Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 02:52 AM
Large Bat

Default Love Bard, hate aoe kiting

Is there a life for me through the levels? I am currently 36, have kited my way this far and I hate it. I want to be grouping and being useful while learning my role in a party.

Being that this is one of my first characters, i have patchwork, bronze, and a cat o nine tails, i'm pretty much ballin right now... what are some cheap weapon/gear upgrades that I should aim for, and what would make me most useful to groups right now?

I love the bard class and want to experience the game outside of running in circles by myself. If anyone has any tips on what to do and where to go from here that would be much appreciated!
Old 07-26-2014, 07:51 AM
Aviak

Bards are almost always welcome in groups, so that shouldn't be an issue. I would recommend you look up the lambent armor quest line and start working on those. they'll provide you with some better gear and reduce your weight from bronze, while giving you a decent break from the grind

Aabdel - Wood Elf Rogue
Abdell - Half Elf Ranger
Meladei - Half Elf Bard
<Storm Watch>
Old 07-26-2014, 11:42 AM
Fire Giant

I did the majority of my leveling grouping with RL friends. AE kiting filled in the blanks during a lot of those awkward transition periods where one dungeon is too low and another is too high, and at times when stuff was too full or my friends weren't playing, but it is entirely possible to group your way to 60.

Fear kiting is also a good thing. Don't forget that it's also possible to solo fewer than 100 mobs at a time if you're so inclined.

Every song I play is actually just me screaming the 1812 Overture in a raspy, shrieking falsetto.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:44 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aabdel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bards are almost always welcome in groups, so that shouldn't be an issue. I would recommend you look up the lambent armor quest line and start working on those. they'll provide you with some better gear and reduce your weight from bronze, while giving you a decent break from the grind
This. The cool thing about the lambent quests is that you can do them incidentally while you're levelling- you happen to be in an Lguk bedroom group and pull the gargoyles that drop the carapace for the bp, you happen to be in Unrest and kill the skeleton that drops the bracer, etc. It's a nice way to get the gear.

Every song I play is actually just me screaming the 1812 Overture in a raspy, shrieking falsetto.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:05 PM
Planar Protector

Sell spots in your group for aoe pulls in ot. Use that money to fund your gear, so it will become easier to find groups.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:57 PM
Sarnak

Lambent is not worth it - for the cost of the rubies which are required to complete the quests, you will certainly be able to buy better gear in EC for almost all the slots. People buy Lambent because it looks shiny. For bracers get Sebillite Scale or kylong, they are identical statewise. Go camp a mask of deception in Lguk, nice +SVM and stats. Get a Skull Shaped Barbute (~800pp) which is hp and mr. Mithril BP is arguably better than Lambent BP and cheaper until you can upgrade to the racial armors. If you are a wood or half elf look to save for the mystic koada'dal stuff, not sure whether human/de cultural armors are any good for bards. You're looking for Cha, Dex, MR and HP, order depends on what you're doing.

Look for a Sionache's Partisan (~500pp) for your main hand, and offhand there are a lot of options depending on your price point. Symphonic Saber (~2k) has a nice charisma boost, Sainy's Singing Dagger is cheap, Melodious Truncheon (~1000) looks cool. Guardian mace (~2.5k) has the best ratio of any bard weapon under like 10k, and Harmonic Dagger (~1k) has a nice ratio but procs a stun at later levels. Obviously have a MM Drum and go get the no drop lute from Mistmoore, it's a good place to group at your level anyway.

I think bards are the most challenging class to play well in a group, since you need to adjust what you are doing as group members shift (or prove themselves incompetent). Learn to CC is the most crucial. My general CC is to charm the first mob, /assist, and have it attack. Then, I mez the remaining mobs. You can twist about 4 songs at a time, so one charm + 3 mezzes at most. Always have single target mez up, and use it when the enchanter's pet breaks, or when you are fighting a caster to chain stun, etc.
Last edited by brecon; 07-26-2014 at 02:40 PM..
Old 07-27-2014, 08:51 PM
Planar Protector

Post above is good info.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:53 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Pulling / CC for groups was always my first love.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:57 PM
Large Bat

Thank you everyone, it has been very informative!

Found some cheap upgrades and have been fear kiting guards for more. Grouped a bit and found it very fun as a bard. Definitely a good time, and can fall back to other solo methods when no groups are available.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:06 PM
Large Rat

I would hit CE groups at MM, can get drums and lute, as well as bronze drops and lots of fine steel that rots where you can pick up and make good money. Also great spot to really practice pulls, CC, and handling hairy situations being out doors.
Closed Thread