Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 01:18 PM
Planar Protector

I try to remember that every angry post on these forums is probubly just someone who is going to go on a corpse run next time they log in.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:59 PM
Planar Protector

I think there's a (fine) line between "letting people know about useful stuff" and "I need attention, please won't someone give me some attention!" [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Pretty much everyone (I think rightfully) looked down on the latter, but not on the former ... the only problem (as this thread clearly demonstrates) is that different people disagree on where that line should be drawn.

I have almost the exact same problem with the wiki: I improve it often, and I want to let people know about the improvements, but at the same time I don't want to come across as being like "hey Mom, look at the new thing I made, shower me with love and affection (that I clearly should be getting elsewhere but instead I'm looking for it in an elf sim forum)."

The compromise I found was to create http://wiki.project1999.com/Notable_Updates, and put most of my updates (and any other wiki editors' work I come across) on to that page. Then I only ask the forum when I specifically need feedback on a new feature (eg. with the new loc maps). For me this has resulted in a proper "stradling" of the line: I can get the community's feedback when I need it, but I don't make so many posts that I annoy people.

Your situation isn't quite the same of course, as no one downvotes my wiki work [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] But I think the same basic idea applies. You should be able to announce your new work to this forum, but you also should do it in a way that doesn't make you come across to anyone as an "attention whore" (and won't result in downvotes ... or at least no more than you get simply by exposing your videos to this forum at all, because you have to know there will be a few losers/griefers here who will downvote almost any video posted now matter how you post about it).

Again, not everyone will agree on where to draw the line, but it seems to me that the ideal solution would be to have a single thread with a very clear name (eg. "Youtube Video Series: The Adventures of Rupes"), possibly in server chat, but maybe in the Off Topic forum instead, as that's less likely to ruffle anyone's feathers. Then, instead of starting a new thread with each video, you could simply add a new post to that thread.

People who aren't interested will simply avoid that thread, while people who are interested will see it at the top every time a new video comes out. Problem ... solved?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 07-22-2019 at 02:02 PM..
Old 07-22-2019, 02:24 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think there's a (fine) line between "letting people know about useful stuff" and "I need attention, please won't someone give me some attention!" [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Pretty much everyone (I think rightfully) looked down on the latter, but not on the former ... the only problem (as this thread clearly demonstrates) is that different people disagree on where that line should be drawn.

I have almost the exact same problem with the wiki: I improve it often, and I want to let people know about the improvements, but at the same time I don't want to come across as being like "hey Mom, look at the new thing I made, shower me with love and affection (that I clearly should be getting elsewhere but instead I'm looking for it in an elf sim forum)."

The compromise I found was to create http://wiki.project1999.com/Notable_Updates, and put most of my updates (and any other wiki editors' work I come across) on to that page. Then I only ask the forum when I specifically need feedback on a new feature (eg. with the new loc maps). For me this has resulted in a proper "stradling" of the line: I can get the community's feedback when I need it, but I don't make so many posts that I annoy people.

Your situation isn't quite the same of course, as no one downvotes my wiki work [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] But I think the same basic idea applies. You should be able to announce your new work to this forum, but you also should do it in a way that doesn't make you come across to anyone as an "attention whore" (and won't result in downvotes ... or at least no more than you get simply by exposing your videos to this forum at all, because you have to know there will be a few losers/griefers here who will downvote almost any video posted now matter how you post about it).

Again, not everyone will agree on where to draw the line, but it seems to me that the ideal solution would be to have a single thread with a very clear name (eg. "Youtube Video Series: The Adventures of Rupes"), possibly in server chat, but maybe in the Off Topic forum instead, as that's less likely to ruffle anyone's feathers. Then, instead of starting a new thread with each video, you could simply add a new post to that thread.

People who aren't interested will simply avoid that thread, while people who are interested will see it at the top every time a new video comes out. Problem ... solved?
Thanks a lot for your thoughtful feedback Loramin! I will wait a few days then create something like this in the Off Topic section of the forum.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:25 PM
Kobold

I mean could even be as simple as Forum GMS adding a new thread p99 videos or somthing or hook him up with a sticky thread like you mentioned, but the fact that people hating on dude simply cause of a thread creation for videos is cray cray. And to give him negative feedback and hate on his stream page due to making a thread here is just sad. If you don't lIke his videos or threads it is simple as spinning that bad as lititle wheel on the middle of the mouse you use and roll on past it. Or just don't click it.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:37 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lol what. What kind of mental gymnastics are you doing that I am the butthurt one in this situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's called spam. One thread for all his videos is just fine. If everyone made announcement threads for everything they did, the forums would be unusable.
Quote:
Because this announcement needed another thread...
Quote:
If anything a single thread should be fine. A new one for each video is a bit much.

You... literally shitting on this guys parade. People are enjoying his videos, and here you are whining.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You... literally shitting on this guys parade. People are enjoying his videos, and here you are whining.
But like... I'm not even suggesting that he not post his videos. I think one thread to announce his new stuff is a perfectly reasonable suggestion to make and doesn't warrant your over the top reaction. I've watched all of his videos and enjoy them. *Shrug*
Last edited by jolanar; 07-22-2019 at 02:51 PM..
Old 07-22-2019, 02:58 PM
Planar Protector

One thread is fine, you can do that all day long. A new thread for each one...not so much. Just my opinion.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:19 PM
Kobold

Thanks, it was too much.

Start a discord if you want to promote yourself.
Last edited by Sporkotron; 07-22-2019 at 03:24 PM..
Old 07-22-2019, 03:28 PM
Banned

Official Fuzy Video Thread- Make it! We will come!!
Old 07-22-2019, 04:25 PM
Sarnak

Yea I tried one thread for all my stories but updates get buried and are hard to find. Unfortunately in these forums they don't like you editing your own posts for some reason, makes it difficult as a content creator. Ideally would just update the OP and bump upon update