Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 10:11 PM
Fire Giant

No don't use stuns. You don't have the mana to efficiently add them in at low levels. Charm breaks should simply be invis into an immediate nuke to conserve the most mana. That's why you start the fight with rune, because you will eat 1-2 rounds when you break charm.

On early charm breaks immediately recast charm as it is fast casting and the most mana efficient method of recharming. When you're higher level and have longer casting charms spells this will change though.

Quote:
I don't think those numbers can be right. Meditate is supposed to give 1 mana per tick per 10 levels of meditate, so at 25 with meditate 130, I should be getting at least 13 mana/tick (which feels right - mana fills much faster than health).
You regen 40hp a minute with troll illusion, so its a little more than 2 minutes per bar at your current health. Medding 5 bars of mana should take about 6+ minutes at your level. But my point being is you should ultimately be constrained by mana at low levels, not health. If you find yourself waiting on health too much something is wrong with your play style somewhere.
Last edited by Widan; 11-10-2019 at 10:22 PM..
Old 11-10-2019, 10:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is a spyglass adequate for GCD reset? It seems easy enough to get, if a little expensive.
A spyglass will definitely be adequate. You can even click off the zoom buff if you find that helpful or worth it. Of course, we'll all want to upgrade to an instant-click without zoom. Here's the wiki page.

My suggestion: consider duoing. Many other classes can help control the situation and help reduce your mana usage. Plus, it frees both of you from the pet-eats-some-exp problem. Things other classes can do for you: snare both mobs, malo before charm, tank a little bit sometimes, send a summoned pet, heal you, chain pull, and more. Generally speaking, when compared to soloing, duoing should increase the options for what you can accomplish, while also decreasing the risk. And it's not hard to find one other person of an appropriate class!

When you try some of this stuff, like using the Color stun(s), getting a spyglass, trying duos...let us know how it goes!
Old 11-10-2019, 10:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Since Green launched, I've gotten an enchanter to level 25, my first character past the early teens (and that was in the original Kunark era).

I've tried to charm solo a number of times, but have found it frustrating. When it works, I'll kill two mobs and end up with about 40% mana. This seems alright, not great, and meditating back to full doesn't take that long.

Much more often, I'll end up around half health. Sometimes this is because of a random charm break. Mostly it's because, after casting invisibility to intentionally break the charm, the mob gets in a few hits before I can root, mez or kill it.

Regenerating at 3/tick with about 450 health, a pull that doesn't go perfectly often leaves me sitting for 5-10 minutes to regen. Troll illusion helps a little, but this play style is ultimately more dull than I was expecting - especially compared to my level 10 necromancer, for whom soloing is a breeze.

What strategies are enchanters using to mitigate this? Is a spyglass required for enchanter soloing? Is there anything I can do to regenerate myself faster?
Like some others have said, use runes (not the short-duration ones until like 50+ because they don't last long) to shield your hp from most damage. However, I always felt the MOST important part of survival for a chanter while exping was DISTANCE. Keep your distance from the shit you're fighting. When you are at max casting distance from your charm and enemy (or enemies), and you generally keep your enemy rooted when mana permits (it should permit by your level but it doesn't in the teens usually), you have plenty of time to recharm your pet before it gets to you on a charm break or to kill or root your pet before it gets to you after you invis.

Distance, distance, distance.

Spyglass helps with going from invis to root/nuke immediately. Without, you still are fine just move back after you invis to buy the extra time to recover for your nuke/root. I'd say spyglass is pretty mandatory. It's annoying, but pretty mandatory. THey're under 100pp that I've seen on green lately. In my videos you can see me keeping root on my top slot usually iirc, because a spyglass lets you recast a root instantly after a resist.

