Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 12:50 AM
Orc

Default Questions for Ranger character creation

So I am planning on rerolling from my low level ranger after deciding that I like the class, but was not satisfied with my name and race.

-I am wondering how i should alot my starting stats for a human ranger.

-I heard that in the long run starting stat choice will not make or break your game, and I have also heard the stance of "you might as well go all into STA".

-I am not really playing this game for a perfect lvl 50 endgame character. I am interested in how putting different points into different stats will effect the enjoyability of my playing experience before stats can be adequately boosted by gear.

STR - from what i see a large bonus of throwing into this will be carrying all the useless crap i tend to have around. Additionally more damage is always fun

STA - I am not too hopeful that putting points into stamina will have much of a bearing on my HP for quite a while, and do not really see this as a priority

AGI - dodging... thats pretty much it, right? I dont see much enjoyability benefits in dumping in this particularly

DEX - Since this effects how fasts skills level up (am I correct?) I could see it being useful so my skills are maxed out by the time i level, but since rangers are hybrid and level slow, will I be maxing out consistently anyways? Also if dexterity has a separate impact on archery, I could see the enjoyment utility in being more able to bow kite (will I perceive a difference in my bow kiting/general bow use during earlier levels by pumping DEX?)

WIS - for a class that has spells it seems to me like base 80 leaves something to be desired. Will I feel the additional mana, or lack thereof during say lvl 9 - 30ish ? I want to be able to enjoy as much diversity as the class provides, and wouldnt want to be kicking myself in the ass at lvl 9 because I could get a couple more spells off with better base wisdom (helping kiting etc).

INT/CHA - everybody loves a charming and intelligent person, so this is kind of what I was leaning towards in the first place.

As I said before, I am not interested in maximizing the power of my ranger at a higher level if it is at the cost of the fun I can have during the lower levels. Afterall when i played in 1999 i was like 9 or 10 and the nostalgia factor only really extends into the early 20s(lvl wise)

I hope this isnt too awfully long and that some of you with more experience with rangers and the game mechanics in general are willing and capable of helping me here.

Thanks.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:54 AM
Planar Protector

Here ya go. Enjoy! We're glad to have ya!

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
if your reason to be here is to ruin other peoples experiences and grief them off the server, then not only do you not deserve the privilege of playing here, but i will remove your ability to do so.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:10 AM
Fire Giant

As a ranger your existence is pointless and henceforth your stat distribution is pointless. If you could figure out what exactly a ranger is sposed to do that would help. But anyway, full into stamina for any melee is my advice. Its not even a question for melee imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruman View Post
Hahaha, that is awesome. Right up there with...that one guy's....boat service before the boats worked.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:30 AM
Sarnak

Charisma, so people might like you more...........nevermind that wont help. You're still a ranger!

kidding

Server first Golden Sash of WTFPWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Unlike modern life, natural selection is alive and well on p99. Adapt or die.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:58 AM
Planar Protector

full dex!

. more procs while soloing and farming
. lower missrate on your swings

sta is of no use since u arent suposed to get hit on raids
str is of no use if u miss in the first place (-> dex)
Old 02-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Kobold

Starting a ranger? Why not just tuck your junk between your legs and call it a night?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Aviak

This just in Dex doesn't effect accuracy.

I'd take a ranger along in my group just so I could use my "Ranger Down!" macro.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Planar Protector

Dex might have an effect on bow crits or the power of your bow hits. dunno about that for sure, though - I know STR does because it affects ATK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Kobold

dex indeed affects both bow crit rate & damage done with your bow.

melee-wise, it only affects your weapon procs, and dual wield/double attack procs possibly?

you really can't go wrong with your stats as long as you avoid agi/int entirely tbh.

you're probably best to not touch wis either, humans are fine with base.
Closed Thread