Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 03:24 PM
Large Rat

Question Newbie starting today.

Hello there!

I've never played Everquest before and I'm currently installing the game.

Is there any threads with tips to beginners like me? Is there a manual to the game one can download anywhere, would be fun to read.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:37 AM
Kobold

Hmm the best advice I can give for your first month in game would be make sure you mow your lawn do you dishes, clean your house, let your family know you will be unavailable, take vacation from work and make sure your house is stocked with food and drink before you start, because you are about to become ADDICTED. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-25-2015, 01:09 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQuick [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is there a manual to the game one can download anywhere, would be fun to read.
I found this supplementary manual for you: http://www.angelfire.com/nt/com1/playg.html

It's from March 15, 1999, so it's probably a little more classic than P99 currently is. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 07-25-2015, 02:00 AM
Fire Giant

If you only know modern mmo's you are probably going to feel some severe growing pains. Classic eq rules but you have to earn everything. the game was meant to be a fantasy adventure simulator not a hack n slash loot fest. Game balance is not a thing and the game is unabashedly lopsided I'm places.
Exp is hard and slow, travel is dangerous, gear is mundane until it is not and then is hard to get, players range from friendly and helpful to sociopathic greedy monster people, the mechanics are often inconvenient for the sake of immersion, every class cannot do every role and most cannot solo at all, monsters don't scale add you level to keep pace they race past you.
it's fun. Enjoy it but you will be frustrated at times and you may hate it in the end
Last edited by godbox; 07-25-2015 at 02:04 AM..
Old 07-25-2015, 02:54 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by godbox [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you only know modern mmo's you are probably going to feel some severe growing pains. Classic eq rules but you have to earn everything. the game was meant to be a fantasy adventure simulator not a hack n slash loot fest. Game balance is not a thing and the game is unabashedly lopsided I'm places.
Exp is hard and slow, travel is dangerous, gear is mundane until it is not and then is hard to get, players range from friendly and helpful to sociopathic greedy monster people, the mechanics are often inconvenient for the sake of immersion, every class cannot do every role and most cannot solo at all, monsters don't scale add you level to keep pace they race past you.
it's fun. Enjoy it but you will be frustrated at times and you may hate it in the end
That is so incredibly well said. Love it.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:05 AM
Sarnak

What is your character name? Im making a brand new out of the box character with no twink gear (yet =P) and looking for some peeps to play with. If you have any questions you can look me up!
Old 07-25-2015, 09:40 AM
Large Rat

Thanks everyone for your answers, I'm currently playing as a Human Necromacer called Taniniver and I'm finding the game really difficult at the moment.

Tried attacking a monster after learning my two starting spells and I ended up missing every attack I did with my dagger and spells, causing me to die [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-25-2015, 10:18 AM
Aviak

The game is quite hard especially for the complete newb who has no experience with it at all. To balance this out, the community is one of the most helpful communities to those newbs. We have all been there and remember both the fun and pain of it.

If you don't understand something or have an issue you can ask here or in game. Use the /ooc channel to ask within the zone whatever questions you may have. You will find most of the lower level crowd in greater faydark and eastern commonlands. Elsewhere will be more sparse.

Post your in-game name so people can look to group with ya.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:25 AM
Planar Protector

I think the first thing you need to do is get into a Guild. Lot of ones that take low level people. That way you can ask questions in Guild Talk and not look like a total Noob to everyone in the zone. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

They will help you out along with other people in the zone. Maybe even be able to get some nice free gear. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-25-2015, 11:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrunner5 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the first thing you need to do is get into a Guild. Lot of ones that take low level people. That way you can ask questions in Guild Talk and not look like a total Noob to everyone in the zone. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's no point in hiding it since we're all newbies in one way or another, plus you get to talk to more strangers that way! Strangers who could potentially become friends! Or just helpful strangers!

My point is really that you don't need to be embarrassed about asking questions in public.

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Closed Thread