skills (in past, unrelated posts) demonstrate that you're too smart to fall into such a trap (and I really do mean that with great respect). All that being said: this commercial has been running on US TV for over 6 months - have you only just seen it?

Impact: In 49 BCE Julius Ceasar, against the direct order of the Senators of the Roman Republic, crossed the Rubicon River with the intent of marching on Rome and overthrowing the Senate in order to establish a personal dictatorship (an attempt ultimately thwarted by his assassination at the hands of Marcus Brutus, etc.). His grandson and heir Octavian (who re-named himself Augustus) was ultimately able to establish the dictatorship of Rome (or rule by a sole ruler) in 27 BCE. Either of these two dates is generally used to mark the establishment of the Roman Empire.

Throughout the 4th century the various Caesars established the practice of breaking the administration of the Empire into regions, effectively creating a "Western Roman Empire" and "Eastern Roman Empire". History considers the "fall" of the Western Empire to have occurred in 476 CE (when the then Emperor was forced to abdicate). The Eastern Empire (generally referred to as the Byzantine Empire) lasted until the fall of Constantinople to the Ottoman Turks in 1453 CE (thereby inspiring a jazz standard). The Roman Republic, which preceded both, commenced in c. 508 BCE.

This means, you ignorant ass, that the Roman Empire lasted either 500 or 1,500 years (depending on how you measure it), and the rule of the SPQR (the "Senatus Populusque Romanus" or "Senate and People of Rome") is considered to have lasted approx. 2,000 years. Most notably NOT the 200 years you would claim.

Harrison, there are times you make me feel ashamed that I live in the Commonwealth of MA with you (when the Commonwealth isn't managing to make me feel that way on its own). The Okinawans themselves were invaded by the Japanese many times, and are no more from Japan than you and I are from California. Further, in the light of both the devastation that has recently afflicted the Japanese, and their extremely peaceful and positive response to it (do you realize that there have been NO incidents of looting reported in the aftermath of the tsunami/earthquake??), your ignorant and despicable comment serves only to justify the contempt that so many members of this community hold you in.

Gorgetrapper: on the basis of that comment alone, you sir, should be deeply ashamed. Beyond that, someone should punch you squarely in the nose.

I've no doubt that this rant will produce some cutting, intelligent, and extensively well-thought out rebuttals, mostly consisting of some witty remarks such as "tl;dr" and comments about my personal conduct and/or sexual preferences. To which I most politely and endearingly suggest: go screw yourselves.

Aarone - Paladin o' Brell

"Tempus Fugit. Memento Mori."
Last edited by Aarone; 03-30-2011 at 07:25 PM..
Closed Thread