Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Old 05-28-2022, 12:05 AM
Banned

Default Your ideal red server setup

Here it is, my final hurrah, my last contribution to feedback into red in the hopes that devs are watching and taking some hints from player feedback. We may or may not ever get another red server, but to me it would really be a sad affair to have another meme setup and watch, groundhog day style population numbers decrease steadily during the first weeks. After this i will take a huge break and watch from time to time but it will give me "closure" and move on to other things.

-------------------------------------------

Gonna keep it simple.

- FFA 4 levels

- No xp loss in pvp

- xp group bonus. Soloing is boring and nostalgia will not help now that most of us have experienced EQ again one time through one server or another. When all else fails, you solo.

- Item loot 1 item ONLY IF the devs can be bothered to code no drop sets that will offset the harshness of losing items. The sets are just lesser versions of regular gear that is found for that level range on regular mobs' loot tables with maybe some pieces on nameds/rarer mobs. Maybe even let crafters make the basic pieces no drop.

It will 1) Make Gfay what it was on Rallos: A big economy hub for items trade and low level pvp hub. 2) Kill RMT 95% as most anyone isnt stupid enough to pay 50$ for a lootable fungi.

If devs dont have the manpower / dont want to do this, then just coin loot no item loot. Re-reading my post before pressing go makes me see that my item loot setup would be top tweak eq emu while keeping it vanilla but quite a bit of work so 1.0 setup seems to be the way to go, without the xp loss debacle of the first 1.5 years.

I may be forgetting something, ill add it later if it comes up.
Last edited by Tradesonred; 05-28-2022 at 12:15 AM..
Old 05-28-2022, 12:07 AM
Planar Protector

rallos zek + firiona vie
Old 05-28-2022, 12:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
rallos zek + firiona vie
Lets make this thread something worth reading with some constructiveness. What do you mean, expand on that a little? I dont think i even ever knew what the FV setup was.
Old 05-28-2022, 03:17 AM
Fire Giant

I played tallon zek back in the day, teams. Is true that on raid lvl guilds were formed by a mix of races and during guild fights there would be some targets you couldnt literally attack but u can still disarm a raid force, meanwhile outside of the raid scene and while leveling up people have a safer sense since not everyone can kill them and they can hang out in areas they race control, so its a safer environment to lvl up while still having enough pvp options.
My 2 cents
Old 05-28-2022, 10:16 AM
Sarnak

I'll keep it short, cause it's all been discussed before.

TEAMS with /guildwar function enabled. Guilds can go total war and KOS everyone if they choose. Appeases to the FFA crowd & Team crowd.

Teams is a classic feature... /guildwar also classic.

Maybe sprinkle in some item loot for flavor. Would be a huge blow to RMT, and would be interesting especially if zones became sort of territory based with certain teams monopolizing dungeons.

Elendil's Giveaway
Old 05-28-2022, 10:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_PVP [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'll keep it short, cause it's all been discussed before.

TEAMS with /guildwar function enabled. Guilds can go total war and KOS everyone if they choose. Appeases to the FFA crowd & Team crowd.

Teams is a classic feature... /guildwar also classic.
Im making this thread in the hope that we can weight the pros and cons of each setup, and have it all in one thread instead of spread out. So when and if red 2.0 is announced, we can just point to this thread and tell em please look at this before you put the setup in stone.

With respect, personally i dont see the appeal of that setup, unless im missing something. Part of my criticism of teams is if one team starts to win heavily, it might demoralize everyone else and we have a server that is once again bleeding players heavily, which might even happen the first year. This would be a repeat of red 1.0.

This solves nothing about this and adds on top that a big guild like seal team can cockblock PVE content by declaring war on smaller guilds on their own team.
Old 05-28-2022, 11:19 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradesonred [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Im making this thread in the hope that we can weight the pros and cons of each setup, and have it all in one thread instead of spread out. So when and if red 2.0 is announced, we can just point to this thread and tell em please look at this before you put the setup in stone.

With respect, personally i dont see the appeal of that setup, unless im missing something. Part of my criticism of teams is if one team starts to win heavily, it might demoralize everyone else and we have a server that is once again bleeding players heavily, which might even happen the first year. This would be a repeat of red 1.0.

This solves nothing about this and adds on top that a big guild like seal team can cockblock PVE content by declaring war on smaller guilds on their own team.
Well honestly the same thing can, and does happen on FFA servers. One guild gains dominance and steamrolls everyone. Unfortunately, people will always be sheep and always want the easy path. In this case, easy path to pixels.

There would maybe need to be certain measures put in place to curb people abusing the /guildwar system, obviously. If the devs ever considered it, I'm sure it would get fleshed out further. But just off the top of my head and to give you an idea:
  • You can't just declare war, attack your own team, then leave the guild right away to be non-KOS to avoid PVP.
  • Perhaps a limit on the amount of guilds you can be at war with at any given time? 5 active wars seems reasonable.
  • This in turn may bring a political sense back into the game, sort of like old RZ. Guilds would be inclined to parlay and make peace eventually, so they can then war other guilds.
  • NO RULES / Sullon Zek style. Training is allowed.

Teams is essential to attract the numbers we need. The bluebie numbers. That is step one. People want the safety net of a team environment early on otherwise they won't invest time in the server. End game is where the PVP will get vicious, political, and brutal. It will be hard for 1 guild to hold top spot with a whole other team opposed against them, as well as possibly the top 5 contending guilds on their OWN TEAM as their enemy. With training and no rules, no crying, anything goes tactics. (except blatant hacking)

Elendil's Giveaway
Old 05-28-2022, 11:45 AM
Planar Protector

Me and 2 or 3 elf pals vs whatever the server throws at us - friend or foe.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 05-28-2022, 01:23 PM
Banned

I see the appeal of teams though, as in its a pain in the ass to harass people starting out on teams vs how relatively easy it is on FFA. Holocaust took advantage of this during the first week or 2 of red by blocking the entrance of Guk, training people with a high level cleric, probably a char they took shifts in leveling and inflicting xp death on people 10vs2 regularly. No xp loss is way less punishing so its a question of how many people would enjoy low level pvp, i know i do.

Typing this, i realize it would be one pitfall. A guy who trains you, but you cant kill him. So that would be one point against an anything goes train-wise setup. Someone from say, shorties team could create a troll char to cockblock people from using guk.

Another edit: maybe youre right about pvp only happening at high levels and to me its a con. We already had this on red and (to me) it was a journey that was alot more boring than my time on rallos, where i only reached lvl44 in 1.5 years or something because it was so much fun to mess around on the way up. Im not sure where zones start to interact with a teams setup, 30-40 to me would be an acceptable middle ground where i still get to enjoy pvp but newbs are safer.

I mean im all for something fresh and new but i keep my expectations down because if its a setup that needs to be babysat it might not work out long run as they seem to dont have the manpower or willingness to keep an eye on how the server is evolving. But if devs are willing to put in extra work id totally play a tweaked out teams server.
Last edited by Tradesonred; 05-28-2022 at 01:35 PM..
Old 05-28-2022, 01:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradesonred [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lets make this thread something worth reading with some constructiveness. What do you mean, expand on that a little? I dont think i even ever knew what the FV setup was.
rallos zek item loot pvp

firona vie has no no drop items