Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 02:45 AM
Sarnak

Eh, I'm fine. Thanks for asking.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:41 AM
Sarnak

I don't think P99'ers could handle Takproject honestly. It isn't as easy mode with the UI changes etc. It's too classic for them.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:49 PM
Fire Giant

Running three boxes well takes some practice for sure.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:29 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I think I posted this in another thread, but if you're on the fence about takp I would consider reading this:

http://wiki.takp.info/index.php?title=Server_Comparison

I am constantly asking myself if I would prefer takp to have a no boxing rule, and honestly, it's such a fun and akurate place to play that I would definitely be there regardless of which boxing policy was adopted. I will say though that I've learned to love 3 boxing. It adds a whole new element/challenge to the game that I never really experienced before TAKP.

With that said, I hope that the population of takp improves (not that it's necessarily bad at the moment) so that boxing becomes less required. I think the release of Luclin in 2 months will help with this.
Last edited by Linkamus; 05-24-2018 at 03:48 PM..
Old 05-24-2018, 04:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome Wizard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if you could beastlord on p99 id play honestly
if they had this one thing from an era that wasn't even EQ anymore.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We also need to recall that AK /= 'Classic', at least in the way it's described here. AK was its own beast, and TAK is looking to recreate AK at the point it was discontinued years ago, not necessarily 'Classic' 1999-2001, despite the numerous crossovers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In your rush to defend TAK, you missed the part where I wasn't criticising it.

I'm actually going to give it a try.
Quote:
My point was simply that the two projects are trying to recreate two different things - P99 trying to recreate EQ as it was immediately prior to Luclin launch in 2001 (ie. the Classic era), and TAK trying to recreate the Al'Kabor server at the point at which Sony pulled the plug.

Which one is more classic either now or if/when they reach their different stated objectives, wasn't my point at all.
Quote:
Eh, I'm fine. Thanks for asking.
It's always amusing when two people have an exchange, then one of them gets banned and has their posts removed, so it looks like the other person just sat there talking to themselves on the forum for no reason [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But once you get to 60, the content for a non-raider in Velious is extremely limited and the raid scene is a raging tire fire.
To be fair, you quit playing here before or around the great TMO split-up right? The server's raid scene improved significantly after that.

I still think "tire fire" can be used to describe the raid scene, but now it's more like a smoldering tire fire than a raging one [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 05-24-2018 at 04:19 PM..
Old 05-24-2018, 04:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To be fair, you quit playing here before the great TMO split-up right? The server's raid scene improved significantly after that, compared to how it was for many years before. I still think "tire fire" can be used to describe the raid scene, but now it's more like a smoldering tire fire than a raging one [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
End game or bust.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkamus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think I posted this in another thread, but if you're on the fence about takp I would consider reading this:

http://wiki.takp.info/index.php?title=Server_Comparison
Heh, I went there expecting a comparison that played up P99's downsides and TakP's upsides (not to hate on TakP, I just expect every project to think they're the best). Instead there was only one reference to P99, and it was 100% positive: "and are in fact worse recreations than TAKP and EQ Emu's most popular server, Project 1999."

In all honesty it might be beneficial for whatever subset of players currently play here, but would be happier on TakP, if you had some sort of comparison between the two, especially since that page even admits P99 is the most popular server. It'd be great if it could be as neutral/fair as possible of course, but at least some comparison would seem beneficial.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:06 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

In all honesty it might be beneficial for whatever subset of players currently play here, but would be happier on TakP, if you had some sort of comparison between the two, especially since that page even admits P99 is the most popular server. It'd be great if it could be as neutral/fair as possible of course, but at least some comparison would seem beneficial.
I'm not sure if that would/will be necessary. I'm sure almost everyone that plays on P99 knows of TAKP, and probably knows the differences. Although a large amount are probably unaware of how uniquely accurate the combat mechanics are on TAKP, and how well and professionally the server is maintained.

I would assume that anyone on P99 that is interested in TAKP that hasn't already devoted any real time to it is likely waiting for Luclin. Putting myself in p99 shoes, why would I come over to TAKP when TAKP is only up to Velious at the moment?
Old 05-24-2018, 05:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkamus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Putting myself in p99 shoes, why would I come over to TAKP when TAKP is only up to Velious at the moment?
Why? How about 3-boxing? It's not my cup of tea, but there are undoubtedly some people here who would love to box, and probably don't know much about TakP. They might happen upon a link like the one you gave, and if they saw a breakdown of what made TakP different they might well prefer it.

I'm sure TakP has other plus sides too, and it doesn't seem like there'd be any harm in having (say) a ten row table that highlights some of the differences between the servers, as long as it's accurate and fair.

Closed Thread