Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 07:28 AM
Large Rat

Default Should I not use animaton pet as Ench?

I just read that you get a 50% exp penalty if the pet does over 50% dmg to the mob -- as an Enchanter it's hard to keep up with the damage of the pet - should I not be using the pet at all? What is the most effective way to level?

(I'm only lvl 3 rn)
Old 05-13-2019, 11:47 AM
Planar Protector

Just make sure the pet dies/gets reclaimed and they won't take any exp even if they did 99% damage.

Your best bet is to find someone else to duo with, though, and have them let you get aggro and take a hit so pet engages.

The pet exp penalty goes away when grouped.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:12 PM
Fire Giant

as a fresh low level enchanter, I would highly recommend asking a higher level magician to make you a Modulation Rod and use that to melee with, and store it on a level 1 corpse alt between play sessions on your run from levels 1-8. You will easily outdamage your animation with its ratio, and after level 8 you start getting real combat spells (well, for an enchanter) so that outdamaging the animation isn't an issue.

Some players are okay with frequent charm breaks in using charm from level 12+. Some like myself aren't and will use an animation up to about level 20, at which point you get your first Charisma buff and really shouldn't be using the animation past that.

The big issue with charm breaks are your level when compared to the target's level, the target's magic resistance, and your charisma as a tertiary value. In the teens, something that cons blue to you doesn't have as much level-room leeway when compared to your actual level as you gain in the 20's, in which case mobs stay blue for more levels.

Edit - this isn't to say that you'll never ever use an Animation for hunting as an enchanter over Charming. In some cases, specifically dungeon diving for key mob killing, popping out an animation, buffing it, turning it into a werewolf, etc, is an efficient way of making something dead in cramped spaces. There are a few good videos on Youtube showing off how it works and why it's a good idea in those specific cases.

Edit 2 - Crede below is honestly right. At 16 with Breeze in your spellbook, stop the melee and start charming if you've been reluctant in doing it.
Last edited by NegaStoat; 05-13-2019 at 03:29 PM..
Old 05-13-2019, 03:26 PM
Planar Protector

Lvl 1-16 for an Enc - just beg for buffs in EC, Put LFG up 24/7, and take whatever drugs you need to to get through that grind, letting your pet eat xp or finding a duo partner where pet penalty is cancelled out.

16-60 on an enc is a cakewalk.

GL
Old 05-13-2019, 03:43 PM
Large Rat

>store it on a level 1 corpse alt

what does that mean?
Old 05-13-2019, 03:45 PM
Large Rat

> store it on a level 1 corpse alt

what does that mean?
Old 05-13-2019, 05:02 PM
Large Rat

What happens at lvl 16 that makes it easier?
Old 05-13-2019, 07:38 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
>store it on a level 1 corpse alt

what does that mean?
Ah, sorry. Just got back. Mage summoned items and other special items, like Shadowed Men weapons, are marked as No Rent. What this means is that they will be gone from the game after 30 minutes of your character being camped out. A way to get around this is to drop the No Rent item(s) on the ground, log out, and log in a level 1 alt to pick the item(s) back up, and then have them punch a guard and die.

The alt will leave a corpse which will hold the No Rent items until the corpse is looted. Assuming that you are low level, chances are good that you're hunting in areas close to your race's starting town. Just make a level 1 alt and store your mage summoned weapons, bandages, or whatever on their corpse and then get them once more on a new play session and drop them on the ground for your main to pick up.

As for the question about what happens at level 16 that makes things easier, Enchanters get their first mana recovery buff called Breeze at 16. While you can start charming things to kill for leveling at 12, roots and charms will break sort of frequently and you'll be using a lot of mana to keep up your kill rate. The Breeze spell helps a LOT with this.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:27 PM
Large Rat

Thanks for clarifying!
Old 05-14-2019, 08:07 AM
Large Rat

a kind soul summoned a Modulation Rod rod for me -- but when I dropped it and logged out, it wasn't there anymore when I got on an alt D:
Closed Thread