Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 08:24 PM
Fire Giant

Default How does a Wizard get into dungeons?

Title of thread, looking for advice on that matter. If I were to roll a wizard and wanted to be able to get into dungeon groups, for everything from doing the Staff of Temperate Flux quest (which require SolA and Perma) to getting gear out of Sebilis one day in a group, how can it be done?

I like the class thematically and I keep wanting to roll one, but the fact that they seem so shunned has kind of put me off to it.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:31 PM
Planar Protector

Nah I love having wizards in my group!

If anything it's nice to see a variety of people out there, so do us all a favor and make one [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-07-2021, 08:36 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nah I love having wizards in my group!

If anything it's nice to see a variety of people out there, so do us all a favor and make one [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Truth be told I've tried numerous times but I've only gotten to level 20 at the very highest. It's the dread of being unable to do anything later that kind of stopped me. But it is the class from a thematic standpoint that I can identify with most. I love blasting things, I love ending fights quickly, and Red/Blue were my main colors in MtG. xD

The breaking point was when someone told me that no one's going to even want my ports later because I can't send them on their way with a SoW like a druid can.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:45 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The breaking point was when someone told me that no one's going to even want my ports later because I can't send them on their way with a SoW like a druid can.
I've never played a wizard, but I have a really hard time believing no one wants a port from a wizard. I think a lot of people have jboots, so not getting sow from your porter wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Something that hasn't been mentioned is joining a guild and making yourself seen as much as possible. I remember a wizard on blue who would almost always drop what she was doing to port guildies. She was nice enough, but the main thing was that people saw her almost every day and that she was more than willing to port whoever needed it.

IMO if you take what others have said about playing a wizard in a group, plus joining and becoming a regular in a guild you won't have too many issues finding people to group with.
Old 04-09-2021, 04:53 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falditin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've never played a wizard, but I have a really hard time believing no one wants a port from a wizard. I think a lot of people have jboots, so not getting sow from your porter wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Something that hasn't been mentioned is joining a guild and making yourself seen as much as possible. I remember a wizard on blue who would almost always drop what she was doing to port guildies. She was nice enough, but the main thing was that people saw her almost every day and that she was more than willing to port whoever needed it.

IMO if you take what others have said about playing a wizard in a group, plus joining and becoming a regular in a guild you won't have too many issues finding people to group with.
It might be because it's Green and definitely not everyone would have Jboots. But you are correct, on Blue wizard ports are probably more valuable. There are translocations to bind and all that good stuff.

But yup I plan on giving ports to everyone that asks. I want to be that nice member of the community. xD And it's not hard to set up a bind at wherever I'm currently hunting. I won't be that guy tthat's always /anon, I promise.

That said, too, I'm trying to find my way into a guild as well.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:32 PM
Planar Protector

Have you tried making the groups yourself?

Also be useful , but blow your load then sit afk, use root/snare/killing shots

-Shinko Guild Leader <Safe Space> Green
Old 04-07-2021, 09:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Truth from Shinko here. You can even get into the fungi camp (a super-popular camp, where most people know exactly what classes they want for 5/6 of the slots) ... as long as you fill that 6th slot with yourself ... by being the one to form the group. Show up early [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:13 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm just sadly not that good at networking. I wish it weren't the case but I've always been super socially awkward and inept. Been playing these types of games for years (Live EQ since 1999, WoW when it came out, and then P99 now) and I've always struggled hard at forging connections with other people and organizing things.

Always wanted to find a guild for this sort of thing. I know folks with friends don't really have to worry about this kind of situation.

But yup, I still want to roll a wizard, just afraid it's not going to go anywhere for that reason. Can anyone help?
Old 04-08-2021, 11:14 AM
Planar Protector

So first off, if you just want to level up, Manakim has a very simple/correct answer: forget about groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manakim [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
why would you want groups when you can quad? =P
But if you want loot, ie. if you ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
wanted to be able to get into dungeon groups, for everything from doing the Staff of Temperate Flux quest (which require SolA and Perma) to getting gear out of Sebilis one day in a group
Then this:
Quote:
I'm just sadly not that good at networking.
has nothing to do with it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Putting together groups in dungeons works like this:
  1. /ooc cc
  2. see what camps are free
  3. /who lfg
  4. see who is available to group
  5. if no one is LFG, try again later, but hopefully there will be several different classes LFG (and at normal hours, in popular dungeons like Sebilis or The Hole, this will tend to be the case)
  6. start sending tells to the LFG people: "hey I'm starting a ____ camp group, want to join?"
  7. if you are missing a key class (eg. there are LFG people, but no tanks or no clerics), do a
    Code:
    /who all class lfg startOfLevelRange endOfLevelRange
    ... eg.
    Code:
    /who all cleric lfg 50 60
  8. send those people tells until one agrees to join ("hey want a ____ camp group in ____ zone?"); ask people in zones with druid/wizard rings first, as they can likely get a port quickly
  9. if you still can't find one key class, ask the rest of your group if they know anyone of that class (eg. in their guild) who is LFG
  10. go kill stuff with your new group (no actual "networking" required); if you're still missing a key class, try and do the camp without them (slowly) while you wait for someone to show up on /who

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 04-08-2021 at 11:19 AM..
Old 04-08-2021, 01:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So
  1. good advice
When forming groups, I'd forget about searching LFG, just search for players in the level range of each role you want to fill. Often people will be flagged LFG, but aren't really lfg. Very often people will be open to getting something fun started up, even if they aren't LFG.

I feel you often get better players if you invite people who aren't flagged LFG. Someone who has flagged LFG then sat somewhere doing nothing is likely not to be in the mood for pro-active play.
Closed Thread