You can use bandage and troll for regen as needed, but you really won't need that much if you do the stuff above. Especially keeping your distance. For real, not being in melee range is the best way to stay safe while leveling up. And it's pretty damn easy to do almost all the time, even in dungeons. Being too close to your pet and enemy are the #1 reason in my experienced opinion why enchanters think "charming is dangerous to use for solo leveling." You may see level 50+ enchanters able to stand in close quarters with their quarry as they exp, but that's because they have a lot more mana and better runes and multiple stuns to more effectively handle charm breaks, and even then I still don't think it's a good idea to be close to anything you're charming unless the dungeon forces it or you're dealing with level 51+ mobs. Doing this instead of using distance to protect you (and runes as a safety measure) is like purposely using a larger nuke than you need to finish off a mob - you're using more mana than you need to, which obviously slows down your exp.

Use downgraded nukes to finish off a mob without using extra mana.

Meditating is 1 mana per 12 skill, plus the base 2 for being seated.

I assume you're only ever charming or otherwise casting on stuff that you've already tashed (though mezzing stuff you haven't tashed yet is fine - with charisma you won't basically ever get resists on blue mobs anyways, I'd do this to split a two-spawn sometimes by mezzing one, tashing the other, charming the tashed one, tashing the first and rooting as pet engages, all possible without getting meleed by using max casting range and telescope).

Downtime is higher than blue guides/videos/memories because there's no breeze or clarity (or wandering mind, ToT, and C2), less charisma gear readily available, etc.

Otherwise it sounds like you're ok, fighting against low blues and up in the 20s you should start to notice charm functioning better when you're dealing with them compared to trying to use it in the teens. Etc.

Unfortunately I don't have Noman leveling videos starting at the very beginning, but I do have them starting around 30, and if you check those out you can see me using these things to solo effectively with little/no twinking. IIRC Noman started charm solo at 15 or 16 in Kerra Isle basically untwinked and these strats were already working pretty dang well at that point. https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=245100
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 11-10-2019 at 10:49 PM..
Old 11-11-2019, 12:19 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When you try some of this stuff, like using the Color stun(s), getting a spyglass, trying duos...let us know how it goes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
videos and tips
Interesting video - I watched the gators in CT. That goblin gaz ring really makes a difference, but I can see how the spyglass might be enough to make this work.

Takeaways from this thread -
  • Get a spyglass
  • Create more distance
  • Use rune
  • Try color stun

I'm going to try all this and see if charm soloing gets a bit quicker and more reliable.

After the spyglass, what's a good clicky available on Green? The stein/shovel/broom/torch with reclaim energy?
Old 11-11-2019, 04:12 AM
Planar Protector

Soon, Temple of Solusek Ro will be added and that will grant you the Rod of Insidious Glamour quest. Another one to consider is Star of Eyes. Both of these require a target, however (can't cast it if your target bar is clear - but it will work if you target yourself or a corpse or anything - totally possible to work around this). I can't think of any more classic ones until...Amulet of Necropotence. But, shall we say, that costs more than a 50p spyglass.

For wizards, the flux staff and acumen mask are a nice pair.

We'll have to wait until Kunark for the Shrunken Goblin Skull Earring and the Bracer of the Hidden.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:20 AM
Kobold

I mained an enchanter on blue -- just group until 40 plus or they put in clarity. I found it too inefficient.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:40 AM
Fire Giant

as Heads up before you break said charm with invis. Tell your pet to /pet guard here.

Then run away max distance.. invis.. cast roll/mez and win[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mama Vinelsier Lepermesiah Server 1st 60 Grave Lord(And only The Grave Lord)//Resilak 50 Monk//Tenchi Masaki 50 Wizard//Jaskieer 48 Bard// Heeheehee Teeheehee 57 Mage// Belll Cranel 50 Monkdrackgon 54 rogue, Cuddlezzz 60 shaman
RIP<Gathered Might>
Old 11-11-2019, 09:50 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
  • Try color stun
No. Don't do this except as a last resort or when killing level 51+ mobs.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:51 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
I'm doing high greens and blues with 180 CHA
Woh woh woh. Hold up now. How are you at 180 CHA at 24? What you got equipped, man? A Crude Stein for certain. What else?
Old 11-11-2019, 09:53 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by drackgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
as Heads up before you break said charm with invis. Tell your pet to /pet guard here.

Then run away max distance.. invis.. cast roll/mez and win[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What am I missing? How does the pet guard help?
Closed Thread