Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 07:56 AM
Kobold

Default What is each classes role / responsibilities in a raid?

I know that generally speaking, Knights tank, Melee and Casters DPS, and Priests Heal/Buff. But I was wondering specifically, what are some of the responsibilities and jobs of each class in a raid?

For example, I know Rogues do a lot of DPS... but don't they also do some things with Hide and Sneak? Or Wizards, they mostly nuke... but they have stun spells too, right?

I was hoping some of you raiding veterans could explain a little more specifically to me about each class and what they're expected to do in raids?

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2020, 08:16 AM
Aviak

One big class of responsibilities is pulling. A good chunk of the raid and perhaps most of the mental effort of a raid is spent pulling, whether clearing trash or setting up to kill a boss. Monks, Bards, Rangers, Druids, and sometimes Shadow Knights and Necromancers (feign death) are pullers, but mostly it's the first two that do the heavy lifting.

There are several ways to pull but the main two are kite and pick out of the kite, or (harmony and) split. Bards are huge for the first kind of pull - at least one bard will run around gathering mobs, and pullers will get mobs out of that kite and bring them to the raid. For the second kind of pull, you have monks doing their usual feign death and javelin tactics to try to split mobs apart to pull in single. If it's an outdoor zone like Plane of Hate, you can use druids and rangers to harmony the mobs (prevent them from adding when you pull).
Last edited by Vdaria; 08-28-2020 at 08:22 AM..
Old 08-28-2020, 09:59 AM
Sarnak

After Kunark (just around the corner) and especially Velious, knights will largely be replaced in raid scenarios by warriors, who dramatically outperform them in the tank role thanks to their absurdly powerful post-50 disciplines. As a bonus, warriors also tend to do a lot more damage, which just helps everyone all around.

Knights are in a good spot now and tank pretty much all classic content just fine, but I'd tend to argue that they're sort of a dead end class if you want to do serious raiding going into the expansions. They're still fabulous for group content and decent for offtanking, though.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:51 AM
Planar Protector

To be clear they aren’t a dead end class from the perspective of no one wanting them on the raid. There’s no raid size cap so hey another guy whacking the mob with a sword doesn’t hurt. But if you want to be playing a major role than yeah you won’t be on a pally or SK from Kunark on.

Similar issues exist with other classes. Like Druid for example. You’re just a buff bot and technically a backup healer but you can’t really do much as a healer compared to a Cleric. Mage you just summon mod rods because your nukes aren’t gonna stick. Bards you play songs. Etc. Raiding is a pretty boring job for a lot of classes TBH.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:37 AM
Banned

Wait, SKs don't pull for raids in Kunark+? Someone told me that Monks kind of fall off after SK's get the Circlet of Shadows.
Old 08-28-2020, 01:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecondoJoe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wait, SKs don't pull for raids in Kunark+? Someone told me that Monks kind of fall off after SK's get the Circlet of Shadows.
will the CoS FD glitch work on green? it got nerfed on blue
Old 08-28-2020, 02:51 PM
Planar Protector

A raid is comprised of a couple phases where classes are utilized differently throughout.

Getting FTE - Here bards for their speed, rangers for their track, rogues for their sneak and monks for their FD are used.

Pulling the mob to camp - Bards again for their speed and their ability to AE aggro adds, monks of course

Establishing aggro - Warrior clearly, knights, rangers can do a few things to help here like usage of their weaponshield discipline to make a little speed bump til CH chain is rolling

Fighting the mob - Suddenly the usage of the bard, ranger, monk, and rogue are much different. Rogue primarily will focus on not dying and DPSing - however may perform mid-fight corpse runs with hide/sneak. Rangers again may serve as speed bumps.

Most classes serve niche rolls in niche instances. Its not an all-in-one play style.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:58 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothsayer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
After Kunark (just around the corner) and especially Velious, knights will largely be replaced in raid scenarios by warriors, who dramatically outperform them in the tank role thanks to their absurdly powerful post-50 disciplines. As a bonus, warriors also tend to do a lot more damage, which just helps everyone all around.

Knights are in a good spot now and tank pretty much all classic content just fine, but I'd tend to argue that they're sort of a dead end class if you want to do serious raiding going into the expansions. They're still fabulous for group content and decent for offtanking, though.
For bosses yeah, still want some Knights do some trash tanking and be efficient at it (faster kill of trash == faster to get to boss). Offtanking in crazy situations is underappreciated IMO. Multiple knights won't be super needed but they still bring an OK amount to the table.

Just have multiple characters to swap. If you want to do any serious raiding you need more than one character anyway.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:00 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
will the CoS FD glitch work on green? it got nerfed on blue
Pretty sure CoS FD glitch is based off CoS item itself (and the pre-nerf one stays in game). So this wasn't a mechanic change but an item change. New CoS after the nerf won't work.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:12 PM
Sarnak

I'm not really sure warrior = only raid tank is that accurate anymore. After the clicky aggro nerfs, there's stuff where you really want the snap aggro more than you care about the durability because flipping the dragon into the mana sieving enchanters or DPS. I'm not really convinced you always want warriors over paladins, especially for Gore but also possibly not for VS or Trak.

Like, 25% misses from evasion is good against the 1500 damage lifetap bosses, but so is flat 18 seconds of immunity to lifetap + unbeatable snap aggro. I dunno, doesn't seem that clear cut to me. Guess we'll see what the meta looks like when it drops though.