Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 03:25 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Fresh Install No Server Name

I have just recently just installed again to play green. This problem has never occured when I went to play on blue used the same vid to help guide me and worked last time on same computer and windows 10. I fresh install delete the files and copy the new ones. When I make the shortcut and etc I think go to log in everything is normal. But it always says no server name and my password and username after entering will say DB error. I never hit the patch EQ button so I need some EQ Green in my life. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-24-2020, 11:29 AM
Planar Protector

What does your eqhost.txt file look like?
Old 01-24-2020, 12:05 PM
Sarnak

I used to get a black server list and I used this post to help. But this is a fix for linux. so i'm not sure how it will translate to Win10 .
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...ight=middleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Geez, sorry you had such a rough time. All I had to do was copy my EQ install from Windows, install the latest graphics drivers, and run P99 Middlemand:

https://github.com/Zaela/p99-login-middlemand
Old 01-24-2020, 01:01 PM
Planar Protector

This comes up so often I really need a wiki page for it. For now I'll try to do a TL;DR:
  • P99 has unique considerations (crazed ex-players attacking the servers and such). Because of this, Rogean uses what I call "networking cleverness" to protect it (I'm not in dev ops and so don't know the details of what he actually does).
  • Some lucky players (like you!) have that "cleverness" interact in a bad way with your network (your ISP + your modem in your home + any routers/extenders + your network card + your networking settings). Solution #1 to this problem is to change some piece of all that to resolve the problematic interaction. This is free, but it can be a hassle (although people are willing to help, and I think that's where Argh was going with his post)
  • IF you're on Linux, this problem will affect you more, and that P99 Middleman D program (option #2) might help ... but if you fall into what I was talking about in the previous point, even that program won't (it basically helps people whose network works fine on Windows, but when they switch to Linux things break)
  • If you're not on Linux or P99 Middleman D doesn't help, you either have to debug your network as I said, or go with option #3: a VPN. For $5 a month you can ignore everything else I wrote and P99 will just magically work on whatever operating system you have (plus you can download Bit Torrent without your ISP yelling at you) ... but it costs $5/month

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:12 PM
Sarnak

Not to shill, but i recently came across this VPN I was lucky because im already signed up for their email service but its a free alternative if youre just needing to use or wanting to try a VPN for EverQuest only. protonvpn.com I use protonmail and is how i learned of the service they are both free to use for the basic plans.
Good luck and see you in Norath soon.